Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I have a question about my kitty that passed away

sunmamma
September 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi everyone: I am new here. My name is Sebrina and on Sept 11th (last week) we adopted a sweet little kitten named Cosmo from a shelter. He was 12 weeks old. When he first came home is was very playful and darling. Then on Wednesday he was lethargic and seemed to be limping. I called the shelter and they said it was likely a reaction to the vaccines they gave him and told me to give him a few drops of infant Motrin. I gave him one dose on Wednesday (about 20mg) and again on Thursday. He was not getting any better and in fact seemed much worse. I made an appointment to take him in to my vet for this morning, but in the night he got worse and I decided to take him to the emergency clinic. He died on the way there. Now I am reading on the net that Motrin is poison to cats and I cannot even tell how horrible I feel. I cannot stop crying a tthe thought i poisoned my kitty. The shelter told me it was ok and I thought they knew about cats. Do you think two small doses (20mg each) could kill him that fast or is it possible he had something else that was making him sick in the first place. I am riddled with guilt.
Warmly,
Sebrina

Jim Hall
September 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
well first of all you didnt do anything worng you took the advice of a shelter you thought was knowledgable I suspect motrin is toxic but it sounds like something else was going on with her kits can go downhill real fast . i am sorry for your loss

if you get another kit and i hope you do do your self a favor and get him to a vet for a checkup as soon as you get him preferably not the vet the shelter used .

krdahmer
September 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM
It does sound like there was something else going on, and for the future lethargy is always a sign that you need a vet visit as soon as possible. I imagine the Motrin did not help, but it was in no way your fault, you were trying to help him. You just got very bad advice. He may have been having a bad reaction to the vaccines (I'm sure someone will provide you with some links about the down falls of vaccines), could have had an infection or disease that didn't take hold until he came to you.... there are so many things that can affect young kittens and make them very very ill very fast.

I made a mistake with one of the first kittens I ever took in by bathing him when he was sick (which led to him getting sicker and eventually passing away :sad:), so I know the guilt you must be feeling. :grouphug: Just use this experience so that in the future with your next kitties, you always go to your own vet for advice.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :rip: Cosmo :angel: :pray:

ancientgirl
September 19th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry for the loss of both your previous cat and poor little Cosmo. I can understand your feelings of guilt. But you took the advice of the shelter thinking whomever gave it to you was knowledgeable. But, I also agree with krdahmer, he may have had a bad reaction to the vaccines or perhaps some other issue they weren't aware of.

We love pets
September 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Ah poor little thing..I am so sorry. Are you thinking of getting another cat?
I know it can't bring back your little one.. But it might help ease the pain.
:candle: for your little one!

sunmamma
September 19th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Thank you so much everyone! We are thinking about getting another little one. The shelter has offered to give us another cat 9or kitten) and waive the adoption fee. And while I am none too happy with their rotten advise, I may take them up on the offer. I do plan on writing them a letter though and including information about giving medical advise and how Ibuprofen is toxic to cats.

Warmly,
Sebrina
ps: Here is a picture of sweet Cosmo

TeriM
September 20th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Cosmo was adorable :cloud9:. I am so sorry for you loss and wish you happiness in your future pet adventures. The best thing you can do to honor Cosmo's memory is to save another cat or kitten in a shelter :).