Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccines

Stacer
September 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
We took Angus and Finn in for their yearly examination/vaccines. I had been thinking alot about vaccines since the lady (an ex vet tech) we boarded the cats with mentioned foregoing the FeLV vaccine. I was already somewhat aware of the controversy surrounding certain vaccines.

Anyways, the last several days I've been reading about vaccines so I could discuss it withour vet.

I brought up vaccine associated sarcomas, 3 year rabies vaccines (which they're using but still giving yearly or bi yearly) and non adjuvented vaccines.

Today the cats only got their FVRCP vaccine, non adjuvented. The rabies vaccine they'll get every other year and they're never going to get another FeLV vaccination (they're indoors only, no contact with any other cats). The vet seemed OK with it, but I sensed that he was annoyed with me.

Ah well, I'd rather upset a vet and know that I'm doing right by my fuzzbutts than just accept everything they do without question.

Also, the vet told us that one of his own cats died of a sarcoma from vaccines 9 years after the vaccine was given. He also treated a cat that had been tracked to 14 years after the vaccine had bee administered (both cats had sarcomas on the neck and they knew the length of time because the standards of vaccine location had changed to legs instead of neck) So why doesn't he advocate more for non-adjuvented vaccines and only giving necessary vaccines? Beats me.

kanis
September 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
I had a similar experience when I vaccinated my kittens last month. The vet made me feel like s**t when I refused the FLV vaccine. I was confused as to why he even recommended it since my guys will always be indoor so it's not necessary. Ironically, he didn't recommend the rabies vaccine for that exact reason!? Having done some research on the risks associated with it, I wasn't willing to gamble on their future. Further, when I mentioned that I had read that it's best to vaccinate in the limbs rather than the scruff of the neck, the vet looked at me like I was nuts. My little ones get neutered soon, and after this experience, I'm wondering if I should look into another clinic.

Stacer
September 23rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Sounds like your vet isn't up on the current standards. I don't think the word is spreading fast enough about vaccination location.

Nor do vets know the law when it comes to rabies vaccination. The vet this evening tried to tell me it's legislated that pets be vaccinated against rabies yearly. No so in Ontario. The law says your pet has to be vaccinated, only if it may come into contact with a wild animal that may be rabid. If you can ensure that your pet will never be exposed, then you don't have to have it vaccinated.
Here's the Law. (http://www.search.e-laws.gov.on.ca/en/isysquery/86ec37e7-b8ca-4afa-ab82-802debe98be2/1/frame/?search=browseStatutes&context=) Read section 8.

Winston
September 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Stacer I am with a new vet and he was really good about vaccines..What he agreed to was to alternate them each year....Except Rabies as it is mandatory..I only vaccinate for Upper Respiratory I think t=it was FVRCP or something like that...so for us next year its only Rabies....He didnt have a ton of info on it but seemed aware that people are opting to not give them!!

My old vet would never allow anything but full shots!

Cindy

MommaKat
September 23rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
This is a great discussion, I always wondered why the cats need so many shots when their full indoor cats. What are good vaccines for indoor cats to have?

RUSTYcat
September 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Perhaps if this thread would have been started in the Cat Health sub-forum, someone would have noticed the "Vaccine Lecture" by Dr. Lee which is posted as a sticky there!

MommaKat
September 23rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Perhaps if this thread would have been started in the Cat Health sub-forum, someone would have noticed the "Vaccine Lecture" by Dr. Lee which is posted as a sticky there!

:headslap: I'm still new here hehe. I'll hop out of Stacers thread and go have a lookie :crazy:

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM

I find your post rather rude. It would have been much nicer if you had just posted a link to Dr. Lee's post. Here it is:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53056

growler~GateKeeper
September 24th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I was confused as to why he even recommended it since my guys will always be indoor so it's not necessary. Ironically, he didn't recommend the rabies vaccine for that exact reason!?

Rabies is not endemic in most areas of BC incl the lower mainland so many vets here will either skip the rabies, give the 3 year or give you the option of getting it.

Except Rabies as it is mandatory.

In Ont because Rabies is endemic but not mandatory for all areas of Canada.

There are newer studies out about the over vaccination of our pets Are we over vaccinating (http://www.critteradvocacy.org/Are%20We%20Over%20Vaccinating%20Our%20Pets.htm) Many of the vaccines that have been routinely given every year were not needed to be repeated past the initial kitten vaccine

http://www.naturalrearing.com/coda/n_new_vaccination_protocol.html

Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at 1 year 4 mo) will provide lifetime immunity.

sugarcatmom
September 24th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Rabies is not endemic in most areas of BC incl the lower mainland so many vets here will either skip the rabies, give the 3 year or give you the option of getting it.

Just want to add that if someone has to get rabies vaccinations, it's actually much safer to get the 1-year Merial Purevax one, which is non-adjuvanted (the only rabies vax that is), rather than an adjuvanted 3-year one. Merial is working on getting it approved for 3-year use.

Some more info: http://www.vas-awareness.org/vaxreccs.htm

sugarcatmom
September 24th, 2008, 07:18 AM
One more thing, the latest protocol put forth by the AAFP (American Association of Feline Practitioners) states that vaccines only need to be given every 3 years (except for rabies where applicable by law). It surprises me how many vets aren't up-to-date on that.
http://www.aafponline.org/resources/guidelines/2006_Vaccination_Guidelines_JAVMA.pdf
http://www.holisticat.com/vaccinations.html

Stacer
September 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I asked him about using non adjuvented vaccines and he seemed uninterested in looking into it.

I am thinking about switching vets to one that is more up to speed on the way educated pet owners want to care for thier pets.

punkyamberlea
September 24th, 2008, 11:26 PM
At the vet I work at we use the Merial Yearly vax, we also do feline distemper yearly. We normaly only do the FELUK and FIP on out door cats. In Michigan where I live we have no laws for felines to be vaccinated for anything but, to vaccinate for rabies for the most part protects us. Also vax should be done on cats in the back hind area. Rabies right side distemper left is normal.