Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cats vomitting bile

allan van as
September 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Hi All. We have just moved to Florida last month, with our siamese and oriental cats from London. We moved into a appartment complex on Tuesday, and they were fine on tuesday and wednesday.

On Thursday the complex sprayed a bug spray but said it was safe for cats.

On Friday BOTH cats started vomitting bile, and stopped eating. We took them to teh emergency room yesterday, and they both had blood tests which were pretty normal. (530 dollars later)

Brought them home and one cat has started eating, but Furby (Our four year old) vomitted again this morning and is very lethargic. (Wont take water of food).

Can we have some advice as to possible causes:

a) thee are no plants in apartment
b) they are in door cats, and have not been out
c) We have checked artificial plants in apartment but no sign that they have chewed these.

Do you think they could be poisened - ? We have also used sun screen (Spray on) cince arriving in Florida, and could that have caused a problem.

We are beside ourselves with worry, as these are our furry children, and a part of our family, which is why we flew them British airways from London to our nbew life here.

Please help if you can

Regards

allan Violet and Crystal and (Mojo and Furby)

14+kitties
September 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the forum. Wish it was under better circumstances.

I would be taking the cats back to the vet asap. Bug sprays are not great. I have never heard of one that is safe for humans let along cats. They need to be checked out more thoroughly.
Not sure about the spray on sun screen. Are they licking it off of you? :yuck:

sugarcatmom
September 21st, 2008, 10:47 AM
It would be just a guess as to why your kitties became sick (maybe from different food or water? And I wouldn't necessarily rule out the pesticides just because someone said they were safe - cats are very sensitive creatures). The important thing right now is that you get Furby eating. Offer him anything and everything - plain meat baby food (no onions), deli meat, boiled chicken with broth, unsalted canned salmon, sardines, whatever it takes. Does he have an absolute favourite treat to tempt him with? If he isn't eating something by the end of the day, I'd be on the phone with the vet discussing appetite stimulants.

I hope Furby gets his appetite back! Let us know how it goes.

allan van as
September 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM
thanks for the reply and good thoughts. Mojo is now eating and drinking, but Furby is still not eating or drinking.

We have tried dripping water in mouth to get at least something in.

Will be going back to vet this afternoon, but biggest worry is WHAT made them sick, as it could still be in our apartment.

Thanks again

allan van as
September 21st, 2008, 12:58 PM
thanks

We did boil plain chicken this morning, and thats what we got Mojo to begi9n eating, and he is recovering well.

We cant get Furby to eat anything, but when we put food near her mouth she licks her lips but wont actually eat.

She wont dring either.

Your thoughts are appreciated

Allan

badger
September 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM
The lip-licking is a sign of nausea, not enthusiasm for the food. I'd get her to the vet asap. Maybe she got a bigger dose of whatever it was that made them sick, or a worse case of some unidentified illness. If she's not eating or drinking, you really have no choice but to go to the vet. I'd take the other one too, just in case.

Sorry, didn't read your last post.
Please keep us posted.

Love4himies
September 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Please keep us posted on your sick kitty. I would take Furby back for another blood test to check kidney and liver functions. My puddles was poisoned when she was a kitten and her symptoms were very similar.

Good luck.

kiara
September 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
I really don't know much about this issue, but I have some ideas. Just to be sure it does not happen again, I would investige it myself. Something more serious may happen next time. You cannot trust what people tell you. What bugs were they trying to get rid of ? Do you know the name of the company that was used? Please call them and find out, (what are the usual procedures and if ever the animals have to be removed and for how many days after spraying ?) I would also tell them about your cats all of a sudden getting sick on Thursday and tell them how much was the vet bill. Ask your neighbors if this problem has occured before, what about other people's cats in the building and are they o.k.?