Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Would it work?

babymomma
September 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM
As some of you may already know, I am a Big dog Fanatic (When I say big dog i mean I like German shepherds, Danes, Goldens,Anything over 30 pds..lol)
Well, as most of you know, My dog is a yorkie and At 5 months she is 6 pds.. When I move out in 3 years time, I want to get a Shepherd or a pitbull but.. will This ever work? Can A yorkie Coexist with a German shepherd or a pittie? Would it be dangerous? Of course i would NEVER leave them unattended with eachother but Im worried that my dream of getting a big dog will never happen because of my decision to get a small dog :sad: I wouldnt trade keely for the world, But im curious as to how it would work..Any advise/ Info would be greatly appreciated.. Also, would i be able to have multiple big dogs with a small one?

Apainta
September 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
Keep your dream! This is very possible! My sister has a pom and a dogo and they are good together. Make sure to socialize your little pup with large dogs so she isn't caught off guard.

babymomma
September 21st, 2008, 08:42 AM
Keep your dream! This is very possible! My sister has a pom and a dogo and they are good together. Make sure to socialize your little pup with large dogs so she isn't caught off guard.

Thank you! I have been walking keely with a german shepherd lab mix that belongs to my neighbor, so i dont this she would be to bad with a big dog coming into the house, but i havent really had casey around for a long period of time because my owners just adopted her from a nice family and i dont want to stress the girl out too much..lol I didnt know if a german shepherd prey drive would want to kill her..lol.. Would a GSD puppy be to rough to have around her or would it be best to adopt an older dog that is dog freindly and gentle?

kathryn
September 21st, 2008, 09:07 AM
As long as both dogs are fixed and behave themselves there's no problem. My cousin who I'm visiting now has a big mixed breed lab type dog that is up to my waist and probably about 100 pounds named Honey.. and a dinky little chihuahua named Chloe that's about 5 pounds (and a pain in the butt). They get along just fine. Chloe is hyper but Honey just walks away from her and that's about it. The only time big dogs get annoyed is when it's little dogs that act tougher then they are. Generally big dogs do not attack little dogs or any dogs for that matter for no reason as long as they are trained properly. Proper introductions are important as well.

So I'd say go for it. It'd be fine. You'd want to try to look for a rescue dog who has been around other dogs and small dogs and is used to them.

babymomma
September 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks Kathryn! Although i encourage everybody to adopt from a rescue, I want my first big dog to be from a breeder and have it CKC registered(It will most likely be a german shepherd they are my fav breed and i know ALOT about them) I will Definatly Be adopting dogs throughout my life but I want my 1st Shepherd froma good breeder..lol...

14+kitties
September 21st, 2008, 09:51 AM
Three years is a long time away yet my girl. You have a lot of time to educate yourself on the big dog/ little god syndrome.
Did I word that wrong? No. Little doggies think they rule the roost. They are the queen/king of their home. No doubt about it!
That being said, I adopted a Shephard/Collie mix from the shelter years ago. When she was a year old I adopted a toy poodle. The Shep mix took the toy as her puppy. She was super protective of her. They got along very well most of the time. My Mutt and Jeff. :cloud9: Occasionally there would be a snap but that didn't happen often.
The most important thing to remember is that small dogs DON'T KNOW that they are small! They will go after any size of dog. Just keeping a very close eye on both dogs behaviour will help.

Dracko
September 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM
Well my GSD co-exists with 5 cats and in the 7 years I've had him no cat has every gotten hurt. When we see little dogs at the dog park I have no fear Dracko will hurt them and it isn't that he is a totally passive dog. I think you just have to make sure you don't get a large dog that is aggressive. Plus, the younger you get it that increases the chance of their not being any problems.

babymomma
September 21st, 2008, 07:29 PM
Thnanks agian for the reasurance and advice everybody! I know i still have three years, but i was thinking about it alot last night and accually got a little stressed out about it..

Thanks,

Jessica:cool: and keely:dog: