Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dental Health

bryna123
September 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
I was told by my vet that if I feed my cat or dog more than twice a day, it may create dental problems. She equated it to a child snacking constantly without brushing in between.
She thinks feeding once a day is the ideal for dental health.
They are both on dry kibble, with occasional wet food.
The cat is recently on Orijen, and the dog gets Merricks (but I think I will put him on Orijen too)
The dry usually sits in the bowl and they snack throughout the day.
The dog will be 3 this december, and I have noticed some yellow starting on his back teeth.
Any hints for me?

pitgrrl
September 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
I can see why feeding once a day (and then brushing) may be better for dental health, but there are other factors related to feeding schedule to consider as well. Some dogs do well with one meal a day, while others benefit from, smaller, more frequent meals for a variety of reasons.

So all that said, why not continue with the feeding routine that works for your animals, but start brushing their teeth daily. That would seem like the happy medium :shrug:

Love4himies
September 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
I would not feed my cat only once per day, I don't think that is their normal eating habits.

Puddles is over 12 years old, has been on cheap kibble and now quality canned and she has never had her teeth cleaned and has mininal tarter, not enough for her vet to worry about it. She is a nibbler and likes to eat every hour. Snowball needed his first cleaning at 10 years old, ate the same as Puddles.

Sweet Pea and Jasper are new additions so I can't comment on them. Sweet Pea is the only kitty that is not allowed to nibble due to her weight, she would be 25 lbs if I let her, lol.

bryna123
September 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'm sure, like people, genetics will play a big role in the dental health. I've thought of brushing, but honestly, I don't think I would be diligent to do it everyday. Would occasional brushing be of any benefit?

sugarcatmom
September 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Would either your cat or dog go for something like raw chicken necks? That's really the ultimate for keeping teeth clean. Chewing on bigger chunks of raw meat is also helpful. You're right that genetics are a big factor in dental health. Dry food is actually not the least bit worthwhile for preventing decay, and can actually cause it. The kibble pieces shatter and bits of carbohdyrate (ie sugar) get stuck between teeth and under the gumline, feeding bacteria. Any chance you could feed your cat less dry and more wet?
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=doesdryfoodcleantheteeth
http://home.ivillage.com/pets/cats/0,,p8ds,00.html

Goldens4Ever
September 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
That is why brushing the teeth everyday & chewing on bones is so important, to cleanse the teeth of the debris left from the food.

The best product to brush the teeth with is:
DermaPet DentAcetic Tooth Gel

Goldens4Ever
September 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
....I've thought of brushing, but honestly, I don't think I would be diligent to do it everyday....

Why not? Do you brush your teeth everyday? They require the same daily dental needs as you, in this regard. :frustrated:

Dental disease is the #1 problem vets see in animals because people don't want to take the 5 minutes/day to prevent it. :mad:

pitgrrl
September 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
I'm sure, like people, genetics will play a big role in the dental health. I've thought of brushing, but honestly, I don't think I would be diligent to do it everyday. Would occasional brushing be of any benefit?

It really only takes a few minutes and once you've made it part of your schedule it's just routine, you won't even think about it.

One of my dogs actually comes into the bathroom at night when I brush my teeth and waits for his turn :laughing:

bryna123
September 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Well, he comes to get his face washed every morning, so I'm sure we could add this to the routine. Back to the store we go. They are gonna luv me. I can't resist buying him a toy every time I go in there.
Any hints on how to make sure he'll enjoy this new experience?

Goldens4Ever
September 24th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Well, he comes to get his face washed every morning...
Any hints on how to make sure he'll enjoy this new experience?

LOL-that's cute. :lovestruck:

Make it fun with your tone of voice & lots of lovies. :cloud9:

Guinness' mom
September 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Um...I don't know why the vet would say that...:confused:
cat's usually eat a bit at a time anyways...and my cats would attack me if I didn't feed them 2 x's a day...chewing the kibble would help break down calculus. I bring home old scalers so if my animals get a bit of build-up on their molars I just scrape it off. And I do brush guinness' teeth but OMG my cats would scratch the heck out of me. You can also have your vet clean them if they got really bad under sedation

kandy
September 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I give pizzles to my dogs to clean their teeth, and sometimes raw meaty bones. The tendons clean the teeth while they are chewing. The minty rope bones with dental floss intwined in them seem to work well too. I've found that the quality of the food makes a difference for their teeth as well.

mumof4boys
September 30th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Kandy I have never hear of "Pizzles". These sound very interesting. Do you know who manufacturers these.

clm
September 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Kandy I have never hear of "Pizzles". These sound very interesting. Do you know who manufacturers these.

Pizzles, aka bullwrinkles, aka, bully sticks. pricey, but a good natural treat for your dogs. Mine love them.

Cindy

AmericanBullMom
September 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM
:sorry::offtopic: But what are these Pizzles you speak of??
I may need to invest in some!

Anyways, I feed Wellness Core Ocean, and so far havent noticed any tartar build up on my dogs teeth... He also gets RMBs every other day which are good for cleaning teeth.

They make doggy toothpaste that is meat flavored that can help make the experience more fun. They make doggy tooth brushes that slip over your index finger so its easier to use (and so you arent jabbing your doggy in the gums which would NOT make the experience fun!)

Good luck!!

kandy
September 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Pizzles are ummm.........:whistle: dried...ummm.....bull privates. LOL

Here's a link. The dogs love them.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10011

Of course now that my husband knows what they are, he won't touch them. ROFL!!!!!!!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

mumof4boys
September 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Kandy, That's funny what they are made from :laugh:
I don't think I'll tell my husband and boys what they're made from though:whistle:
Thanks

kandy
September 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Yep, if you want your husband or sons to actually be able to touch the treats, by all means DO NOT tell them what they are. LOL

Goldens4Ever
September 30th, 2008, 09:56 PM
...They make doggy toothpaste that is meat flavored that can help make the experience more fun.....

DermaPet DentAcetic Tooth Gel is made by a world-leader in natural hygienic products for pets (DermaPet), & this product does not contain any protein flavorings or chemicals that are found in commercial dental products. It is only flavored with cinnamon clove. This is by far the highest quality tooth brushing product I've found. All their products are top-of-the-line.

Through my business, I sell several different DermaPet products & am extremely pleased. I will never, ever purchase any other dental brushing product again.

pitgrrl
October 3rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
DermaPet DentAcetic Tooth Gel is made by a world-leader in natural hygienic products for pets (DermaPet), & this product does not contain any protein flavorings or chemicals that are found in commercial dental products. It is only flavored with cinnamon clove. This is by far the highest quality tooth brushing product I've found. All their products are top-of-the-line.

Through my business, I sell several different DermaPet products & am extremely pleased. I will never, ever purchase any other dental brushing product again.

YOu wouldn't happen to know of a Canadian retailer, would you?

Goldens4Ever
October 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
YOu wouldn't happen to know of a Canadian retailer, would you?

This is a distributor in Canada - they should be able to tell you where the retailers are they distribute to:

Aventix Animal Health
50 Dundas Street East, Suite 104
Flamborough, ON L9H 7K6
Phone: 877-909-2242

All their products are fantastic. Other great DermaPet products that I've used:

SebS Shampoo
MalAcetic Wet Wipes
MalAcetic Otic AP *the BEST ear cleaner - I won't use or sell anything else!
DentAcetic Tooth Gel
-Everything is great!

flipgirl4
October 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Raw meaty bones will clean your dog's teeth. However, if you are feeding kibble, you should brush your dog's teeth. Contrary to popular belief, kibble does not clean a dog's teeth adequately. Dog's teeth aren't designed to crush kibble; it cleans the tips of the teeth but also pushes it up toward the gumline. Thus, it collects there and turns into plaque and trapped by tartar.

I used to work with this person who thought just because she had two dogs, she knew everything about them. She told me she never brushes her dogs' teeth (the fact that one of them eats her pooh would push me to brush the dog's teeth or maybe she thinks poop cleans teeth too lol) because kibble will clean their teeth. Hmmm, I eat hard food sometimes, doesn't clean my teeth! Anyway, her vet told her to have one of the dogs (a Jack Russell) teeth cleaned and it cost $855!!

So I think a few minutes a day is worth avoiding that cost plus the risk of putting your dog under anesthesia...as well, dental health is important in avoiding other diseases affecting the heart. I brush my dog's teeth every day, I use a kid's toothbrush ($2-3) and dog toothpaste ($10 - lasts 2 months). Even if you do it 2 or 3 times a week, it's better than nothing.

globalgourmand
October 27th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Any tips on dental brushing cats? Products or techniques? We have no signs of dental build-up or discoloring so far but I believe in prevention and I'd like to try to begin this healthy habit sooner rather than later.

Goldens4Ever
October 27th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Any tips on dental brushing cats? Products or techniques? We have no signs of dental build-up or discoloring so far but I believe in prevention and I'd like to try to begin this healthy habit sooner rather than later.

This is appropriate for dogs & cats.

sugarcatmom
November 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Here is a great video put out by Cornell University on how to go about adapting your cat to the teeth brushing process: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet/fhc/brushing_teeth

I've heard Biotene (http://www.calvetsupply.com/browseproducts/Biotene-Veterinary-Maintenance-Gel---Large-2.5-oz..html) is highly recommend for dental care and has cat-friendly ingredients (not all products are as safe or tasty as manufacturers would have you believe).

globalgourmand
November 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Here is a great video put out by Cornell University on how to go about adapting your cat to the teeth brushing process: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/pet/fhc/brushing_teeth

That video link was so clear and helpful, sugarcatmom. Exactly the kind of help I was in need of-- thank you!