Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Speak on command ?

Stewart
July 19th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I have a 4yr old German Shephard bitch , She is very well behaved and obeys all the usual commands sit,stay etc , The only time she usually barks is to answer the door and shes always praised for doing so . But what I want to know is how can I get her to bark on command ? (speak) :confused:

Thanx for the ideas so far guys , I have tried holding a treat and woofing myself .... Trouble is she looks at me puzzled then jumps up to get the treat which i then hold higher to stop her getting to it but i give it 2 or 3 attempts then let her have the treat and start all over again ,so far with no joy ! :)

Spoiled
July 22nd, 2004, 10:42 AM
I got my dog to learn to "speak" by holding a treat up above his head and telling him "speak" until he got so tired of doing all his other tricks that he barked at me. And then I praised him and gave him the treat.

moontamara
July 23rd, 2004, 12:13 AM
yeah, as long as you hold the treat up high like that it will usually work! if you don't though, he might lie down in frustration!

Spoiled
July 24th, 2004, 12:02 PM
yeah, as long as you hold the treat up high like that it will usually work! if you don't though, he might lie down in frustration!

Yes, hold it high above the head. My dog actualy learned to lay down and speak. He won't do it any other way now. :D