Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

some questions

breeze
September 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I have a couple of questions..

1) when we walk (doesn't matter who walks him) Archer he put part of the leash in his mouth. He doesn't pull, play or wrestles with it. (I'm still holding the other end). if it's not the leash it will be a stick..

will it create problems in the future if we allow him to do this?? or should we stop him??

2) Has anyone heard of giving goats milk (not cows milk) to help with digestive, and intestinal problems..

:pawprint:

Chris21711
September 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Breeze I don't think that by letting Archer carry his leash or a small stick can do any harm. I have seen dogs 'taking themselves' for walks, they carry the leash in their mouths while the owner is beside them and as you say you are holding the other end, he is in no danger. The stick, I would think that as long as it is not too big it should'nt damage his teeth.

The goats milk - I have no idea, interested to find out though. :)

BenMax
September 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Hi Breeze,

I train dogs not to hold their leash because it starts to become a game of tug and war.

I would personally not encourage this. There is a way to make them stop. Once they have the leash in the mouth I give the command of 'leave it'. I then ensure the leash is held high directly above the neck so they cannot see it nor grap it. I continue holding and walking so that the temptation disappears from his/her mind. If you want, you can remove the leash from the mouth and give him a big stick to carry. He wants to work and this is his way of being useful.

So remove the leash and replace it with something he likes to hold.

As far as the milk thing goes - I have not a clue.

Chris21711
September 17th, 2008, 09:22 AM
BenMax - Archer is 10 weeks old, so I don't think a big stick is a good idea IMO.

BenMax
September 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
BenMax - Archer is 10 weeks old, so I don't think a big stick is a good idea IMO.

I did not know the dog was so young....

Easy then - just teach the leave it and hold the leash as I said. This dog wants to play. This is a phase. However, this behaviour should not be encouraged.

breeze
September 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM
thank you I will try this..:thumbs up

we are already teaching him to leave it with leaves and other things we find on the ground..:thumbs up sometimes it works other times it doesn't :laughing:

rainbow
September 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Many pups, especially retrieving breeds, tend to mouth and chew their leashes. Generally, they outgrow this. If it gets so bad that there is a tug of war happening every time you attempt to walk, try spraying the lower end of the leash with a bitter type spray (available at your local pet supply shop) or wrapping the leash in tin foil (have you ever chewed on itů?)

Chase did this when he was a puppy but he outgrew it. Being a retriever he does still like to pack things in his mouth though so we just give him a small stuffie to take along.

cpietra16
September 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Hi breeze, maybe Archer wants to make a point of who's walking who...maybe he fells like walking you...taking control...:D

breeze
September 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Chase did this when he was a puppy but he outgrew it. Being a retriever he does still like to pack things in his mouth though so we just give him a small stuffie to take along.

I thought of bringing a rope or a small dowling along to see if he will carry it, :D:D

Hi breeze, maybe Archer wants to make a point of who's walking who...maybe he fells like walking you...taking control...:D

hummmm I wonder :laughing::laughing:

sometimes I think if it will make him walk any better so be it, I just don't want it to become a problem in the future when he gets bigger..

bendyfoot
September 18th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I usually don't like dogs holding their own leashes, especially if they're pulling. I never let Gracie do it, and little Heidi's not allowed either...they're too terrier-ey:D That said, I let Jaida hold her leash. She doesn't pull, it actually puts her into a nice loose-leash heel strangely enough, and she hasn't got a dominant bone in her body, there's no intent to control my movements...I think it's just a comfort thing for her.

TeriM
September 20th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Both Lucy and Riley went through this period as a puppy as well. With Riley I finally convinced him that he shouldn't be carrying his leash so then he decided that he needed to hold Lucy's leash instead. She wasn't overly amused so he eventually figured out that it was just a bad idea in general (but not before destroying a few leashes). I love the idea of wrapping aluminum foil around the leash :thumbs up.

sugarcatmom
September 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM
2) Has anyone heard of giving goats milk (not cows milk) to help with digestive, and intestinal problems..

I've heard of goat yogurt for digestive issues (because of the probiotics) and goat dairy is usually better tolerated by cats and dogs than cow dairy, but I don't see the advantage of using any kind of milk, goat or otherwise. Not sure if you've ever purchased goat yogurt before but it's rather expensive. If one did want to add probiotics to their pet's diet, buying high potency capsules from the health food store would be more economical and effective.