Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Letter to the editor

lotus
September 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I will be sending this to the local paper for letter to the editor section.
Let me know if I should change anything. I will also rephrase it to send off to the link Benmax posted in another thread.

Breed Specific legislation,
What is wrong with this? Let me shed a bit of light onto the BSL ,this give the government the right to tell people what dogs they can and cannot own. The BSL is to prevent vicious dog attacks by banning certain breeds, currently Ontario does not allow Pitbulls as they are deemed vicious. The thing is ,is the breed vicious or is the owner? FYI most vicious dog attacks are mixed breed dogs. If the BSL is allowed to continue what dogs will be spared? In my opinion the BSL is a form of animal abuse these dogs are being murdered, euthanasia is sparing an animal from a terminal illness or injury that will end in a painful death. All dogs have the ability to bite so will all dogs be ban/murdered? We as Canadians have allowed our government to tell us Pitbulls are all bad dogs, are they? No. The media has help in the rising fear of dog breeds before you judge a breed ,meet a well trained dog of that breed ,like children they must be taught what is right and wrong. Responsible owners do not raise dogs to attack ,they take great care in training their dogs to be obedient ,kind loving family pets. Itís the owner of a dog that should be held accountable. Other dogs that may be ban the Rottweiler, Doberman, Dalmatian, Labrador retrievers just to name a few. These dogs will be put to death for nothing just because of their breed. If you want to keep your dog you will be forced to muzzle it when in public or move. Itís time we start to ask when will it stop? Dogs are not disposable they are living breathing animals, they are loving loyal members of families. Instead of banning breeds why not set standards for owners, if you want to own a large breed dog you must enroll it in obedience classes, maybe set an age factor if under said age you can not have one, before buying said dog you must attend classes to teach how to handle said dog. Neglectful ,abusive and flat out careless people are who is responsible for vicious dogs. Itís time we wake up and take a good hard look at what is happening. Ask the question after all large dogs are deemed vicious what is left for leading the blind helping the disabled , what are the police and drug enforcement going to use ,how about search and rescue are we going to use a Poodle, to protect the country? Yes if the dog is deemed vicious no one can have or own that breed that includes law enforcement and the disabled. Why do we sit back and do nothing to stop stupid laws? Donít take the word of the government read and research do your home work theses dogs are not meant to be attack dogs itís what people have trained them to be. PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED! We as Canadians are wimps we never take a stand, bow down and let the government dictate to us, this is no longer a free country. Be a voice that is heard itís election time ask who is going to end the BSL. Ask what dog will be used in law enforcement and rescue situations? Fare is fare we canít own the breed they canít either.
Just a thought, Maybe we should be ban from having children as many grow up to be abusive , murders and pedophiles, our prisons are full of people that use to be children. Not the same you say , why because we are human. Let a child raise it self and see what becomes of him or her, same let a dog raise itís self and see what you get.

Jim Hall
September 19th, 2008, 09:58 AM
proofread it there are some grammatical errors otherwise i would try to edit it down imo

lotus
September 19th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Fixing grammar errors as you can tell grammar was not a strong subject for me in school.:sad:

badger
September 19th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Break it into short paragraphs (2-3 sentences max), or no-one will read it to the end, trust me. I didn't.

jessi76
September 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM
as noted, grammatical errors. More importantly though, I'm not fond of the use of the generic term "pitbull". I think you'd come across more serious if you used the proper breed names of dogs that are lumped into the the "pitbull" category. American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bull dogs, etc...

It's unfortunate that people (including those who make these silly rules and laws) see MANY different (and distinct) breeds as "pitbulls".

lotus
September 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the help and your opinions. I'll work to shorten it up, and fix the grammar.
jessi76 thanks I fixed that first.

Dorothea
September 19th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Fare is fare - do you mean fair?

lotus
September 19th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Shorter and hopefully still gets the message out:fingerscr

Breed Specific legislation
The BSL is to prevent vicious dog attacks by banning specific dog breeds. Currently Ontario does not allow the American Pitbulls as they have been deemed vicious. FYI most vicious dog attacks are mixed breed dogs. If the BSL is allowed to continue what dogs will be spared? In my opinion the BSL is a form of animal abuse these dogs are being murdered, euthanasia is for sparing an animal from a painful death due to illness or injury. Other dogs slated to be ban the Rottweiler, Doberman, Dalmatian, Labrador Retrievers just to name a few.
Itís election time, ask who is going to end the BSL, after all large dogs are deemed vicious what is left for leading the blind helping the disabled, what are the police and drug enforcement going to use, how about search and rescue are they going to use a Poodle. Fair is fair we canít own the breed they canít either.
Instead of banning breeds set standards for owners, if you want to own a large breed dog you must enroll it in obedience classes, even set an age factor if under set age you can not have one, before buying your dog you must attend classes to teach how to handle it.
Responsible owners do not raise dogs to attack they take great care in training their dogs to be loving and obedient. Puppies are a lot like children they must be taught right and wrong. PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED!

mona_b
September 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM
And you can even add this link...;)

http://www.lawdogsusa.org/updates.html

ancientgirl
September 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Good letter. I hope you get some positive response. I blame the media most for this witch hunt.