Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My new fur kids

Tundra_Queen
September 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hi
I got the 2 new kittens, Mirabelle and O'Shawnnessy September 12th. They are pretty good little "kids", but today was not a good day with our 6 year old cat, Wilbur. He nailed OS on the floor 3 times and made him howl. The last time I put the "kids" in their room so he could relax. OS likes to be with Mirabelle so they both had to go in the room. *S*

Wilbur is a big cat 15.2lbs and the kids are only 4lbs and 3.5lbs!

I don't know why Wilbur was being so mean today as he was fine yesterday? Maybe I left the kittens out for too long today....for about 4 hrs...so maybe Wilbur had had enough? Wilbur is my first cat, so I'm still what I call a "cat virgin" *L* I just hope he stops attacking OS, as he is such a nice loving kitten.

Anyways, here are the pictures of the "kids" OS is the black and white one, Mirabelle is the white, tan, grey one. She is not as friendly as OS but she is letting me pet her and hold her now for a little bit.

Diamondsmum
September 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
awwe look at the "kids" eyes just beauties! & Wilbur looks like my Mom's cat growing up.

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
OMG....Mirabelle and OS are so cute. :lovestruck: Are they from the same litter? Absolutely adorable. :cloud9:

And, WOW.....Wilbur is a big boy and oh so handsome. :lovestruck:

Tundra_Queen
September 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Thank you, I think they are cute too, but then again I'm bias. :-) OS and mirabelle are brother and sister.

Wilbur was born in our garage with his 5 other siblings. The momma cat took the others away but left Wilbur, runt, all by himself in the garage. After 5 hrs of listening to him meow I went out and got him. He was about 4 weeks at the time and I had no idea what to do with him, as I WAS a dog person. :-)

Wilbur was raised with 2 dogs, so he has never been around cats or kittens since he was 4 weeks old. I don't know if that is part of the problem or if the kittens just move too much for him and that is why he is being so mean today. I got the kittens Sept 12th and did a slow introduction behind baby gates and in a separate room etc. I hope he relaxes as yesterday there was no problems.

Debbie

ancientgirl
September 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Your new additions are adorable! Wilbur is quite a handsome boy too. Maybe you need to take a little more time with the introductions. Seeing as Wilbur hasn't been around too many cats, he might need a little more time to get used to the little ones.

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
Your kitties are very beautiful, glad you adopted 2 kittens ;).

Wilbur is letting them know who is boss, very normal with kitties. At 15 lbs, he may not realize his strength and will soon learn to be gentler with the kittens.

chico2
September 23rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Wilbur is beautiful:lovestruck:and the litte ones soo cute:lovestruck:
I think Wilbur probably did not mean to hurt OS,unless he was growling and hissing.
I would keep them separated at times,just to make sure,especially when you leave the house.
I am sure beautiful Wilbur will take to the young ones in no time at all:cat:

I used to have a little X-Mas bell on Vinnie in the beginning,just to know where he was at all times,funny to see it on your kitties too..

14+kitties
September 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Those two are adorable! :cloud9: Wilbur's kinda cute himself. :D
I agree with ancient. How long of a slow introduction did you do? IMO the cats should not have seen each other for the first week. There should have been some smelling under the door to their room along with some transferance of sleeping blankies so they could smell each other but not see.
This site is fantastic for giving you the dos and don't off managing a multi cat home.

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Good luck!! :lovestruck:

mollywog
September 23rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
really cute kittens! I love their amber eyes! and Wilbur looks like a handsome fella. Let us know how the transition goes, I am sure it will get better with time. :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
September 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for this comments and suggestion. :-)

Love4himmies, I had a talk with Wilbur this morning telling him that the kittens are just babies and he is a biiiggg cat. That the kittens are just playing toys and no bitting each other, they are friends. All words Wilbur knows.. *L* I don't know if he understood or not but so far so good today. He has chased them but slower as I tell him to just "move nicely"; other words he knows. :-) So I hope he's taking notes. :-)

chico2, no, Wilbur wasn't growling or hissing. I do always put the kittens up in their own bedroom when we go out. I use to do that with Wilbur too, just to make sure he didn't get into trouble when we were gone or into something with the dogs. :-)

My husband is blind so the bells on the cats let him know where they are and me too for that matter, as kittens move very fast and often! *LOL* I had forgotten that. *L*

14+kitties and ancient; I didn't wait a week before they were introduced, only about 3 or 4 days I think. Thanks for the link I will go read it now.

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
LOL....you talk to Wilbur the same way I talk to my cats and I swear they understand too. :laughing: I think it's from also owning dogs so they all kind of get treated the same.....within reason, of course. :D

Tundra_Queen
September 24th, 2008, 01:51 AM
rainbow, I have always talked to my pets, from dogs to hamsters. LOL I talked to my pets more than I do to my husband. LOL My mom always talked to our dogs too.

Tundra_Queen
September 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Hi
I took some more pics today of them all together at the patio door. I wish they looked like that all the time. :laughing: Willie was better today, he was rough, but I'm sure he was just trying to play.

Debbie

ancientgirl
September 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I love pictures like this, where they are all standing next to each other looking out onto the world.

rainbow
September 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
rainbow, I have always talked to my pets, from dogs to hamsters. LOL I talked to my pets more than I do to my husband. LOL My mom always talked to our dogs too.

:laughing: Sounds like my house.....hubby always says I talk to the furkids more than I do him so I just tell him that me and the fuzzbutts understand each other better. :D

I love the pics of Wilbur, OS and Mirabelle looking outside :lovestruck: .......and it looks like they'll all be good buddies soon. :cloud9:

chico2
September 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Awww,Wilbur is such a beauty,I bet they will all be in love in no time at all:lovestruck:
Both hubby and I talk to the cats:laughing:and they actually have quiet a vocabulary that they understand,who says cats are stupid,certainly not mine:cat:

Tundra_Queen
September 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=rainbow;662128]:laughing: Sounds like my house.....hubby always says I talk to the furkids more than I do him so I just tell him that me and the fuzzbutts understand each other better. :D

:laughing::laughing: I think so too!! :laughing:

Tundra_Queen
September 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Awww,Wilbur is such a beauty,I bet they will all be in love in no time at all:lovestruck:
Both hubby and I talk to the cats:laughing:and they actually have quiet a vocabulary that they understand,who says cats are stupid,certainly not mine:cat:

O'Shawnnessy talks a lot too, willie does a bit too, but Mirabelle hasn't made a noise so far.

Debbie

Tundra_Queen
September 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Here are a couple more pics I took today. :-) O'Shawnnessy has found a new buddy. :-)

Debbie

ancientgirl
September 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I love seeing pictures of dogs and cats like that.:lovestruck:

Tundra_Queen
September 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM
This is one of Tegan and Wilbur (willie). Willie loves Tegan and today got upset when he saw O'Shawnnessy being friends with Tegan. :D

chico2
September 25th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Awww,that's so sweet,love kitties and puppers together,Tegan looks very tolerant and sweet:lovestruck:

Tundra_Queen
September 25th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Chico, Tegan is very tolerant and is the kindest dog I've ever known. She is hub's Seeing Eye dog and all his dogs have liked cats. :D

chico2
September 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Tundra,yes,you can see the wisdom in Tegans eyes:lovestruck:
My husband,who can see,tend to stumble over my 3 cats...do your cats sense not to be in the way,being your husband is blind:cat:

Tundra_Queen
September 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
No, I wish it was so...but Willie just lays there, unless I tell him to move. But most of the time he just stays where he is a gets stepped on. Not the sharpest pencil in the box sometimes poor ole Wilbur. :laughing::laughing:

The kids are even worse,they haven't learnt what the word "move" means yet. But luckily they are never long in one place and haven't gotten stepped on yet. :laughing:

Debbie

chico2
September 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Oh,but Wilbur is sooo beautiful,who cares if he is not the sharpest pencil:laughing: