Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doing some math on food prices for the gang

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I feed my gang Wellness grain free. I realized that I may save a significant amount of money buying the gang 12.5 oz cans as opposed to 5.5 oz cans.

Right now I feed them 4 5.5 oz + 1 3 oz can daily.

I realized that 2 12.5 oz cans equals the same amount of food daily, for a lot less money. If my calculations are correct, by buying the 12.5 oz cans I can save between $23.00 - $35.00 monthly. I did the math using 2 different prices from two different places I buy them their food.

I can't believe what a savings that is! And I can't believe I'm such a bonehead I've only just now noticed this! I mean, with what I'm saving, I can just use that for their monthly litter!

I was starting to wonder if I could continue to afford feeding them Wellness, but now I see it's a little more doable.

Winston
September 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM
AG we all live in a land of convienence and we forget sometimes! Good news though! its affordable!

I went the other day and bought 1 40lb bag of dog food, 1 small bag of cat food kibble, 3 cans of canned and it cost me 123.00 !! oh and I had to order my case of canned cause they were all out so I still have to pay 42.00 for that when it arrives! :laughing::laughing: I was just saying that thats at least a weeks worth of groceries!

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I just assumed the larger cans would cost more. But today I noticed they were $1.99, then I looked at the usual can I buy and it was $1.29. And :lightbulb::laughing:

I was like wth? Hang on AG, whip out your calculator! LOL, it was one of those "I could have had a V-8" moments, except with cat food.

Jim Hall
September 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
the place i go to also guves a vreak if you buy a case of 24 trouble is i still cant get du ti eat it regurlarly she is such a fancy feast junky

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Next time I go, I'm going to have a look at the cases. Jim, it took me months to switch the gang from Fancy Feast too. I never thought they'd eat anything else.

wdawson
September 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
my three dog eat a 25lb of food a month...it costs me $77.00 with tax , so thats $25 a month each.....the cats are alot cheaper about $10-$12 a month X3.

growler~GateKeeper
September 17th, 2008, 11:04 PM
ancientgirl - should you have any left over from the larger cans it can be either frozen - when I was feeding canned I checked w/Wellness they said it doesn't change anything in the food, or just refridgerated

Love4himies
September 18th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I too buy the 12 oz cans of Wellness and save a bundle! I have also started purchasing chicken backs (10 cents per back) and beef scraps (free :D) from my local butcher to feed the kittens their raw because prepared raw was costing so much; more work on my part, but the meat is fresher and they love it (I can even get Jasper and Puddles to eat the raw chicken). Currently I spend approx $50 per week on cat food :eek:.

Love4himies
September 18th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I was like wth? Hang on AG, whip out your calculator! LOL, it was one of those "I could have had a V-8" moments, except with cat food.

:laughing::laughing: Cute

BeagleMum
September 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I am the queen of calculating the price per gram or per mL when I am buying something, I always go for the cheapest. I just wish that I could buy the biggest bags of dog food because I would save there too but they just last too long and I would be afraid of it going stale. The medium bag lasts me exactly a month where the large bags last about 2.5 months or so.

14+kitties
September 18th, 2008, 08:26 AM
BeagleMum - if you have a large container (dog biscuit pail or something) you could put the dog food in one of those with the lid. It would keep the food fresh pretty well. I have done it for Sam and she doesn't seem to mind the food at the end of the bag. :shrug:

You guys don't even wanna know what I spend a month! I am working for my kitties!! AG - anything that will help you save is a good thing. :thumbs up Now stay away from the kitty treats.... just stay away........ :D

chico2
September 18th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I still buy the 3oz cans Wellness at $1.05/can,they eat 3 cans/day.
I've tried refrigerating food,but even though I warm it up a bit,they will not eat it and it gets wasted.
I don't even want to think about what I spend every 2 weeks on birdseeds,squirrell-stuff,cat-food and dog-food(treats for Bailey),so I just won't:laughing:

Chris21711
September 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I just assumed the larger cans would cost more. But today I noticed they were $1.99, then I looked at the usual can I buy and it was $1.29. And :lightbulb::laughing:

Why everything in the US is cheaper than here :frustrated: for the large cans of Wellness grain free I pay $2.39 a can and the small ones $l.39 a can..

my three dog eat a 25lb of food a month...it costs me $77.00 with tax , so thats $25 a month each.....the cats are alot cheaper about $10-$12 a month X3.

Our four dogs eat approx 60lbs a month, people look at Bassets as being small but they both weigh in at 70lbs or thereabouts. I don't buy much in the way of treats though. Normally Carrots and Bananas. Then with Daisy's food and the Birds :yell: I don't want to do the math. The canned food for the dogs costs about $16 a week, Pepe would die if he knew, I take the price stickers off :D

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I used the first large can this morning and it yielded 3 tablespoons per cat, plus maybe half a tablespoon left for each. I don't waste any food either or have to put any away, which is good because they don't like re-heated stuff :shrug: So this is definitely the way to go. I'm thinking about just taking back the other cans and exchanging them for the bigger cans instead of just waiting to use them up.

I did the math better here at work. I was spending $43 on 7 days worth of food for them, $172 a month!:eek: Now I'll be spending $27 a week and $111 a month. Look at the savings right there. I'm going to see how much a case costs, because that might be another savings too.

This is really going to help a LOT!

BeagleMum
September 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Wow ancientgirl, that is a huge savings. I might just have to look into what I spend and if there are ways for me to save $$ as well.

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah, any little bit helps. I've been cutting back on lots of things. I changed my insurance to a higher deductible plan and saved myself about $75 a month. And now with this That's another $60 a month. Now I just need to see how much the cases sell for there and see if that will yield another savings.

I'm very happy, because this means I can still feed them high quality food, the same amount of food and for less money! If they knew this, they'd be jumping for joy. "Yay mommy can buy us more toys!"