Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Love my dog

SandraP
September 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
I have a beautiful, quiet, lovable 9 year old minature schauzer. We purchased her from a reputable breeder and she has been very healthy. The whole family dearly loves her.

The breeder has let me babysit another of her dogs. This dog was used for breeding and will be use one more time. She too is a lovely girl. My dog was of course is jealous and it has been just a few days that the new one has been with us.

I have taken the new dog her and my dog for walks and have found that the entire world is new to her. She did not know for instance she was running into water. Schaunzers do not like water. She also does not know how to play. This of course leads me to beleive she has not been socialized. Worse of all she growls and is aggressive around other dogs while we are at the park.

I have already become attached to her and hate the idea of her going back to the breeders home, where she lives in her own crate with 9 others.

Is this new additional too difficult for my own schaunzer? Will she just learn to accept this other dog in our house?

Do you have any ideas on how to socialize her so she won't growl and bark at other dogs?

I truly love animals of all kinds and think of my involvment with this dog as a rescue. She was never harmed or treated poorly, but I do not think she was given any time outside the breeder house and yard and dog shows.

What are your thoughts?:ca:

Frenchy
September 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
We purchased her from a reputable breeder

The breeder has let me babysit another of her dogs. This dog was used for breeding and will be use one more time.

the entire world is new to her. This of course leads me to beleive she has not been socialized.

going back to the breeders home, where she lives in her own crate with 9 others.

She was never harmed or treated poorly, but I do not think she was given any time outside the breeder house and yard and dog shows.

Reputable breeder ? I don't think so !!!! :wall: This is a BYB / mini puppy mill. :mad:

To answer your question , yes dogs can change. I fostered 3 females from puppy mills , some of them are worse than others ... it can take up to 1-2 years before they feel comfortable with their new life. Never 100% comfy , some will always be a bit anxious. It does take time , patience , positive reinforcement and of course , lots of love !

Soter
October 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Going back to her own crate with 9 others?
Im gonna have to agree with Frenchy about the mini puppy mill buisness.....

Hope it all goes well, and welcome to the forum

erykah1310
October 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I know plenty of reputable breeders who have more than 9 dogs ( not all breeding though, most are retired)
The crate all day thing does scream BYB or miller, I don't like crates much for that reason alone, far too many people use them the same way many parents use T.V's for babysitters.
I feel if you are overwhelmed with your dogs being dogs in your house, then indeed you have too many.
With our 4 dogs, they are all allowed to play and romp together in the house ( when Meik decides he wants to come in which is rare)

As for the DA... I have no suggestions, all dogs are different. We sucessfuly worked through major dog aggression with one of ours, but it was a long hard road, well worth taking.
What worked for our guy wont neccisarily work in your situation. Alot of aggression issues need to be worked on from the root of the problem.
Perhaps consult a behaviourist. That was our first step of many with Meik and I'm happy we went that route right away.

Good luck.
Hopefully you can convince the breeder that she doesn't need to have another litter or return to "lock down"