Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Which Orijen formula to feed?

Spatx
September 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'm going to be switching Nova to a different food. Right now she is still on Canidae, but since the formula and change to Diamond I'm hoping to get her on something new. She has enough left for another 3 weeks, so I need to start switching her over soon.

My question was because she is on the ALS food, should I switch her over to a puppy food when I change?

Nova is a 6 month old Border Collie, 20 lbs, should be full grown at around 30 lbs.

I'm hoping to switch to Orijen. I know they have a Puppy, Puppy Large, Fish, and Adult formula. I just don't know which one I should switch her to. If I do put her on the puppy food, when should I switch her to an adult formula?

Thanks! lol :D

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
I would keep her on the puppy until she's a year old. And good choice.....Orijen is great. :thumbs up

MommaKat
September 23rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I cannot say enough about Orijen :D . Maggie has been on it for a week and already I have noticed a difference in her coat and energy level. She is shiny and happy :p

Spatx
September 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I keep hearing good things about Orijen. I'll have to make a trip to Global Pet Foods, since Pet Valu doesn't carry the brand. If this food gives Nova even more energy... I think I'm doomed :laughing:

MommaKat
September 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
you can get little trial bags too if you wanted to see how she does. I think they only come in the adult form though.

badger
September 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Today I bought some Acana, which is a cheaper version of Orijen, also grain-free. It's about 10$ less for a big (7.5 kg) bag. Clever marketing, to capture people who find the Orijen a bit rich for their budget. There's also a fish version (which contains no chicken and no tuna).

PS It's for cats. I didn't check to see if there's a doggie version.

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Today I bought some Acana, which is a cheaper version of Orijen, also grain-free. It's about 10$ less for a big (7.5 kg) bag. Clever marketing, to capture people who find the Orijen a bit rich for their budget. There's also a fish version (which contains no chicken and no tuna).

PS It's for cats. I didn't check to see if there's a doggie version.

I was about to say that the Acana dog formula is not grain free but decided to check the website first. :D

They have the regular Acana formulas that do have grains but have now got Acana Provincial which are grain free formulas. The protein is less than Orijen but the fat is just a little more.

Thank you badger for the info. :thumbs up

clm
September 24th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I still love the Orijen foods. I had the boys on the puppy formula mixed with other grain free kibbles for a year and now mix the adult Orijen with other grain free kibbles as part of their daily diet. I use both the regular and fish formulas and the dogs love both. I'll have to look for the new Ancana grain free too. That's whats so good about this board, you find out about new things all the time.

Cindy

badger
September 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Hmmmm - not a huge hit so far - the kibble pieces are very small, which probably affects the taste factor, at least initially.

Etown_Chick
September 24th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Weird, Badger. Scruffy gobbled it up the day I introduced him to it, and has been ever since.
Then again he loves fish and it smells like fish.

rainbow
September 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Weird, Badger. Scruffy gobbled it up the day I introduced him to it, and has been ever since.
Then again he loves fish and it smells like fish.

Badger just has kitties so maybe there's a difference. :shrug: