Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is This a Cormorant?

Smiley14
September 15th, 2008, 03:21 AM
These pics were taken pretty far away on 300mm, so not very clear, but was wondering if anyone recognized what kind of bird it is? Hazel thought maybe a Cormorant?

Thanks! :)

Smiley14
September 15th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Some more as it was taking off...

Smiley14
September 15th, 2008, 03:23 AM
A few more...

badger
September 15th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Looks more like a loon to me.

happycats
September 15th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Yes, it sure looks like one to me!

Here is a pic of one, off the net.

Melinda
September 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM
yes it is a cormorant, we have hundreds of them around the st lawrence

chico2
September 15th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Yes,I'd say Cormorant too,nice pics:thumbs up

Love4himies
September 15th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I would say a cormorant too, the bill has that distinguishing tip.

bendyfoot
September 15th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Yep, definitely.

Smiley14
September 15th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys!!!!

Stacer
September 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Even though you already know...yup I agree, it's a cormorant!

If you scroll through the pictures reall fast, it looks like the cormorant is flying :D

hazelrunpack
September 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Wow, Smiley! You got some really good shots there!!! I love that second last picture where the wing tip is just kissing the surface of the water.

Smiley14
September 15th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Wow, Smiley! You got some really good shots there!!! I love that second last picture where the wing tip is just kissing the surface of the water.

Thanks Hazel! I'm surprised any of them turned out at all since I was on 300mm without a tripod and on a moving boat! LOL!

I've never heard of a Cormorant before, so I learned something new! Cool! :)

hazelrunpack
September 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
We have them in WI, but I saw my first one on a little lake in MN. I was so excited, pointing it out to all the locals! They looked at me like I was a nut case.

Turns out they're a dime a dozen in MN and the locals hate 'em cuz they're eating all the fish out of the lakes. :o

But I thought it was cool! :D And, of course, being a nut case, I didn't really mind if they thought I was :crazy:!

:laughing:

Melinda
September 16th, 2008, 07:14 AM
they are considered a pest here also, but I do love watching them, they first came over on the frieght ships and made themselves right at home *L* you'll see them in flocks of 50 or more just floating on the st. lawrence river.

chico2
September 16th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Melinda,that's true,however to me,the only pests are the humans who decide some birds are pests,every animal has a right to share this earth with us.

Melinda
September 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
you got it chico, a pet peeve of mine??? that bird seed that is "squirrel" proof because it has hot chili in it.........what the heck is wrong with feeding the squirrels??? I put up tons of extra feeders so they all (squirrels, chipmunks, birds and raccoons) get lots....

and I still take pics of cormorants....to me they are gorgeous graceful birds

chico2
September 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Melinda I agree,whoever comes to my feeders is welcome to it.:thumbs up
We get Huge bags of corn-on-the cob+peanuts for the Squirrels and the birds+birdseeds,I'ts getting a little expensive,but it's ok,we love it:thumbs up

Melinda
September 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
so do I chico, our grocery store saves me apples going bad, different types of lettuce and fruits for the wild critters, and I'm the first they call to see if I want their displays of autumn when they're finished with them, of course I DO!!! its dried corn stalks with lots of nummy ears of corn on them *L* I'm known as that "crazy" lady, and I wear the name proudly!!!!! *L*...........or at least I do until hubby realizes just how much of our grocery bill goes to my critters...........so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh;)

Smiley14
September 16th, 2008, 06:29 PM
How funny that they're considered pests and it's the first one I've seen! :laughing: Well, regardless, I thought it was beautiful. And big! :eek:

chico2
September 17th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Melinda,we are retired and we do not spend money on movies,restaurants(well,sometimes we eat out) and other"entertainment",we have our entertainment right here:laughing:

Smiley,I've never seen one either,but somewhere in a park in the Toronto area,they have been shot on a regular basis,since they destroy the trees with their poop,too bad birds don't go to the bathroom:sad:

Lise
September 18th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Around here people get upset about the Canada and snow geese resting overnight during migrations,I love seeing them and hearing them.There's something so wonderful hearing them going over especially when they're low enough you can actually hear their wings beating.We're in the country if you don't want animals on your lawn move to the city!!

chico2
September 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Lise,I live not to far from Lake Ontario and every year,they try to get rid of the geese,shipping them off in trucks,where 50% die:sad:and other methods.
I am NOT religious but what gives any human the right to eliminate any other living creatures,we are all Gods creatures,right??and we have to share this earth with animals,whether some people like it or not.
Here are some pics of a few goslings and their parents,down by the lake..

want4rain
September 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
on a lighter note, i worked for a company here who spent thousands of dollars trying to humanely deter canadian geese from nesting in the area. they had a little collie who would come out and herd the geese before nesting season while they were looking for a place to nest. worked pretty well honestly!! where we usually had several dozen pair of nesting geese, that year we only had 4 pair. of course the complex doted over the 4 remaining families. we couldnt eat in the court yard cause one pair decided to nest in one of the planters.... so management actually built them a ramp....

that was a happy collie!!!

-ashley

erykah1310
September 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Cormorants :wall:
The problems that arise from importing non native speicies...
Backing out of thread now. My views go against the main grain here :o

Pretty pics though:o

hazelrunpack
September 18th, 2008, 09:29 PM
As far as I know, cormorants are native, erykah :shrug:

chico2
September 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Yes,definitely native in the US,according to my bird-book the Double Crested Cormorant is native to Canada,or they are now..
W4R,the Collie idea is a good one,there are humane ways to limit the Canada Geese population,shipping them away in trucks,just seems stupid,they'll just fly right back:loser:

erykah1310
September 19th, 2008, 05:08 PM
One site says yes and the next says they are origionally from some tropical place...

Either way, there are TONS of these birds and the carnage they leave behind in lakes is crazy.
Next time we head out on the lake I'll take a picture of the rock that they all hang out on and around. The dead fish floating around them is crazy. I'll take a picture of the beauty of this eating/wasting of fish. Apparently they dont like alot of speicies of fish but still kill them :shrug:

I'm sure that bird watchers and bird lovers admire them, they are pretty, but they are posing a problem.