Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help teeny new kitten

Lise
September 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
We have a new kitten.Found this afternoon,we kept hoping his mother would come back for him.Now it's dark ,he's been yelling all afternoon,we have coyotes in our woods,he's in a box with a heating pad in our spare room.He's a very big,fat little guy probably only kitten.He's about four weeks old,so not weaned.I have no kmr,so I gave him kitten food with lots of water through a pipette which worked great since he was really hungry.Cleaned him with a warm cloth so he peed etc.Does anyone have a kitten replacement formula for him until I can get out to get him so kmr?The watered down kitten food will keep him from dehydrating,but he needs more over night.

Frenchy
September 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Lise , I once had to feed kittens for a week end, someone gave me a formula recipe , corn syrop , eagle brand ....not sure if there was something else , I'll try to find it for you.

Frenchy
September 16th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Oh crap , I found the thread but Inverness had pm me the recipe and I don't have the pm anymore (was 2 years ago) but there's still some advices in there.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31728

I can e-mail Inverness if you want the recipe Lise.

sugarcatmom
September 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Here's a site with a few different recipes: http://www.solanoferals.org/orphaned.html

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Good luck with the kitten. I hope you can keep the little guy/gal healthy. I hope mommy cat is okay.

14+kitties
September 16th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Not so sure he needs the heating pad at this time of the year. It is warm enough without it. Just make sure he has a nice warm blanket to cuddle into. The heating pad may burn him. Good luck with feeding him and hopefully finding his mommy. :thumbs up :fingerscr:goodvibes:

Lise
September 17th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Well he made it through night.No sign of mom,we've only got two orange shorthair males who live in the barn behind us,so no idea were he came from.He ate well this morning and last night.I think we'll keep heating pad at night it's wrapped in blankets on low and it's not warm in here at night!This is Fudge,as in oh fudge were is your mother?oh fudge I didn't really want another cat!!Thanks for help.

Love4himies
September 17th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Oh my goodness, what a sweetie pie :lovestruck:. Is he old enough to go to the bathroom on his own? He looks so tiny.

ancientgirl
September 17th, 2008, 08:51 AM
What a precious little baby! I hope he continues to do well. Are you going to keep him? :cloud9: Fudge is very cute.

Lise
September 17th, 2008, 09:22 AM
No he's not going to the bathroom on his own,so we're doing the warm facecloth thing which works fine.If he survives we'll keep him,since my oldest daughter moved out and took our two cats with her.I really hope he's okay,it's really hard not to fall in love with them.I've never raised only one kitten,I've done litters at this age and younger.Should I be doing anything different because he's alone?

Diamondsmum
September 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
awwe Lise what a sweetie...

I wish him the best of luck lil fudge LOL

Sounds like you know what your doing.. Keep it up :thumbs up

Lise
September 18th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Fudge is doing well so far.He's eating well after he eats and gets cleaned etc he plays for about two minutes and falls asleep.Here's Fudge after breakfast,still a little damp from being cleaned and mad.

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I'm so happy he's doing well. He doesn't look too happy in that first picture LOL.

diandpat
September 18th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Ya, he does look mad in that first pic...little rascal! :cloud9:

Looks like you are doing a great job of "mothering" him. Odd that he just showed up like that with no Mum in sight...hope she is OK somewhere too.

It is very nice of you to take on this unexpected responsibility.

Sometimes you get what you want and sometimes you get what you need...guess you needed Fudge :angel2:

Jim Hall
September 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM
lol fudge good luck little fella i had 2 kitts dropeedoff a few monthe age we named them o for c's sake and o s***

Frenchy
September 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
He's adorable ! :lovestruck:

Tundra_Queen
September 18th, 2008, 02:07 PM
What a cutie! And he was lucky to find you! The second pic he doesn't look too happy either,, I think I see claws sticking out? *G* But he is precious!! :)

Lise
September 18th, 2008, 04:30 PM
here's happier camper

ancientgirl
September 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM
OMG! What a little angel! He reminds me of Vlad when he was a tiny kitty like that.:lovestruck:

Have you taken him to the vet yet?

kanis
September 18th, 2008, 10:03 PM
He is so adorable. Good luck to you and little Fudge.

Lise
September 19th, 2008, 07:25 AM
He hasn't gone to vet yet,I have her dogs in so when she comes to pick them up she can give him a quick check.If everything goes okay he can get his first vacc when the girls go in for theirs in two weeks.

Love4himies
September 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM
He is such a sweetie :cloud9::lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
October 27th, 2008, 01:27 AM
awww look at him all snuggled up w/a stuffie :lovestruck: