Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with a stray cat

Cathy1
September 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Our neighbor had a house fire in early July and they have left their cat behind. We have been feeding him but cannot find the owner. I can get a live trap but what do I do with him if I get him? I cannot keep him as I have 2 cats & 2 Dogs and do not have room or finances for more. The OSPCA said they cannot take strays they only take owner turn ins. They said to call animal control and let them take care of it but they only keep them for a short period of time. When I called animal control they said with the cat not being fixed that he probably wouldn't find a home.

Love4himies
September 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM
What part of Ontario are you in?

Love4himies
September 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
How is Patches doing?

Chris21711
September 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
The OSPCA said they cannot take strays they only take owner turn ins. They said to call animal control and let them take care of it but they only keep them for a short period of time. When I called animal control they said with the cat not being fixed that he probably wouldn't find a home.

If you tell the OSPCA that the cat was ABANDONED then that is different.Technically he was abandoned and is not a stray. They take in abandoned animals.

Cathy1
September 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm in Woodstock, Ontario.
Patches is doing great.
I told the OSPCA that the cat was abandoned and they said I would have to get a letter from the owner or they have to bring the cat in,but I don't know where the owners are.This is the email I got from them.

Hi Cathy,

Is this cat in Woodstock? If so, unfortunately I can't help, Hillside Kennels has the animal control contract for the city of Woodstock. The only cats I am allowed to take in are cats that are surrendered to us by their owners. I do have a live trap here that you could use to catch it, and if you could get a letter of consent or have the owners bring the cat to us for surrender then I would be happy to take it.

We also can't guarentee what happens to cats once they are brought in to us, and at this point we are extremely full. That being said, we take all things into consideration before making any decisions on a cats length of stay with us.

The live trap is here, there is a $20 deposit required but that is returned to you upon return of the trap. If you would like to use it give me a call and we can arrange a time for pick up.

I am very sorry I couldn't be more help.

badger
September 16th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Have you called Hillside Kennels. The name does not inspire confidence.
Every shelter in the country seems to be in crisis mode. Have you spoken to any rescues? You can find a list of them on petfinder.com if you enter your postal code. You'll probably have to do some pleading, however.

BenMax
September 16th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Ok this is just ridiculous...

Are there any cat rescues in your neck of the woods?

Cathy1
September 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hillside Kennels is our pound and they said they only keep some animals up to 30 days. I have contacted rescues and 3 told me there is no room and 1 other said they will ask around and see if someone can foster him.

NoahGrey
September 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I am finding hard to believe that a Humane Society does not take in strays. This is the whole basis of what a Humane Society is. Giving the homeless pets a temperory home, till they find their forever home. But sadly Oxford county does not.

here is why they say they don't:

Why won't you come pick up all these strays?
We are not the city or county pound, and are not contracted out by any municipality to provide animal control services. Our resources are extremely limited, and if we were to start doing animal pick ups, we would not have any time left to care for the animals that are in our shelter. We are here to help as many animals as we can, but we rely on the public to bring us animals, as opposed to us coming to pick them up. Also, there are simply too many animals for us to deal with. We try to help as much as we can, but the problem is simply that many people refuse to spay or neuter their animals, and let them roam freely, resulting in the overpopulation crisis that we are dealing with.

And to think, if they started to pick up these cats, they would be slowly making a difference. Right now, they are only causing more problems for themselves for not taking this issue head on. How do they expect for a issue to be resolved, if they do nothing about it. Not to mention how stupied it is to relay on the public. Sadly most people don't give a damn or have the time to bring in every stray cat they see. It's the classic case of throwing up your arms and saying "I can't do anything".

Remind me never to apply to Oxford County

ACO22

Cathy1
September 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Right now Oxford Humane Society is taking collections to build a bigger building so they can take in dogs. Are they only going to take in dogs that are owner surrender? We got out dog Duke from Hillside Kennels and I do not like some of things they do there. I asked why Duke was soaking wet and cold and they said Duke would not use the doggy door to go outside to the bathroom so they had to wash down the kennel with him in it but the whole other side of the building had kennels that were empty. Why they did not move him to another cage to clean , I don't know. The cat just came up to eat and I got a picture. He is very nervous with us looking out the window.

chico2
September 16th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Cathy,this is just terrible,I cannot believe the shelter would refuse you:yell:
Is this poor little abandoned kitty going stay outside all winter:sad:
Most Humane Societies,at least where I live,always have room to rescue one more kitty,not leave it outside to face the elements alone,that's just sickening.
Mostly I curse the moronic,evil owners,who obviously do not care.:evil:
Hopefully you will find a solution for this little black beauty,at least a fosterhome:pray:

Cathy1
September 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I called the humane society again trying to talk them into taking him but they said they needed the owner to come forward. I even gave them the name of the owner and they said they would check into it. I am very disappointed with humane society here. A rescue called me and said if we can take him in for 4-6 weeks it may give them time to find a foster. I talked to my husband and he said it's time to clean out our front porch and give this kitty a place to stay until we find someone to take him. :thumbs up The porch is closed in and heated and will have to talk to our vet to see if we can get a deal on getting him fixed and vaccinated. The rescue said they may be able to help with vet bill. He sprays on everything but we are going to tear off the porch in the spring and rebuild anyway. Just maybe I can talk my sister into taking him later on, her cat died 2 weeks ago at the age of 16 and is just not ready right now for another.

14+kitties
September 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
:thumbs up Way to step up Cathy1!! :highfive: Thank you for giving this guy another chance. Hopefully your sister can take him in or a rescue soon. :fingerscr Mmm, maybe by the time someone comes forward you will have decided you can't part with him. :rolleyes: (j/k)
It would be great if you can get him fixed and health checked. It won't necessarily solve the spraying though. Everyone here says Feliway works really well. Maybe if the spraying doesn't abate you could give it a try?
Once again, thanks for stepping up!!!!! :angel:

Cathy1
September 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Thank you for giving this guy another chance. Mmm, maybe by the time someone comes forward you will have decided you can't part with him. :rolleyes: (j/k)

I wish I could but the by-law states only 3 pets per household and we already have 4. I will try feliway and hopefully that helps. Thanks everybody.

Love4himies
September 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I was thinking if you were in Eastern Ontario, I would take him to the shelter that I volunteer with. Sounds like you have a temporary solution :thumbs up.

chico2
September 17th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Cathy,that's great news,thank you:thumbs up
I had a feeling you would not be able to just leave him out there;)
I hope he's not going to go crazy and want out and that the shelter will be able to help with vet-costs:fingerscr
Thank you for caring:cat:

Chris21711
September 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I don't understand the OSPCA's actions in Oxford County. Our SPCA in York Region does not take strays unless they are from the Municipalities that they are contracted for, but if an animal is abandoned then they take them. It seems quite an oxymoron that an animal that is classified as 'abandoned' needs to be 'surrendered' by the owner. Thereby making it no longer 'abandoned' but a 'surrender' :confused:

Cathy1 - Thankyou for taking care of this kitty until a better solution can be found :thumbs up

:offtopic: ACO22 - Guess you are in Agent's training now, no?

kiara
September 17th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Your OSPCA has some strange rules and regulations, that the owner has to surrender it ?? I never heard of that. You should talk to your member of parliament to have these rules changed. I cannot believe you have a problem placing just one cat! Montreal SPCA takes in all animals that people bring in, but there is a charge for that. The situation in Quebec is so desperate, (AND IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE), there are just too many abandoned cats everywhere!!! Since you have 2 dogs and 2 cats you should talk to your vet maybe he could take the stray in for adoption. I know here in Quebec some vets are doing that, even groomers are also trying to help. Also we try to place kittens in pet shops, out of total desparation!!!! RESCUE GROUPS ARE AGAINST PET SHOPS, SINCE THEY SELL UNNUTERED ANIMALS, (in some way I agree with that). BUT WHERE ARE WE SUPPOSED TO PUT ALL THESE UNWANTED CATS WHEN EVERY RESCUE IS ALWAYS FULL AND PEOPLE DON'T WANT THESE STRAYS IN THEIR BACKYARD ????

BenMax
September 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Your OSPCA has some strange rules and regulations, that the owner has to surrender it ?? I never heard of that. You should talk to your member of parliament to have these rules changed. I cannot believe you have a problem placing just one cat! Montreal SPCA takes in all animals that people bring in, but there is a charge for that. The situation in Quebec is so desperate, (AND IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE), there are just too many abandoned cats everywhere!!! Since you have 2 dogs and 2 cats you should talk to your vet maybe he could take the stray in for adoption. I know here in Quebec some vets are doing that, even groomers are also trying to help. Also we try to place kittens in pet shops, out of total desparation!!!! RESCUE GROUPS ARE AGAINST PET SHOPS, SINCE THEY SELL UNNUTERED ANIMALS, (in some way I agree with that). BUT WHERE ARE WE SUPPOSED TO PUT ALL THESE UNWANTED CATS WHEN EVERY RESCUE IS ALWAYS FULL AND PEOPLE DON'T WANT THESE STRAYS IN THEIR BACKYARD ????

I agree this sounds odd! I would get a membership and demand why. I would meet with the director and if that does not work, I would absolutely gather as many members as possible to sign a petition for an open meeting.

They are a humane society - no a federal office with red tape. An animal in need is an animal in need. It is even MORE desperate if the animal does not have an 'owner'. How could they turn their backs on the most needy?

This is an outrage!

Love4himies
September 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I thought the regional SPCA's fall under Ontario SPCA rules? I know SD&G (Cornwall) SPCA takes in strays, Jasper was a stray.

Love4himies
September 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM
It states in their website they do take in abandoned animals:

http://www.oxfordspca.on.ca/services.html

BenMax
September 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Ok so what the heck?

Cathy1
September 17th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I emailed the humane society and asked them why their website says they take in abandoned animals but won't take this cat, but have not heard back. I left the front door to the porch open lastnight and he came in and stayed for about 15 min. then left. I'm thinking maybe I can hide behind the door and then close it when he comes in or should I just continue to leave it open until he feels comfortable enough to stay?

BenMax
September 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Good for you Cathy1 - you are a citizen that will not take this lightly! They will hopefully address you - if not - keep PUSHING!

chico2
September 17th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Cathy,I am not sure,but I think I would close the door if I had the chance and see how he reacts,he might go in to a frenzy,but he might also be grateful to be safe and go to sleep:fingerscrafter all,he did belong to someone at one time,even though they were morons.

14+kitties
September 17th, 2008, 11:31 PM
The question is do you think once he is inside you can catch him? Ideally he should be taken to the vet to be checked for diseases before being let loose in your porch. He may be carrying something you don't want to chance your own pets catching.
My suggestion would be to try to live trap him and take him to the vet to be checked. You can leave him in the trap for that and take a carrier along to transfer him into once the checkup is done. Then take him to the porch and release him. Again, this is just my suggestion.
If you try to put him into the porch and close the door be aware that cats are likely to panic at the slightest noise, movement, etc. If he catches the door closing out of the corner of his eye he will bolt. That will make it doubly hard to catch him later. Let him get comfortable with coming and going for a few days and then try closing the door.

chico2
September 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Great advice from our no 1 kitty-momma:thumbs up

Cathy1
September 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM
The humane society never got back to me so I called and the girl on the phone told me she would get someone to phone back because she was only a volunteer and couldn't answer my questions. I tried hiding in the porch for 4 hrs. lastnight but all that showed up was a skunk so the door was shut very fast. I don't know if he will panic in the porch or not. I can sit on the step and he will sit about 5-6 feet away, I talk to him and he meows back then starts purring but will not come close to me yet. I am getting a live trap today, hopefully I can catch him.

badger
September 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I agree with 14+ up to the point where you let him come and go. I say trap him, vet him, and then shut him in immediately. If you leave food out, with the door open, you risk attracting other strays and assorted critters (skunk explosion!) and it really doesn't get you any further along.
If the porch is all windows, I'd cover some of them so he doesn't feel so exposed and if you have a cat crate - or any box will do - put something soft inside and cover it partially so he'll have a little cave to retreat to. Then you can start re-socializing him. He'll soon figure out that he's landed in heaven.
JMO.

14+kitties
September 18th, 2008, 10:47 AM
LOL badger! I just reread my posting and figured out why you thought I meant release him outside. What I meant was after being vetted release him INTO the porch, not back outside.

The second part of my posting was for if she decided not to try to trap him and take him to the vet but went with the trying to lure him into the porch idea. The "coming and going" comment was to let him get used to being able to do that. I felt he would be more comfortable that way. You are right. I guess my posting was a little confusing. :shrug: Sorry.

My #1 suggestion still stands. Trap and take him to the vet. The second is one she could fall back on if the first failed.

badger
September 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Sorry, missed the finer points of your argument :p.
The old closing the door trick takes sooo long; you're nervous, the cat's nervous, you screw it up and he disappears for a couple of days, etc. If it's not a feral - and he clearly isn't - might as well cut to the chase. Again, jmo :).

Jim Hall
September 18th, 2008, 11:34 AM
yeah well weloome to the cat world i have two abandoned cats i have been feeding and all the recues say they cant help except to neuter them

The only place that will take them is the city pound where they will be given the big shot i am relly fed up with these *rescue" ORGS THAT SAY OH MY WE ARE FULL OK SO I WILL WATCH THESE TWO ABANDONED CATS TRY TO SURVIVE A WINTER IN NWE JERSEY SHHEESH :wall:

BenMax
September 18th, 2008, 12:29 PM
The only place that will take them is the city pound where they will be given the big shot i am relly fed up with these *rescue" ORGS THAT SAY OH MY WE ARE FULL OK SO I WILL WATCH THESE TWO ABANDONED CATS TRY TO SURVIVE A WINTER IN NWE JERSEY SHHEESH :wall:

Jim Hall you are trending on very dangerous grounds here. I always say not to cast stones if you never walked the walk or talked the talk. I am curious as to whether or not you ever volunteered for a rescue or shelter. If not, you'd be eating them words of yours.....

And if you do then you should know better.

Jim Hall
September 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM
i voluteer for two resue groups
have donated and raised money have claened liiteerboxes have pimped kitties have sat at a table outside in the winter beggong for money have traspped nuetered and relased a dozen cats ovwr the last 2 years on my own dime hvae spent all the nov and dec weekend photographing for here kitty kitty to raise mpney

Frenchy
September 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I know that the cat rescues here always say they are full , because they really are ! :sad:

Just as an example , I have friends in a big dog rescue here , they all had to stop taking dogs in , in August so the volunteers could rest , they were all gettin burned out ! And I know how true it is , to find ourself in this position.

BenMax
September 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM
i voluteer for two resue groups
have donated and raised money have claened liiteerboxes have pimped kitties have sat at a table outside in the winter beggong for money have traspped nuetered and relased a dozen cats ovwr the last 2 years on my own dime hvae spent all the nov and dec weekend photographing for here kitty kitty to raise mpney

Then seriously - you should know better than to make that statement. I understand the frustration and if the rescues do offer to sterilize than I dare say that they are doing something rather than nothing.

BenMax
September 18th, 2008, 12:44 PM
By the way Jim Hall - I am not picking on you, however I cannot let that statement go without it being backed up accordingly.

Jim Hall
September 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM
i am saying i worked my butt off for you now its your turn im not trying to get rid of ferals theses are extremly friendly cats that want to come inside desperatly and because they are not kittens no one wants to know as far as nuerting i have a high school; frined who is a vet and will do them at cost im am just looking for a little quid pro qou here and not getting it

Cathy1
September 18th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I just received an email from the humane society and they didn't like me posting their email here. It doesn't matter to me whether they like it or not their websites states they take in abandoned animals but tell me something different. I have given food and cash donations to them but I'm not doing it anymore. I am going to start giving to the private rescues instead.

Jim Hall
September 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM
awww if they dont like you posting an e mail why did they send it sounds like they are just playing games good luck

BenMax
September 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I just received an email from the humane society and they didn't like me posting their email here. It doesn't matter to me whether they like it or not their websites states they take in abandoned animals but tell me something different. I have given food and cash donations to them but I'm not doing it anymore. I am going to start giving to the private rescues instead.

You know Cathy1 - you do what you have to do. Just the fact that you are taking action may make them step up to the plate. If enough people voice their opinions then maybe they will change their policy.

I am certain that they do good - but it appears that they can do better.

badger
September 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
So - um - how did they know you'd posted their email here? I know some rescues cruise the board (I am one) but it always surprises me.
So if you're reading this, OSPCA, we know you're run ragged, but it's time strays got the same amount of attention as surrendered pets. Most strays are pets too, the only difference being that their owners couldn't be bothered to look for them, looked but couldn't find them, or flat-out abandoned them. Rights for strays!!

BenMax
September 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM
So - um - how did they know you'd posted their email here? I know some rescues cruise the board (I am one) but it always surprises me.
So if you're reading this, OSPCA, we know you're run ragged, but it's time strays got the same amount of attention as surrendered pets. Most strays are pets too, the only difference being that their owners couldn't be bothered to look for them, looked but couldn't find them, or flat-out abandoned them. Rights for strays!!

Same here! We are watching.......

Cathy1
September 18th, 2008, 02:28 PM
They told me they read my thread here so maybe someone told them about it or they are a member.

BenMax
September 18th, 2008, 02:39 PM
They told me they read my thread here so maybe someone told them about it or they are a member.

More than likely a member or volunteer surfing. It is pretty much normal. Don't worry Cathy1 - you have done nothing wrong.

NoahGrey
September 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM

While I know Oxford County does not take in strays, (which upsets me to the core..I actually don't know what they/where their thinking is and doing.

The majority of OSPCA..branches/affiliates take in strays before owner surrender....expecially if they are getting low in cage space.

At the shelter that I work for, when we are almost out of cages...we tell people that we need the cages for the strays.

I guess what I am trying to say is...most spcas..take strays first..then owner surrender.

BTW. Cathy1...good for you on writing a letter.

ACO22

badger
September 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Good to know, thanks for the reassurance. Looks like Oxford County is on the wrong page. I'm not sure what the policy is here in Montreal but I know they get gazillions of surrenders. At one point, they posted a warning near the front door, advising people not to give their pets to strangers solliciting outside. I can only imagine what these people planned to do with them, sell them to labs? The human species, I swear....

NoahGrey
September 18th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Good to know, thanks for the reassurance..

No Prob

Looks like Oxford County is on the wrong page.

I agree. Considering they are a Branch. I am shocked. One of the differences between a branch and affliate is that Branches..have to go by the OSPCA (head office) policies/procudures etc.

Wherea's an affliate pays a yearly fee to the OSPCA to be assoicated with them. By doing this..this gives them the status, right to use Humane Society/SPCA behind their name. Most Affliates take the same policies that the OSPCA stands by. However, because Affilates are not "owned" by OSPCA, like the branches are. Affilates can get away and do stuff differently...like procudures and yes sometimes policies.

ACO22

Cathy1
September 19th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Another rescue contacted me and said they are filled up and not to call animal control because they will put him down, last year alone they killed 300 cats. She said she might be able to find someone that will take him as an outdoor cat, I don't like that idea. My husband said if she can find someone to take him he would pay to have him vaccinated and fixed.:thumbs up
Maybe an inncentive to find him a home, atleast I'm hoping.:pray:
He won't go near the trap I have out for him, I guess I'll have to wait and let him get used to it being there.

Jim Hall
September 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM
it takes a while for them to get used to a trap but it usually happens eventually

14+kitties
September 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Cathy1 - what do you have in the trap as incentive for him to go in? Tuna, sardines, cat nip are all good attractors. Make sure they are at the back of the trap so the kitty has to go past the trip plate to get to them. Ideally you can put them under the trip plate.
You can also disguise the trap with branches, a blanket, newspapers; anything that will make him think it is safe to go in. A trick I have used is to line the inside of the trap with cardboard, making sure not to cover the trip plate so it will release when the cat goes in.
You can also try putting food at the edge of the trap without having it actually set and then over the next few days moving the food slowly back, still without setting the actual trip. When the cat feels comfortable with going in the trap to eat then you can set it. Normally does not take more than three or four days. He won't suspect anything unusual and will go in willingly.

chico2
September 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Kathy,it's great you are willing to have him vaccinated and neutered,that certainly would make him more adoptable:thumbs upor even to be put in a fosterhome.
I am glad you turned down the"outdoor"idea and surprised a shelter would offer that as a solution:shrug:
You and hubby are doing a great thing:thumbs up

Cathy1
September 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I used Tuna but I do have sardines and I will disguise the trap tonight and see what happens. Thank you.

14+kitties
September 19th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Don't worry if he doesn't go in the first little while. It is something new that wasn't there before. It may take some time to get used to it, as Jim says.

Cathy1
October 7th, 2008, 04:34 PM
The cat would not go near the trap but I did catch the neighbors cat twice and they got upset and called animal control. I have been in contact with animal control and showed them a picture of the cat, told them that if they can get him that I would like to have him so I can get him fixed and try to find him a home and they said that if he is fixed that they know an older couple that would be interested in him. As soon as they catch him they are going to call me and let me know so I can get an appointment set up at the vet,

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I would think if the cat won't go near the trap he has been caught before. Too bad. :sad: It's strange the neighbours cat went in twice. Normally once caught, twice shy. But he isn't feral. Guess that's the difference.

Why did your neighbours call Animal Control? They seriously can't be upset because you have a trap set to catch a cat? They should be grateful you are trying. This cat may have diseases that can be passed on to their cat.

That's great AC may have a spot for him. :fingerscr they can catch him. Keep up the great work!!!!

Cathy1
October 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM
The neighbours don't care about diseases. They say "There are more animals
out there".Their husky and a cat died last year and they went out and got 3 cats. They see the vet to get their animals fixed and never go back. There dog was doing alot of coughing and vomiting outside, I went and told them and they said they were going to take him to the vet the next day but he died that night.:sad:

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Nice! :loser:s Maybe they need to be reported themselves. :frustrated:

Love4himies
October 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM
The cat would not go near the trap but I did catch the neighbors cat twice and they got upset and called animal control. I have been in contact with animal control and showed them a picture of the cat, told them that if they can get him that I would like to have him so I can get him fixed and try to find him a home and they said that if he is fixed that they know an older couple that would be interested in him. As soon as they catch him they are going to call me and let me know so I can get an appointment set up at the vet,

Good luck with the trapping :fingerscr :goodvibes: :pray: