Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog - feeding questions

Mgue
September 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Hi

I just got my cocker/lab cross puppy last Wednesday. He's 15-wks old. He weighed 15 lbs the day we got him. Today, he weighs 21 lbs! That's 6 lbs in less than a week!

Is this because he is in a growing stage? He did sleep lots the first couple days... Or is it possible we've been feeding him too much? We started feeding him 3 times a day, but decided to take it down to 2. We feed him about 3 cups of food a day. He is not fat, and I can easily feel his ribs. I'm just wondering if I should be cutting back on his food and/or treats. However I am trying to train him, so he is getting quite a few treats a day...

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any questions...

Thanks!

clm
September 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
What food are you feeding him?

Cindy

sugarcatmom
September 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
And how are you weighing him?

Mgue
September 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I'm feeding him a mix of the food the shelter gave us (nutra... something) and Eukanuba Puppy. About 60% shelter food, and 40% Eukanuba.

The first day I got him, his poops were hard & filled with green leafy stuff. Since then, they've been pretty soft & gooey... and smelly.

To weigh him, I weigh myself. Then I pick him up and weigh myself again, and take the difference.

luckypenny
September 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
His loose stools could be a sign that you're feeding him too much. Are there no feeding guidelines on the bag of dog food? Also, is he on a de-worming program?

I'd recommend you browse the dog and cat food forum for ideas on better quality foods than Eukanuba, if you're interested. You also might want to take a look at http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ and http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients .

Congratulations on your new puppy.

Mgue
September 23rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Really? The Eukanuba bag say 2 3/4 cups. We feed him about that, plus treats.

I read that dog food analysis & see how bad Eukanuba is. Think it's worth finishing the bag, or just switch to a better one?

He was dewormed 3 times by a vet while in the rescue shelter. He's had some shots but not all. He still needs Rabies, Bordetella, Lyme, Kennel Cough and Heartworm...

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
That's because the food has lots of fillers and not enough protein. Any dog food that you can buy at the supermarket, places like Walmart and some large chain pet stores is not worth purchasing. The better quality foods are found at the small independent local pet stores.

I feed my dogs Orijen......the 90 lb. lab gets 3 cups a day and the 60 lb. siberian husky gets 1 3/4 cups a day. I split it into two meals morning and night.

luckypenny
September 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
If you're thinking of upgrading your pup's food, I'd start mixing the Nutro (seeing he's eating that mostly) with the new food. Make the changeover gradually, over a period of 10-14 days at least.

Is your pup really food motivated? If so, measure out his food in the morning and take from there the kibble for rewarding him rather than other treats that may be too fattening or free of any valuable nutrients.

Umm, did you read the forum rules by any chance :rolleyes:. I'm pretty sure it says somewhere that "newbies have to post lots and lots of photos of their pets :yell:"

:o I'm sorry, I need my puppy fix.

:D

Mgue
September 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Ozzy is about 21 lbs now. How much do you suggest we feed him? I think we have been feeding him too much... We fed him twice a day - around 11am and again around 6pm. Is that ok?

:sorry:

We'll go buy a new food right away. I may not have enough of the nutra food to last more than a week or so.

Ozzy is VERY food-motivated. He actually inhales his food without chewing. We even take the food away a couple times just to give him a chance to breathe! He loves treats too. I can try giving him kibble instead of so many treats.

Is it bad to give too many treats during training? I'm getting him to learn how to walk without pulling, walk when he doesn't want to, go in his crate, and somehow I'm going to get around to lie down & stay & come! :eek:

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
First you need to choose a better quality food that you want to feed him. Give him 3/4 of the old stuff and 1/4 of the new stuff for the first 3-4 days then give him 1/2 and 1/2 for the next 3-4 days then give him 3/4 new and 1/4 old for the next 3-4 days and then give him all the new stuff.

If he is accepting the new food well you can decrease the number of days of transitioning. You can also add a little plain yogurt to his kibble to help his tummy adjust. Get the type that only lists "milk ingredients and active bacterial cultures" as ingredients.

One of my dogs is a lab and they are notorious for inhaling food. :rolleyes: What helped us was to put a Kong in the middle of his bowl so he has to eat around it. I've never figured out why he doesn't take the Kong out first and then inhale :shrug: .....I guess it's because he is so motivated to get at the food first. :D

Treats are fine for training but watch how much you are giving him.....the calories add up so decrease his daily meals accordingly so if you do use dog cookies make sure you break them into tiny pieces. I used to set aside some of the dogs kibble to use and also used Cheerios.....they love them. Even though the pieces are small it helps to train them not to snatch. The less they see of a treat the more they will "nibble" it out of your hand. :)