Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Playing and fighting.

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I have a question for those of you here who have had cats much longer than I.

Lately, I've noticed Czarina likes to chase after Maks. When she does this she'll chase him, and tap him on the butt. Maks usually tries to get away from her, but yesterday I noticed he was standing his ground with her.

They swatted at each other for a bit, and then I clapped my hands and they separated. But a few seconds later Czari was trying to chase him again.

Now, for the last 5 days or so, I've been having to give Maks anti-biotics for his swollen lip, so in the morning when I open the kitchen screen, he comes in with me. I give Czari her pill, then I give Maks his medicine. This morning, he walked in, with no growling or anything from Czari, and she didn't really swat or anything at him. I gave them both their stuff and Maks hopped back down the counter.

Here's my confusion. Maks likes to rub face to face with the others, and Czari for the first time allowed him (first time she's allowed any of them) to rub her face for a few seconds. She seemed okay with it, then they started sort of, what looked like playing. They swatted, playfully and even rolled around for a bit. But after a few seconds, I noticed Czari might have started getting a little hyper and it looked like it was turning into a fight.

My theory is maybe Czari is trying to play, but she's not quite sure how to separate playing and fighting. She's changed a lot since I brought her in, and it seems, to me at least, she's learning by observing the others.

She sits in line for her treats. She comes upstairs in the morning and hangs out with me sometimes while I'm getting ready, like the others. She's venturing into the bathroom, and exploring that area. She's climbing the counter and the cabinets. Also, she's picking up on playing with toys. All this I think she's done because she's seen the others. She even using the litter box under the stairs too.

So from what I've described and from your experience integrating cats into your homes, does it look like she might be opening herself up to playing with others?

Love4himies
September 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Yes, she is DEFINITELY PLAYING, not aggressive, if it was aggressive, it would be oh so noisy and there would be fur flying all over when Maks stopped running, lol.

When Jasper and Sweet Pea started playing, Sweet Pea would hiss if Jasper had the upper hand and snicker as Jasper would back off, then she would take the upper hand. So if you hear hisses, they still may be playing, just means the playing is getting rough and one of them wants the other to back down.

Great job, ancientgirl.

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Okay, I think I understand. Vlad and Oksana then do fight sometimes then, because there IS fur flying sometimes and Oksana screeches like a Banshee!

I'll continue to observe them both. Czari is a little bigger than Maks and more "wordly" so I don't want him to get hurt.

Thanks L4H.:D

Jim Hall
September 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
yup thats all play is one or the other gets too rough they will run and hide no fur no blood no foul

how did maks get a swollen lip?

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2008, 11:31 AM
how did maks get a swollen lip?

I don't know. :shrug: I noticed it a week ago Saturday night. It was really swollen for a few days. I wondered if it might have been a scratch, but I saw no puncture. I think he might have just hit himself against something, but I'm giving him anti-biotics in case it might be something else. Since he's got a history of skin issues I want to be sure it's not something else.

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I forgot to add, when I did let Maks out of the kitchen, his little tail was all puffy. Did that mean he was trying to show her he wasn't going to back down?

Love4himies
September 16th, 2008, 12:27 PM
When I say fur is flying, I mean it looks like a cat was skinned alive. Sweet Pea and Jasper always leave some fur behind, I don't think it can be avoided because of their claws.

Sweet Pea's fur will fluff automatically when one of the cats surprise her or she sees a cat out of the corner of her eye and not sure who it is, then settles when she figures out who it is :laughing: She is probably thinking it may be the evil Puddles :evil:

Love4himies
September 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Vlad and Oksana then do fight sometimes then, because there IS fur flying sometimes and Oksana screeches like a Banshee!

Vlad is so much bigger and stronger so he may play a little rough with tiny Oksana.

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I try to keep their claws cut, but yeah it's inevitable there is some fur behind.

Vlad does play a bit more rough, not to mention I think he just thinks Oksana should play with him when he wants, but he doesn't understand Little Miss is her own kitty :laughing:

Thanks for your input. There's so much about their behavior I'm still unsure about even now. And since the situation with Czari is so different than the others, sometimes I'm clueless of how I should see a certain behavior, if I should see it as aggressive or passive. It's all just a work in progress I think.

krdahmer
September 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM
:thumbs upThat definitely sounds like she's starting to play, and she probably picked Maks cause he's so sweet. I just love it when they puff their tails out to look tough... it's too cute! I just listen/watch for the really snarly/growly/hissing type fights when it seems to get out of hand then spray. Most fights are just good old cat wrestling, it's good exersise and helps them work out minor issues... like who gets to sleep where or get their treats first! :rolleyes::laughing:

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
:thumbs upThat definitely sounds like she's starting to play, and she probably picked Maks cause he's so sweet.

That makes sense. Vlad is bigger than her. Oksana is pretty much to herself. Kiska is a little firecracker, so Maks would be the likely candidate. He's the least threatening of all of them. I'd love to see her befriend him, since I'd like to see her be more social.

phoozles
September 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I agree with the others - definitely sounds like play.. Another way to identify if it's playing or fighting (aside from the god awful screeching and chunks of fur flying) is to see if one of them is running and hiding to be by him/herself after the scuffle. If they were just playing, they usually stick around.

Jake and Alley very occasionally play rough enough that one of them screeches a bit, but they usually break it up on their own right after that. Ethel is relentless and won't stop until she's got her prey cornered.. :frustrated:

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
He does sometimes try to hide when she's chasing him, but as of late he's been standing up for himself a little more. I'm glad because I hate to see any of them being bullies towards each other.

Jim Hall
September 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM
lol Du did the same with manda now she swats her and manda stops

onster
September 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I agree with all that everyone has said :thumbs up

I have finally begun to relax more with my guys and u know what I find? If I just let them play wrestle/show the other one who's boss :evil: (i have to look away sometimes especially when bunduk lets out his lil squeels :rolleyes: *drama queen*) they get it out of their systems/sort out whatever was between them and then the next minute Bunduk is curled up next to Onnie who's giving him a "facial" . Big bro Onnie just doesnt understand why these youngsters dont clean behind their ears :lovestruck::laughing:

However when I keep making them stop (and they do listen) they just keep going at eachother and I seem to mess up their relationship for a while. They need to work things out themselves sometimes...that's what Anita at catnap told me.

I know its hard when u have one that is smaller/weaker than the others. I still think of Bunduk as the baby and he's just so much smaller/fragile that Onnie. But you will know when they are REALLY fighting - think cat fight u may have heard in the streets or something. I mean it wont be little squeels/ whimpers (bunduk is the king of that) but downright screams.

onster
September 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
oh and great job with czarina!!

sounds like she's settled in :D :highfive:

chico2
September 16th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I've said it before,but,you have done wonders with Czarina,you should be proud,you saved her little life from the dangers outside and I think she's finally beginning to see what being loved and cared for is all about.:thumbs up
Vinnie and Rocky wrestle every morning while I am getting their breakfast,white fur is flying:laughing:but as soon as Rocky gets a little too feisty I stop them,don't want Vinnie to get hurt.

14+kitties
September 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
They need to work things out themselves sometimes EXACTLY!!! I don't step in unless it looks like one is really being hurt. Cats socialize by playing/fighting. Just like kids. You gotta let them do it sometimes. :shrug:

onster
September 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM
but its soooo hard sometimes 14+ :sad: lol...but ya i think I only realized they would be ok if I let them sort it out alone when I boarded them. They didnt hurt eachother over the summer/seemed to have bonded more and they were left to fight/play with eachother.

I think my constant "ONNie NO!" (cuz bunduk squeeled) "Onnnnieeeee" *onster makes a loud noise* was really putting my poor misunderstood Onnie down. Half the time if u really pay attention its Bunduk that starts it and he does need to be sat on to learn his place :laughing: I think thats why Onnie didnt curl up on my lap/seek my attention as much (big kid always gets blamed) :o but now he loves me :lovestruck:

so there ya go ancient...let them fight it out and u reap the rewards of more cuddle time :D

14+kitties
September 16th, 2008, 04:34 PM
:) That's ok onster. I raised my kids the same way. Let them work it out. I never stepped in unless the hitting started, which was very rarely, if ever. It's amazing but it works.

ancientgirl
September 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I have to learn to let them work things out, I know that's something I need to let go a bit on.

I am just afraid playing will go too far when I'm not home, if I don't let them know what not to do when I'm here. Did that make sense?

When Oksana tries to get Vlad to leave her alone, OMG it sounds terrifying! I feel sometimes like if I don't do something he'll think it's okay to be like that with her. They probably do worse to each other while I'm at work though.:shrug:

Chico, I let them work it out to a degree too, but it seems there's always one fighting with a smaller one or less strong one and I don't want them to get hurt. Vlad is bigger than Oksana, Oksana is bigger than Kiska, Maks is smaller than Czarina. LOL, about the only two who don't mess with each other are Czarina and Kiska. Kiska has let it be known to keep away.

Gah! These kitties should come with a manual!:cat: