Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

why me-why my cat

grissom
September 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
I have a neutered cat 3 years old. He is an outdoor/indoor cat. My problem is: I rarely go the lower side of my house, there is a wooded area just beyond that. My cat "hangs" out in the wooded area, this is his hide away. Yesterday afternoon my husband was watering newly planted bushes and I walked toward the side I rarely go to. My cat came running toward me and was ready to attack me. He meowed really loud and long and his eyes dilated, his tail twitched. I clapped my hands to distract him but that didn't help. I stood still for a moment and when walking away my husband had the water hose and sprayed water over to his direction to keep him from jumping for the attack (he was literally going to jump up on my back as I walked away) After I got away from the area my cat was fine. I don't understand. Other areas, he and I are ok. Can anyone help??

Diamondsmum
September 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Sounds like he is protecting something? in that part of the yard.

When he is inside I would check that area or if he is outside I would have a squirt water bottle ready ... weird..

I am sure others here can give imput also..

sugarcatmom
September 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
Could be he was just over-stimulated by something and directed his excessive energy towards you. Have you ever had a cat that gets too wound up by petting and then turns and bites your arm? Seems like this might have been something similar. There is also a condition in cats called Feline Hyperesthesia (http://www.cathealth.com/hyperesthesia.htm) where a cat races around, tail thrashing, skin rippling, and they can be pretty aggressive. Not saying that's what your cat has, just letting you know this isn't entirely uncommon. Cats can just be weird sometimes.

catsarama
September 26th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Were you wearing a hat? My animals have barked/hissed at both my boyfriend and I a few times, each time one of of was wearing a hat or hooded jacket. Once they recognized us they were fine. If your cat isn't used to seeing you in that area, he may have assumed that it wasn't you.
My dog Molly tried to leave with another woman at the dog park the other day, the woman looked a lot like me. Once Molly saw me she looked back at the other woman, then back at me a few times. I was surprised at how long it took her to figure it out. God forbid I ever change my hair color!
Good luck.