Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I got bit by a horse?!

babymomma
September 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Well, Im real glad i got my rabies shot:rolleyes:..lol... Today was my first day volunteering on a horse ranch.. I was in charge of 'star' and her 2 and a half month old baby boy 'Drifter'.. We were in a fenced in area in frotn of the mans house and A 10 year old girl and her father were trying to break her 2 year old horse for riding and i had to keep a hold of star for most of the day because she was protective over her baby and everytime 'Angel'would get close to her/baby she would go nuts and bite at her and kick. one time she did it and I grabbed her to quickly and startled her, and SHE BIT ME ON THE SHOULDER! I didnt even know that horses Bit!!! And IT HURT, Really badley!!!:laughing: Tears came to my eyes because it hurt sso bad, but i Couldnt help but laugh because i got bitten! lol.. So i brushed her out and saddled her up and went for a ride and worked on my turns with the pylons..lol... Theres not reaally a point to this story but i had to share the fct that i got bitten by a hore!! loll....

Jessica:cool: and Keely:dog:

kathryn
September 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM
Omg it hurts terribly bad. My best friend Tristan used to have horses when we were younger. I was standing there one day and his girl horse was mad at me for whatever reason and bit me on the shoulder! I had this ugly bruise thing there for ages. It was because the way their teeth are it pinched my skin together really hard and made one of those bloody bruise things. Ughhh just thinking about it.... :o

So yeah hopefully you won't get one of those ugly bruises like I had! It was soo painful and flat out ugglllyyyy :laughing:

14+kitties
September 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Ouch!!!!!! :grouphug:

Chaser
September 21st, 2008, 10:49 PM
I think horses are amazing and beautiful creatures....from a distance! I'm completely terrified of them, and your story doesn't help! :laughing:

Hope your shoulder gets better soon. :)

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM
OWIE !!! :eek: That must be so painful. :grouphug:

Gail P
September 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
Well, Im real glad i got my rabies shot:rolleyes:..lol... Today was my first day volunteering on a horse ranch.. I was in charge of 'star' and her 2 and a half month old baby boy 'Drifter'.. We were in a fenced in area in frotn of the mans house and A 10 year old girl and her father were trying to break her 2 year old horse for riding and i had to keep a hold of star for most of the day because she was protective over her baby and everytime 'Angel'would get close to her/baby she would go nuts and bite at her and kick. one time she did it and I grabbed her to quickly and startled her, and SHE BIT ME ON THE SHOULDER! I didnt even know that horses Bit!!! And IT HURT, Really badley!!!:laughing: Tears came to my eyes because it hurt sso bad, but i Couldnt help but laugh because i got bitten! lol.. So i brushed her out and saddled her up and went for a ride and worked on my turns with the pylons..lol... Theres not reaally a point to this story but i had to share the fct that i got bitten by a hore!! loll....

Sorry you got bitten, it does hurt. Your post raises some questions though. Why are they trying to work the 2 year old in the same area as the mare & foal? Especially with the behaviour she's exhibiting. Why is a 10 year old girl trying to break a 2 year old? Even with the help of her Dad? :headslap: They should have a separate safe area for working/riding the horse (even if it's just temporary fencing). If they only have one fenced area isn't there a barn that they can shut the mare & foal into while the youngster is worked, or even a run-in shed that could possibly be gated off and made into a stall? Is it really a ranch (I'm thinking a big place with multiple fields and a barn), or some place where they got a few horses, keep them in one small field (basically in their back yard - or front yard as the case may be), and have little real knowledge of horses. If they're operating a "ranch" they should have the space/management skills/ability to separate these horses, and not put their daughter and you into this situation. Not many 10 year old children have the experience and skills to train a 2 year old (my daughter doesn't, and she's been around horses her whole life, starting riding at age 2). This place sounds like a recipe for disaster. Be careful and stay safe :fingerscr Don't be afraid to speak up if you are uncomfortable with a situation, or it doesn't seem safe.

TeriM
September 22nd, 2008, 01:36 AM
Yep, horse bites definately hurt :yell:. I have to agree with Gail's post though that they shouldn't have put you in that sort of a postion especially when you are inexperienced.

Dekka
September 22nd, 2008, 05:20 AM
WOW. I am sorry you got hurt. I would run, not walk away from that place!!!!
This place is a tragedy waiting to happen. Esp when it seems no one knows what they are doing? There are so many things wrong here it boggles my mind.

A child has no business working with a 2 year old.

Why is a a baby horse being worked in an area with loose horses (let alone a mare and foal WTF?)

Why is a newbie (you) who is new to this working with a mare and foal?

Where was the supervision? Where was the trainer or BO?

If anything went wrong just about everyone would have someone to sue.

I have been in the horse industry for over 18 years. I have lost friends to accidents with horses. Good horse people who knew what they were doing, who weren't taking silly chances. Working with horses is wonderful, but its not worth risking your life to gain the wrong kind of experience.

Horses bite, mares protecting foals can get very protective. I have only been bit 3 times ever, and yes it hurts. (Rabies is not normally an issue to worry about with horses, but from the sounds of this place I am glad you have your shot) Its no laughing matter. People have been killed or permanetly maimed due to horse bites. Again its not common but it happens. Usually around stallions excited by mares or mares protecting foals.

AmericanBullMom
September 22nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
I have a National Show Horse named Expression, and thankfully he knows better than to bite the hand that feeds him, but I HAVE been bitten, kicked, stepped on, run over and thrown off of many horses.... But you cant blame poor momma horse, mares become REALLY protective of their babies! Sorry you got bit though! Hope it doesnt make you afraid of them!

babymomma
September 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys, Its not really a ranch, but i couldnt find the right word for the place, they have mulitple feild of rescued horses and purebreds.. Horsesa are his hobby, but they are also his life (if that makes any sense..lol..) He is very knowlagable but i guess he still trusts the horses a little too much.. I didnt know this was a bad thing or i would have said something... I put all my trust in this man and his horses, Dont get me wrong, he is an amazing man and Loves his horses and othe rpeople to death, he is not a bad guy, but if i had known what we were doing was wrong i would definatly have said something .. Thanks for the information guys.. I dunno why but i feel kinda dumb:o I was there to learn and apparentyly i Am being taught the wrong things:sad:

My mom said that if we can research the species a little more and clear out some of our back yard we may be able to buy A horse once i become REALLy comfortable with them!

Thanks again for the Information!!

Chasemom- Sorry for scaring you even more away from the amazing species, but i really dont think you should be afraid, A horse is one of Gods most gentle of creatures! But we all have our opinion and Fears..lol.. (BTW- Im soooo glad to hear you will be keeping Kailey!)

erykah1310
September 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
. Theres not reaally a point to this story but i had to share the fct that i got bitten by a hore!! loll....

I'm sorry but I am rotfl that no one picked this up :laughing: Read it good:laughing::D

On a more serious note now...
Feels wonderful doesnt it lol, I have been bitten, kicked, bucked, I dont know what this is classified as but several years back I was riding at my friends on quite a green horse and she decided that it was time to go back to the barn ASAP... well there was no holding back so I held on and enjoyed the ride... well, there was a spot that HAD electric fencing a few weeks prior and I guess she remembered in her buck wild attempt to get to the barn and applied the brakes and dropped her head... I went flying clear over the top of her into some rather interesting raspberry bushes. Not my favorite ride ever.

Horses are amazing and definitely beautiful animals, but very dangerous. The could easily kill a person ( and have sadly) but thats why its always best to never get in a situation you are unsure of.

Hope the bite heals nicely, its not going to feel so great over the next couple of days.

erykah1310
September 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
The horse world is so much like the dog world, you cant believe the first things you hear or are taught, its always best to talk to and learn from as many different people and form your own way of being around horses over time.
Everyone does things differently.
Keep that in mind:thumbs up

aslan
September 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
:laughing::laughing: i'm thinking penecillin might be more appropriate. :laughing::laughing:

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by babymomma
. Theres not reaally a point to this story but i had to share the fct that i got bitten by a hore!! loll....

I'm sorry but I am rotfl that no one picked this up :laughing: Read it good:laughing::D

:laughing::laughing: i'm thinking penecillin might be more appropriate. :laughing::laughing:

You guys are bad. :evil: I did notice that yesterday but left it alone cuz babymomma is so young. :D

aslan
September 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
all i have to say is erykah started it.:D

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
all i have to say is erykah started it.:D

LOL.....yep, it's all erykah's fault. :D And she doesn't realize what she's missing in the TJT. :laughing:

erykah1310
September 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
dammit... I'm running over

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
dammit... I'm running over

:thumbs up

erykah1310
September 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
eta...
I'm truely not poking fun at the op's typo, I assumed it was a younger member, but it was still too funny for me to not say anything.

No offense

aslan
September 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
guarantee she won't be offended and will be amused when she notices the typo.

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
You're probably right, Aslan.....babymomma is :cool:

Purpledomino
September 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
Well all I have to say is that this was a recipe for disaster right from the beginning. No offence to you..but if you are so inexperienced with horses that you were not aware that they can bite, why were you put in such a dangerous position in the first place? IMO, you should stay far away from this place, as enticing as horses can be...the proprietors are NOT concerned with your safety here and you are lucky to just get away with a bite. It could have very easily been much worst. Find a resputable barn that gives lessons, and learn to ride and handle horses safely on the ground before you really get hurt.

babymomma
September 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM

Hahahahaha , Did even notice it.. lol.. Wouldnt THAT just be a lovely sitiation:rolleyes: lol..

babymomma
September 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
eta...
I'm truely not poking fun at the op's typo, I assumed it was a younger member, but it was still too funny for me to not say anything.

No offense
Haha, Trust me, None Taken! lol.. I had to giggle at it when i looked at it..lol.. Im not easily offended..
You're probably right, Aslan.....babymomma is :cool:

Thats just how I roll :cool:

aslan
September 23rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
lol, babymomma you seriously gotta stay away from those vicious hores.:laughing:

chico2
September 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
I did not even notice that,so used to my own typos,but that is funny!!:laughing:
Not the owie of course Babymomma:sorry:

babymomma
September 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
lol, babymomma you seriously gotta stay away from those vicious hores.:laughing:

I know man, and you dont even get refunds when you get bitten:eek:

Bad joke:o lol

Bina
September 30th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hore bites.....OMG.....that's just crazy.....
Anyway, horse bites don't require a rabies shot, but a tetanus shot is a good idea especially when spending time on farms.
It's not a good idea to crowd a mare with her foal at the best of times. Please be careful.

kandy
September 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I grew up with horses and I agree that an inexperienced person probably is not the best choice to be working with a mare and her young foal, especially when the mare is already feeling threatened by something else. I've been bit (the worst was on my thigh), I've been kicked, I've been stepped on, bucked off and rolled on. It does hurt to be bit, and that bruise will be quite spectacular for a while. Not only will the mare be protective of her little one, but as the little one grows, he can also be possessive of his dam. I got bit in the thigh by a yearling that apparently didn't want me riding his momma.

I would not think that this man would have purposefully put you in danger, but accidents can happen at anytime. A friend of mine was holding his horse for the farrier and the horse suddenly tried to rear - so my friend tried to put his weight into keeping the horse steady. The horse fell on him and it shattered his hip (the horse was fine). This man is extremely experienced with horses, and he thinks that the farrier might have clipped the hoof just a touch too close. But still, through no fault of his or the horse - he ended up having major surgery to repair the damage. Even the most gentle horse is still a very large animal so please be careful.