Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 6 rude cats

Pat in NH
September 20th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I have 6 cats, ages 10 to 17. Most have been with me for over 10 years. I think I'm doing all the right things....I use the litter they like best, I have 9 litter boxes scattered around my house, including one in EVERY room, and I use the Feliway plug ins. Each cat gets examined by a vet on a regular basis, not all are healthy, but under medication. Anyway...they're wrecking my house...they pee anywhere and everywhere! A couple of them will be outside playing for hours, and then they'll come inside and pee in a corner of the rug!, or on a piece of wooden furniture, or on the spare bed upstairs!!! I'm really nuts as I type this because I dote on my kitties day and night, don't go on vacations so as not to leave them, and spend half a thousand per month on food and medicine for the little critters! When I see them peeing in a particular spot I move a litter box to that spot, but then they'll pick another spot! They do use the boxes, and I clean everyone of them twice a day which can't be good for my lungs, but they continue to spray urine all over my home. Please someone - anyone ! Help me!!!!
PS When I ask my vet how to make it stop and says " Tell me when you find out, my house smells bad too." Is this inevitable with so many cats?

onster
September 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
just wondering, what do u use to clean after they soil a spot? u should use an enzymatic cleaner to get the smell out..but u prolly already know that :o as you seem very knowledeable (and who wouldnt be with 6 cats :crazy: lol) ....but I thought id throw that out there :shrug:

oh and welcome to the board!! sounds like ure an awesome kitty parent...I hope you find a solution to ure kitty peeing problem soon. Im sure other members will be along with suggestions/ideas soon...

Pat in NH
September 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I use Natures Miracle to clean up. Today I also used Orange Oil on the wood that's stained, hoping they won't like the citrus smell.

rainbow
September 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Do you have a fluorescent type black light? It will detect all the places there is cat pee in case you have missed some areas that need cleaning. Also this is a good website for tips....

http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

Good luck :fingerscr and welcome to the forum. :goodvibes:

krdahmer
September 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I also have 6 cats but don't have a problem with peeing only on the odd occassion if I don't clean the boxes in a timely fashion every day (Queen Windy will not use a soiled box!:rolleyes:). Mine are all strictly indoors though, they never go out, maybe yours are encountering something outside that is causing them stress and therefor inappropriate peeing?

Also do you know which ones in particular are your pee-ers? Is it possible they have a urinary infection or something? (I know you can collect the pee and bring it in to be analyzed- had to retire my turkey baster after that!) Have you tried using a different type of litter? Um... oh ya and the beds are the worst, when we got our new mattress Windy decided to 'christen' it for us :yuck: and no matter how many times i steam cleaned it, every time the sheets were off for even a second there was a new puddle... we ended up getting a really good mattress cover (a water-reisitent one), so I shampooed the mattress again and put the cover on and haven't had an incident since.:shrug:

:goodvibes: hope you find an answer soon... and welcome to you and all your kitties!! :D

14+kitties
September 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Just on an off chance - what are you feeding them? I noticed in the other thread you said some were on special diets?

chico2
September 20th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the cats going outside smelling other cats,my 3 spray freely outdoors when we take them out,only Rocky sprays in the house.
Feli-Way has just about eliminated his spraying though:thumbs up

badger
September 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
If you've got a cat door, I would block it and see if it makes any difference. It's more work but you get more control.

Pat in NH
September 21st, 2008, 07:31 AM
None of my cats like each other, so there is constant stress within the group.
Keeping them inside is not an option for me. If I couldn't go outside I'd rather not live, so I have to assume that's how they'd feel. All these cats were strays at the beginning of their lives, but I thought I could tame them-
They pretty much control me! I do free feed, some get natural no-grain food, some purina sensitive systems, some get renal care food, one gets lo-cal food, so I've worked out what's best for each one, and then I free feed with the natural no grain food. Two are hyper-thyroid and pee huge amounts, so I understand there'll be problems, but when I give my house that really good hands and knees cleaning I can't believe the damage they've done. I scoop litter boxes twice a day, religiously, and wash them every two weeks, because the litter costs $22 to fill all (I washed 11 yesterday) of them. I tried many types, and choose the litter they all used the most.
The Feliway helps, but I guess the truth is 6 cats is an acronym for trouble!
Thanks for all the advise....P:

14+kitties
September 21st, 2008, 07:47 AM
So it sounds to me like a lot of what you feed is hard food? That in itself can lead to dietary issues. I am not the expert in food here but we have a couple. I am sure they will pop in sooner.

In the meantime, maybe you can check this out.............

http://www.catinfo.org/

That site and the food gurus here have opened my eyes as to what is healthy and what is not.

I think part of the issue may be because they are allowed to come and go. They use the great outdoors wherever they please. Why not treat their home the same way?

kathryn
September 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM
That's pretty crazy. Is everyone fixed?

I have 7 adult cats inside at all times, foster kittens (right now got 2 in the house) and sometimes my other cat comes in from outside.

I have 2 litterboxes cleaned twice daily. I've only had the adult cats have one accident ever. I accidentally closed my door and it was before we had the catdoors installed and Maxwell peed in my beanbag chair. Then one other time I was potty training the kittens and Franklin peed in my bed (mattress protector worked atleast).

I have no idea why your kitties would be peeing everywhere. You put alot more effort into the litterboxes then me and my mom do. She dumps them about once a month and scrubs them out with pinesol then. Otherwise they never really get that nasty to begin with :shrug:

Good luck with them.. I wouldn't even know what to suggest.

sugarcatmom
September 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM
I think there might be a few things going on here, related to both health and stress. How long has the peeing been an issue? Do they all do it, or are there a few that tend to be the main culprits? I remember before that you were having problems with Furry peeing everywhere, due no doubt to his unregulated diabetes. Were there others peeing then too, or did he start the trend?

The cats with HyperT, have they had blood work recently? Sounds like they might need some tweaking with their meds to get it under better control. How many cats have renal issues? Are they receiving any other treatment besides the kidney diet? And about that food - it's actually the last thing an elderly cat, or any cat, should be eating, especially in kibble format. Kidney diets are old school, and do more harm than good. There honestly is no reason all your cats shouldn't be eating the exact same thing, which is meat-based low-carb wet food. Aiming for something lower in phosphorus would be best. You would probably save money on your monthly food bill if you ditched the prescription food.

From http://www.catinfo.org/
Kidney Failure: Kidney disease is probably the leading cause of mortality in the cat. It is troubling to think about the role that chronic dehydration may play in feline kidney failure. And remember, cats are chronically dehydrated when they are on a diet of predominantly dry food. The prescription dry 'renal diets' such as Science Diet k/d - which is commonly prescribed by veterinarians - contain only a small amount of moisture leaving your cat in a less than optimal state of water balance. I must say that I find it truly amazing when I hear about the very large numbers of cats receiving subcutaneous fluids while being maintained on a diet of dry food. This is extremely illogical and every attempt should be made to get these cats on a diet that contains a higher moisture content. Please also note the following list of the first four ingredients of Science Diet dry k/d after reviewing this section on reading a pet food label - and bearing in mind that your cat is a carnivore. The first three ingredients are not even meat and the fourth ingredient is a by-product meal.

Brewers rice, corn gluten meal, pork fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), chicken by-product meal

The purpose of this prescription diet is to restrict protein which it certainly does. Unfortunately, it restricts it to the point that the cat will often catabolize (use for fuel) his own muscle mass which results in muscle wasting and weight loss. The level of protein in this diet is not only at an extremely low level, it is in an incomplete form for a carnivore. Note that it is made up mainly of plant proteins - not meat proteins.

Something else to think about is the issue of arthritis. With elderly cats like yours, there is no doubt that arthritis is present in some of them. 80-90% of cats over the age of 12 have arthritis to some degree, most commonly in their elbows, but also hips or shoulders. This can effect bathroom habits as it hurts to get in and out of boxes, or is difficult to balance on unstable litter. Perhaps try a couple of boxes with super-low sides (or cutting a "doorway" into one with higher sides) and no more than an inch of litter. Glucosamine/chondroitin supplements might be worth considering.

And then there is the stress issue. Cats can be very territorial, even when neutered. The peeing might be a way for cats to stake out their domain, but it also frequently a stress release. Is there any way to section off your house so that the 6 are divided into a couple of smaller, more compatible groups, each with their own food, litter and bedding? Adding more vertical space to the situation in the form of tall cat trees and condos, window perches, shelving units, etc, could also help.

Those are just some of my suggestions. I hope you can find a solution as it must be extremely frustrating for you.

Here are some more links:
http://www.hdw-inc.com/litterbox.htm
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/inappro-elim.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/inappro-elim2.html

Pat in NH
September 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Mostly I feed wet food. The dry food is down all the time, though, and then morning and night I empty the unfinished canned food and feed fresh canned. My 16 year old Minnie is in good health but she is a finiky eater, as she has no teeth left. I got her as a rescue and her teeth were nearly rotten, causing the vet to remove all but 3. She gets the Renal food because she likes it. But after reading your blurb I will stop feeding her that. Another cat is an 18 year old "twisted cat" rescued from neighbors who refused to let her inside. I use baking pans for her litter boxes because they're low on the side, and my 13 year old with spondelosis also prefers these low-sided boxes. The the two hyperthyroid cats have been tested every 6 weeks for medication modification, but I really believe the two boys are the offenders. My alpha male squirts on the bookcase, and as soon as my new male smells that he lets loose too. But I've seen them all do this and maybe it is because they see no difference between inside and outside. I sometimes feed them outside if they won't come in, and that's probably a bad thing. I'm going to take all the advise you've given me and perhaps something will work. I'm surprised you remembered that info about Furry. I always thought it was just his problem, but now that he's been gone a couple of months I can see it's a social problem with all of them. Thanks again.