Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need opinions on horses neglect ...

Frenchy
September 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
I've lived here almost 4 years now. 2-3 times (before this week) some horses wondered behind my yard , and went back after a few minutes. But last Sunday , there were 2 , looked ok other than their manes and tails in terrible conditions. I called animal control , he got here , the horses were gone. He knows the owner , says the horses have food , water and shelter (the owner doesn't live on the land they're on) but doesn't have time to brush them. Or reinforce the fence it seems :frustrated: so I told him to tell the owner I complained about the situation. Tonight , 2 others showed up , this time mini horses , same condition. Now , is this enough to make an official complaint ? (I left a message to the animal control guy but he hasn't called back, the horses stayed much longer this time)

Frenchy
September 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
You can see the tail here ....

aslan
September 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
aaaw poor babies. i get the impression him telling you that they have food,water and shelter that they aren't going to do anything about it.:sad:

Frenchy
September 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
aaaw poor babies. i get the impression him telling you that they have food,water and shelter that they aren't going to do anything about it.:sad:

The animal control here .... is a man , his wife and daughter. They are not getting paid for this ! The only money they get is from selling dog's licenses ! He has no authority on this. The man does it because he loves animal , but he , himself , is struggling to buy food for all the dogs he has , results from all the pick ups he makes. He tries to adopt them out to good families.

luckypenny
September 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Can these horses make it to the road :eek: ?

Frenchy, call the police next time. If they can get on the highway, someone, including the horses can get seriously hurt.

Frenchy
September 23rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Can these horses make it to the road :eek: ?
Yes !!! :wall:
Frenchy, call the police next time. If they can get on the highway, someone, including the horses can get seriously hurt.
that's what I told animal control last Sunday. :frustrated: Poodletalk just sent me the e-mail of someone with RR horses rescue (the lady who told me about Chloe :)) I sent her the pics.

14+kitties
September 23rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Those manes are in terrible shape! You would think they could do something about that! If he doesn't have time to look after them then why does he have them? :wall::wall::wall:

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Poor horses. :sad: I hope something can be done. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

coppperbelle
September 24th, 2008, 05:20 AM
There were two horses in the same condition near my cottage. Of course there is no animal control out that way. Last fall we had freezing rain one night and the poor horses were left outside without any protection. You should have seen their manes and tails, they must have weighed a ton. The owner is a really old man and his daughter comes everyday to take care of him.
Fortunately I know there are people in the area who stop and tell the owner to fix the situation and they do in their own time.

BenMax
September 24th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Forget about animal control. These pictures should be sent to Anima Quebec (though they are probably useless) or contact the MSPCA or even SPCA Monteregie.

The horses appear to be of good body weight which does not work in their favour for a seizure - but then again who knows.

The horse rescue in Alexandria is EXCELLENT. The woman that runs this is very driven to save horses (among other animals).

If the guy is willing to give them up, then the horse rescue may be able to assist without going through all the red tape trying to have them removed legally.

I can give you some information on how to go about any of the three options. Let me know and I will provide all contacts.

badger
September 24th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Anima Quebec - who dat? ;)

Purpledomino
September 24th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I agree that they look in good weight, and I would bet that these guys are just finding a way to escape their pasture, or their fence is in disrepair. As bad as their manes and tales look, I doubt that alone is grounds for any kind of seizure, and I don't think you will get anywhere with animal control with that since they definately aren't hurting for groceries.

What we do around here when there are loose horses, which happens quite often actually...we contact the police because of the danger of them wandering, damaging property and endangering people by being on the roadside. I can't count how many loose horses I have caught around this area, but usually it's pretty easy to find the owner, and they take care of it. The police can hopefully give a talking to the owners if these guys are escaping often, as it is a definately a danger to have them on the road, and enforcing some kind of bylaw might keep these horses where they belong.

I made a complaint regarding a neighbours horses several years ago, because they had long and neglected feet. Those horses were fed sporadically, and managed to keep their weight (quarterhorses) enough that the SPCA would do nothing. Basically, if they don't look starved, have food and water and no visible health conditions that need treating, the authorities say all it well. Unfortunately horse owners have different levels of what good horse husbandry is I guess. :shrug:

BenMax
September 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Exactly! For those that do not know, this is where complaints on animal cruelty and/or neglect is suppose to go. They are government run - but seem to have another agenda. Try reaching them at lunch hour. In my opinion they are ridiculous and with the government red tape to go along with them. But - apparently this is where complaints are to be made. Been there and done that - you get the complete runaround.

Frenchy
September 24th, 2008, 11:12 AM

:laugh: I think I may heard about them but never quite understood what they suppose to be doing because ... well ... they don't do nothing :mad:

I e-mailed the horse rescue last night , waiting for an answer. And the animal control guy didn't call me back ... next time I will call the SQ (provincial police)

AmericanBullMom
September 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I have had horses my entire life, and unfortunately this is breaking my heart! BUT!, these horses ARE in pretty good shape other than their manes and tails. You can tell they tails have probably NEVER been brushed... and they look matted, which pulls on the skin on the tail. It does look like they are eating well, but it could be just big hay bellies. I hope that this is taken care of soon! otherwise ship em' to Florida! My boy could use some new fur brothers and sisters!

BenMax
September 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Try to get a look at the hooves. Usually the signs of neglect can be detected there. If they are this pudgy it could be over eating or wrong diet. This can cause a horse to founder and if untreated this can be very painful and is not cureable but can be under control with the correct diet.

Also, if the hooves have not been tended to this as well is a good indication that there are signs of neglect. They should appear nicely rounded with not curling, splitting or breakage.

Do you think that this guy would give them up? If so, then I will try to assist you in finding homes for them. It may be an option.

I wonder how the heck they managed swatting flies this summer with a tail like that. I guess they 'clubbed' them! Poor horses. This makes my blood boil!

Frenchy
September 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Try to get a look at the hooves.

ok , city AND a french girl here :laughing: hooves ? you mean feet right ? :o

I wonder how the heck they managed swatting flies this summer with a tail like that. I guess they 'clubbed' them! Poor horses. This makes my blood boil!

Exactly what I was thinking :sad: their tails move a bit but mostly just swings :sad:

BenMax
September 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Exactly what I was thinking :sad: their tails move a bit but mostly just swings :sad:

Sorry - oui mon amie - feet.

rainbow
September 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM
If the :loser: owner can't be bothered to brush their manes and tails I'm thinking he can't be bothered to look after their hooves as well. :sad:

Good luck Frenchy. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

BenMax
September 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM
If the :loser: owner can't be bothered to brush their manes and tails I'm thinking he can't be bothered to look after their hooves as well. :sad:

My thought as well, however what better way to prove neglect. The horses 'seem' in good shape but the hooves speak a thousand words.

Frenchy
September 24th, 2008, 08:58 PM
So animal control never called me back .... he knows me and knows what I do (rescue) and he knows the owner so I'm thinking he warned him good because he doesn't want me to cause any troubles. I haven't seen the horses since I got back. I will try to find them this week end to look at the hooves.

growler~GateKeeper
September 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
:sad: poor horses must be painful :sad:

If the person looking after them is not the owner and they are not grooming them, and the owner is not grooming them, has the owner actually been there to see the condition they are in? Does the owner know the horses are not groomed & are this badly matted w/burrs?

Boubou
September 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Frenchy, if you can approach them, put a (dog)leash on the halter and try to cut out some of the burrs. Also, a good dog slicker brush works well on getting burrs out of the mane and tails. Keep them busy with some apples and carrots. If you don't think you can do this and it's you see them on Sat. or Sun. call me, I'll bring my clipper and we'll get them out.

Frenchy
September 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for your offer Boubou !

Got a reply from the horse rescue , it's not unusual for horses , specially those mini ones , to get burs on them. And since they look very healthy , there's not much they can do but they would rescue them if the owner wants to surrender them.

Lise
September 27th, 2008, 07:07 AM
If you want to get in touch with Rose at the Refuge she can help you.We'll be at the Beaconsfield CAAQ thing too with a booth for more info on horse rescue.Use a mane cmb or a wide tooth metal dog comb to get out burrs,but if you are not used to handling horses,do not go and start grooming strange horses and do not put dog leashes or anything else around their necks,if they get loose from you it is dangerous for them.

erykah1310
September 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Hoof care is really cheap, and its nothing that the owner has to do really, other than call the farrier ( dude that comes by and trims) once every 4-8 weeks.

I would bet that the owner just doesn't care to take the time to remove burrs from the mane and tail. That is a time consuming job if ever there was one, but if you stay on top of it regularly its a breeze.

I do have to say though the horses body weight is pretty ideal, and I dont think they have hay bellies.
They have found a weak part of the fence and push it regularly guaranteed. Mine escape from time to time ( and run off if Rottielover is holding them lol) but thats just because of the old saying of "greener on the other side" :shrug:

Also, I dont know about your by-laws in your area, I would check on that. Hopefully its not a stupid as it is here. Apparently there is no by-law that horses have to be securely confined here, its perfectly legal for them to be all over the roads :wall: and they have the right of way:shrug:
Only reason I know this, a few years back on the road to camp there were 2 horses who were just roaming free as they pleased, no fences were ever erected. I called everyone and anyone who would listen about this as it was an extreme danger to people travelling down the road.
Thats when I found out that basically our cats and dogs have to be confined or you will get charged, but livestock did not.

Frenchy
September 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM
If you want to get in touch with Rose at the Refuge she can help you.

Hi Lise , Rose is the one I e-mailed about this earlier this week . ;)

Lise
September 27th, 2008, 02:06 PM
These guys are not great cosmetically,but body scoring they're fine.Grooming manes and tails is really not time consuming if you do it regularly.Feet ,I just spent three hours with our farrier doing our guys at thirty dollars a trim and seventy shod.not cheap and definately time consuming.Feet and condition count more than burrs.Right now there are so many horses being dumped,starved etc that these guys aren't so bad.

Bina
September 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I can tell you that Rose's Refuge for horses is a great place, its a few minutes from me.
She is also constantly overloaded with really severe neglect cases, the mini horses in your pic actually look decent. Hopefully the hooves are trimmed.
At the end of the summer pasture animals are always fat, and fall is also when they are getting covered in burrs.
The only way to get them out without hacking up the hair and causing pain, is to spray on some "Show Sheen". It is like lanolin and the burrs will comb out quite nicely. BUT, the next time the horses go into the pasture, they will get full of them again. At this time of year it's really futile until the burr bushes can be uprooted and burned.

I've also had neighbours horses show up in my pasture this time of year when their own places are grazed down. I would close my gates until the owners realized they were missing some horses and came looking. Then they get their horses back along with my speech about proper fencing and more hay!