Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

just a hello-purr

weena
September 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
My husband and I just adopted a kitten and I have been trying to introduce her to her older cat siblings...( have had her screened for disease and vaccinated)
one bleats when he sees her and the older shy one hyperventilates and then does get some good hissing in too...so it is more of a uphill battle than I thought..I thought everybody loves a kitten.....sigh
so her and I sit at the computer surfing the net looking for help and I found this wonderful site..which I have now joined
so hello to all the new kitten owners/staff out there in net land

not quite exasperated yet.. but close

14+kitties
September 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hi weena. Welcome!

Have you done a proper introduction or just thrown the cats together and hoped they would get along? If the latter you need to start over again and do a proper intro.
Ideally a kitten should be put in a separate room for the first week or so. Let the kitten get comfortable with his/her new living quarters. Let the older cats get used to the fact that there is a new entity in "their" home. You can let the cats sniff each other under the door. You can also take some of the bedding the cats have been sleeping on and switch it. In other words - take some of the older cats and put it in with the kittens. Take some of the kittens and put it with the older cats. This lets them get used to each others smells without worrying about injury.
When I have to introduce a new cat into the dynamics here I use a large dog crate. The newbie goes into the crate with litter box, food, water, bed, toys. This way they can see/be seen without getting hurt.
It takes some time to introduce a new cat/dog. Please don't rush it. If you do you are risking injury, especially to the kitten.

There is a lot of things to learn about introducing cats. Here are a couple of sites to check out. Hopefully they will help.

http://www.wvcats.com/integrating_kittens_with_cats.htm

http://www.vetontheweb.co.uk/pet-clinic-detail.asp?id=471

hazelrunpack
September 16th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I've got no experience with cats and/or kittens, but I did want to say hi. :D

Well...and bug you for pictures, too, of course, cuz I'm a pest that way. :o

Welcome to the board!

Guinness' mom
September 17th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I have never seen any of my cats I have had welcome any newcomer with open arms. :rolleyes: The 2 cats I have now tolerate each other but the older one is the BOSS that is Cali...Buttercup gets second choice on the food bowl and sleeping spot. I agree on keeping them separate and a slow introduction. As for adding Guinness (lab)...my two cats have never forgiven me...LOL They are still separated by doggie gates...he tries to say hello but all he gets is a hiss and a good swat to the face if he is able to get near them.

weena
September 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I appreciate all the information I received to help introduce Fleur to her older adult cat siblings..
I learned alot about how cats think at the web sites I went to and moreover, my hubby also learned how throwing them intogether is not such a good idea...as a hiker...he is wary of bear cubs as their mothers are often around ready to kill anybody who touches her baby....
just an adult cat thinks first...what is this animal jumping everywhere?...and oh it is a "cat" so where is its mother.... and will I get attacked?

Tundra_Queen
September 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hi

Welcome to the forum!

I'm introducing 2 kittens to a six yr old cat and dog. The dog is no problem at all,,it's the older cat that is giving the problem and I did a slow introduction too. I used 2 baby gates and put one on top of the other as the cts will try to climb or jump over them. I also gave them treats to make it "seem" like a good experience. Some days are better than others, today was not a good day. So I am going to go back to only leaving the kittens out for just an hour or two,,, not 4 at a time. I'm go them sept 12th and I have found that feliway spray seems to help.

Debbie