Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our Newsest Rescue...isn't he CUTE!!!

Corrie
September 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hi All, I am not sure if you all know but I run the Westie Rescue in Ontario. Got a call from a man on Monday saying that they wanted to surrender their 9 year old Westie, Charlie, to us (they have had him since he was 8 weeks old!!!) as they "just don't want a dog any longer"

He had originally brought him to his Vet and asked the Vet to put him down, but the Vet refused to put down a healthy dog and suggested he contact us instead. (Needless to say I have written a very nice card and mailed it to the Vet!)

He dropped little Charlie off to me and left without really even looking back! Well, here is Wee Charlie today....he is on the right hand side....beside his new brother Brodie! He has been adopted out to a VERY nice family who just love him and have e-mailed and called me to say "they can't believe how lucky they are to have gotten him" He is getting along with his new brother quite well and is a real lover!

Another success for us at Westie Rescue...I am over the moon!

Helen0423
September 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
OMG they are beautiful, Charlie is a handsome pup!!!!! I always always always wanted a Westie. I looked high and low here for one. What I did find was to far out of my price range and the other was at a pet store and I refuse to buy any animals from a pet store. So once again I put my want for a Westie on the back burner but remind my husband everytime i can that one day I will be owned by a West Highland Terrier!!

I can't believe they were going to put him down... that makes me tear up!!! So glad that Vet did not listen. After 9 years how can someone just decided they don't want their dog anymore???

Helen0423
September 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
I had to come back and look at his little face again!! Sniff

badger
September 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Adorable. Saved to see many more days and a brother to play with! What could be finer. I suspect Wee Charlie got the best of this deal.
Some people :wall::wall:

BeagleMum
September 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Wow, he is so adorable!! Why were they going to have him put down? That's so sad. At least there is a happy ending to the story!!

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I'm so glad everything worked out well for Charlie. :thumbs up Sounds like he's in a lot better home now and both he and Brodie are so cute. :cloud9:

I can't say what I'd like to say about Charlie's previous :loser: owners.

People llike them just sicken me. :mad: :wall:

Purpledomino
September 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
What a happy ending! Charlie sounds like a wonderful little guy..too bad I can't say that about his previous people. :loser: To just turn your back on a part of your family like that is beyond comprehension for me. Cudos to the vet who was compassionate enough to spare this poor dogs life. It's a sad story...but thank goodness little Charlie will have a loving family. :thumbs up

happycats
September 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
OMG he is sooooo sweet, how can you spend 8 years with that cutie, and just dump him?? :(

Karma........some day someone will shove him in a nursing home and never look back :evil:

chico2
September 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
I am really happy for Charlie and very grateful to a compassionate vet and your Westie-rescue:thumbs up
They are both adorable,I am sure Charlie will have a better life than he had before:thumbs up
Happycats is right,one day this person will know all about being dumped:fingerscr

Tundra_Queen
September 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Oh he is soooooo cute!!!

That just makes me sick that someone can have a pet for 9 years and then want to put it down for no reason, other than they don't want it anymore? How can someone not want a pet they have had for 9 years? I just can't understand people like that!!

I'm so glad Charlie has a new loving home and a brother too!! And I so glad the vet called u so u could rescue him. :-)

mollywog
September 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
I love a happy ending! :lovestruck: Charlie is a real cutie! So glad that it all worked out for him and he has a new lease on life :D much thanks to you! :angel: and the vet! :angel:

ancientgirl
September 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'll never get how cold a person can be. My goodness, you don't want your pet so you take them to the vet to have them put down? What a Richard Cranium!:loser:

Charlie is absolutely adorable!!! And his brother looks quite happy to have a playmate!

joeysmama
September 23rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
I'm so happy for this little guy. You're a dear for doing what you do and Charlie's previous owners are something that can't be said in polite company !!:frustrated:

They didn't even try to cover their cold hearts with a lie. Just "We don't want this anymore. Please kill it." I wonder how this guy would feel if his wife wanted didn't want him around anymore and told him that shooting him would be easier than a divorce? I just can't believe some people !!

Charlie is a real cutie. I hope he is lavished with love for the rest of his days.:lovestruck:

Smiley14
September 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Oh, what a wonderful success story!!! It never ceases to amaze me how stupid and how heartless some people can be. I'm so glad Charlie was saved and found such a wonderful forever home. That picture is so sweet! :lovestruck:

Love4himies
September 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I love happy endings, Charlie looks like such a little sweetie and I am sure much better off in his new home :lovestruck:

Karma will probably get this man one day if he raised his offspring to be like him. They will drop him off at a nursing home, stating they don't want him anymore and walk away without looking back.:evil:

Luvmypitgirls
September 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Thank you for finding Charlie a wonderful new home, with a new "brother" for him to play with and love.
He is absolutely adorable:cloud9:

I won't comment on the previous owner, because I am trying to only have "positive" energy today.

Chris21711
September 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM
He is adorable, I love Westies :lovestruck: Thanks for taking care of them. :thumbs up

:offtopic: I see you are in Tottenham, there is a Basset rescue there also we have adopted two from there, one of which we still have.

14+kitties
September 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Very handsome little dude! :cloud9: And very lucky to have had both the vet and your rescue on his side. :highfive::angel:

Corrie
September 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words!
Yes...I sure know how you guys feel about people "disposing" of their dogs so easily. For the life of me I just can't understand it.

I heard from Charlie's new Mom yesterday and she said that they were planning on closing the cottge next weekend, but "the boys" love it there so much, they will now keep it open for a bit longer so "the boys" can run and play on the beach! Remember, this is a little one who was alone hours upon hours each day and was almost never walked at all! He is now having a blast.

The couple who have adopted him are retired and, when possible, take their doggies everywhere with them, so Charlie is loving it! They have bought him a seatbelt for the car and he just climbs right into it and is ready to hit the road!

They go for 3 walks a day and sleeps in his bed in their bedroom with his new brother Brodie in the bed beside him.

Love4himies
September 25th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Sounds like Charlie is in a much better place, bet he doesn't miss his old life one bit. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
September 25th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Corrie, your update on Charlies new life brought tears to my eyes. To think how wonderful his life is now. A family that loves him, a brother and so much traveling!

I wanted to ask, are you the one who posted about the 3 westies several months ago? I recall seeing a post about 3 westies left in your care, two brothers I think and a sister, all dressed in cute little red outfits. If that was you, did they ever find a home together? :pray:

BrightEyes
September 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Thank you for doing what you do! I'm so happy for Charlie...and for his new brother too. I bet Charlie never knew life could be this good :cloud9:

Corrie
September 25th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Ancientgirl, yes that was me that posted about the 3 Westies up for adoption a while ago.

The little girl went to a very nice family…she was quite a little independent girl and had no problems being adopted out with out her brothers. The boys, however, were a different story. Their previous owner (who was surrendering them to Westie Rescue of Canada because she is now in the final stages of cancer and just wanted to know her precious dogs were taken care of) HAD to go together..and they did.

They have been adopted out to a WONDERFUL couple who love them like children!

We had our 7th Annual Westie Walk last weekend in Toronto and the 2 boys came to the walk with their new parents and there was not a dry eye in the house when they marched in the Parade of Rescues. We had 148 Westies and their families attend our fundraising walk!! We are now the largest Westie Walk in Canada!

Thanks for asking about them!

ancientgirl
September 25th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Corrie, I'm so happy they found homes. I'd hoped they would be adopted together, but I can understand about independent girls LOL. I'm happy the boys stayed together though if they needed each other. I couldn't remember why exactly they were surrendered, but I did recall it was a difficult situation for the owner.

I'm happy there are people like you out there to help these little souls. :grouphug:

joeysmama
September 26th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Oh that poor lady. I hope she was able to know that they went to loving homes. We went away for a few days this summer and I was worried because the whole family was on the same plane. Cooper stayed with my cousin who told me that if anything happened to us she would keep Cooper with her where he is loved !:lovestruck:

Can you imagine being ill and having to worry about what will happen to your pet ????

chico2
September 26th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I am sure as heartbreaking as it must have been for this poor lady,the fact there is people such as Corrie and the Westie Rescue,must have been a relief to her.
It's wonderful all three pups found loving homes:thumbs up