Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another small step

ancientgirl
September 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Last night I decided to try letting Czarina spend the night out of the kitchen. At first she was the only one on the bed with me when I turned the lights out. Eventually the others started coming up. Maks is the only one who can sleep somewhat close to her without her being too upset. Kiska and Vlad sleep next to my pillow so they didn't get too close to her. The only one who didn't come up was Oksana. I think she'll eventually get back in bed though. She goes through periods where she's off on her own at night, and she also did this when I first had Maks and Kiska in bed.

But all in all things went pretty well. A bit of hissing and growling during the night, but nothing bad. And, this morning I even saw Kiska approach her and she and Czari touched noses, then Kiska just kept walking on her way.

I finally think things are beginning to settle down. I'm going to keep Czari on the Prozac until I can talk to the vet in October. Then I'll discuss slowly weening her off so she can stop taking them.

I moved into this apartment at the beginning of September of last year. I first saw her about a week or two after I moved in. I remember thinking how it would be nice to give her a home where she would be loved and taken care of. I never thought that just a year later my wish would come true for her.

I know how hard it is to bring these strays in. But I believe that giving them a home, protection and care, as hard as it is, is so much better than not even trying.

1. Czarina outside 2007
2. Czarina home 2008

Dracko
September 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM
That is great news. :thumbs up

My oldest, Mochie, would stop sleeping with me for a bit when I introduced a new cat and it broke my heart. But eventually she would come back and things were like always.

I think a wonderful thing is that Czarina WANTS to sleep with you. Shows she isn't a cat who won't bond, etc.

Love4himies
September 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Great job, ancientgirl, Czarina is now as safe as she can possibly be and I bet she is a lot happier. It is stressful for kitties outside, even without considering the weather. She can now sleep soundly without worry, she doesn't have to ever worry about being hungry.

Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it.:thumbs up

ancientgirl
September 21st, 2008, 03:04 PM
Dracko, yeah Oksana just goes through these periods now and then, and I think seeing Czari in bed just prompted her to settle in somewhere else. I know she'll come back at some point. For a while Vlad did the same, but now he's back sleeping next to me and waking me up to lay his little 18 pound self on my chest :laughing:

I was surprised when she laid down next to me and got all snuggly. I even felt her sigh :cloud9:. I see her as a cat that lost her family and was just so in need of feeling loved she felt she wanted to just be close to someone. I'm hoping to some day see her snuggled up next to one of the others, then I'll know she's really accepted them and feels like this is her family. She's really come a long way.

ancientgirl
September 21st, 2008, 03:09 PM
Great job, ancientgirl, Czarina is now as safe as she can possibly be and I bet she is a lot happier. It is stressful for kitties outside, even without considering the weather. She can now sleep soundly without worry, she doesn't have to ever worry about being hungry.

Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it.:thumbs up

I give her all the credit. It hasn't been easy for her. She'd been out there for 3 years. I think maybe this time she was ready. Maybe she remembered being here from the last time. Giving her a little extra room of her own helped a lot too. I think also she's realized the others don't mean her harm, so she's very slowly allowing them to at least get a little closer to her. Oh, and a little Prozac didn't hurt either.

She's a smart girl and deserves to have friends and to be loved.

Love4himies
September 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM
I agree that she deserves some credit, but you did a fantastic job, everything right and had a lot of patience. That made it easier for her to adjust to indoor life.

ancientgirl
September 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks. A lot of support from all of you here helped too.

rainbow
September 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM
I agree that she deserves some credit, but you did a fantastic job, everything right and had a lot of patience. That made it easier for her to adjust to indoor life.

I agree....you did an awesome job. :thumbs up

And, I love that pic. :cloud9:

krdahmer
September 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
I love those pics... you can really see how the stress is just gone from her face! She loves it at your house! You've done a great job:thumbs up... and I know what you mean about Oksana and the bed, Smoke is the same, a while back there, I was waking up to her at the top corner of my bed every morning and I was so excited as she'd been sleeping in the basement for years.... but it comes and goes, she did that for about a week but is now back to the basement again. I know she'll be back again, it's just her way.... doesn't want to spoil me too much! :rolleyes::laughing: I think she just doesn't want all the slobbery loving the boys give me to go to my head! ;)

chico2
September 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM
AG,the first pic almost made me cry,I am such a wuzz:laughing:
You have done a wonderful thing for her,you deserve all the credit,probably saved her little life.
I bet she will be forever grateful:cat:

ancientgirl
September 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Rainbow, thanks! We're all still getting used to things and learning new stuff, but getting to this point has been so hard, but worth the trouble.

Krdahmer, When Oksana was a kitten, she'd sleep nestled right next to me, in the crook of my arm. But now she's a big girl, and she has to sleep most of the time on her own, because nobody is the boss of her. :laughing:

Chico, I've got some pictures of her that just break my heart. That area where she hung around, which was her little home, has all been redone with huge plants and stones and wood chips. She would have been driven from her little safe spot. I walk past that spot daily and my heart breaks when I think of her hiding among the bushes on so many occasions. But that's in the past and this is now. And I can't wait for the holidays this year! I'm thinking about doing something special for them on Halloween, and this year I've got one more stocking to buy!:D I can't wait to wake up Christmas morning to give her her first stocking to play with!

hazelrunpack
September 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
That's so great, AG! :highfive: Sounds like Czarina's decided to stay this time. :cat: She knows when she's got it good! :thumbs up

Stacer
September 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
I've come to realize with my own crew that small steps make you feel just as great as the bigger steps.

Yay Czarina for sleeping in the big bed with all the other cats (minus Oksana :))!!!!

ancientgirl
September 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
Hazel, I think she does. A little while ago, she allowed me to pick her up and for the first time didn't hiss. She was still a little tense, and started to get nervous, so I let her down. But the face she allowed me to do it made me very happy.

Stacer, yes, any step, no matter how small is at least a step towards progress.

14+kitties
September 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM
:highfive::thumbs up:cloud9::cry::goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
September 21st, 2008, 11:00 PM
Great progress AG, especially between Kiska & Czarina :highfive:

Just keep watching for her signals (like the anxiousness when you held her), the other four have figured her out by now & she's learning to read them too.

All in good time :thumbs up ;) :grouphug:

TeriM
September 21st, 2008, 11:57 PM
Awesome progress :thumbs up.

ancientgirl
September 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys. Last night was her second night out, and no major issues. A few hisses and growls, but they calmed down eventually. I do like that Czari is sort of starting to hang around the gang a little more. Like when they all hear something and go on alert, she sort of looks at them to see what they're hearing. Or if they all go to the kitchen when I'm in there, she'll show up too. It's cute really. It's like she's really starting to stop being shy and she's doing more stuff. :cloud9: