Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

small dog breed , does kibble size matters ?

Frenchy
September 14th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Yes , does size really matters ? :D

I have a coworker that has 2 Maltese dogs , he's been feeding Hill's Prescription diet T/D (small bites) or course , buying his food at the vet , he thought this was good food. He brought me the ingredients label : rice,corn,chicken by-product .... so I explained to him what those ingredients were and he's asked me to find something better ... do these smaller dogs need smaller size kibble ? I don't know what to suggest to him , there's so many better brands but would have to be available in his area (I think Chambly , Québec)

help !

Chaser
September 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Wellness just came out with a new small breed food that I've recently started to see in stores:

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_dry_super5mix_small_adult_health.html

I find Wellness to be one of the easier foods to find (though not sure about Quebec!)

erykah1310
September 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
as long as the kibble isnt bigger than their head I really dont think that would matter much. I mean there are many small dogs ( ie chi's ) who are managing to eat raw diets not ground up as it is so much better for their teeth in the long run.

perhaps if the dogs were gulpers then I would be concerned about them not chewing it properly, but most small dogs I have seen eat have taken their sweet time doing so.

Frenchy
September 14th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I find Wellness to be one of the easier foods to find (though not sure about Quebec!)

I just checked it out and there's none close to where he lives. :frustrated: Unless you live near Montreal , it's hard to get premium food here.

Winston
September 14th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hey Frenchy what about Orijen? its a great food! lots of people using it! and it may help with telling the person there is no grain, no gluten, no byproducts and that it is 75% meat 25% fruits & veggies? heres the link to the store locator? no idea where you are vs the stores?

Cindy

Oh and the kibble is not large so it wont matter!

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/QuebecStoreListing.aspx

jealma
September 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I have a shih tzu and I feed her puppy Orijen and have every intention to feed her orijen for small breeds when she is done with the puppy stuff. It's great food and I haven't had any issues with it so far.

Well wait, her poop really smells,, guess most poop does :-)

Frenchy
September 14th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks Winston , I will ask him if he would be willing to drive to Ste-Julie because they seem to carry some of those brands. If not I think I will just refer him to Kirkland food :shrug:

Winston
September 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I dont know much about the ingrediants in Kirkland?? is it good stuff?

Frenchy
September 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I dont know much about the ingrediants in Kirkland?? is it good stuff?

At least there's no corn or by product ... I don't have the bag near me but it's much better than vet's food ! I feed the chicken formula and the dogs are doing great on it.

There's a lack of store carrying the good brands over here. Not everyone is ok with driving 30-45 minutes to buy dog food.

Winston
September 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I hear ya! I bought food today for everyone and it cost me $125.00!! and I still have a case of cat food ordered to pick up Tuesday another $41.00!!

I said today I am almost spending as much on them as I do a week of groceries! :laughing:

Frenchy
September 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I hear ya! I bought food today for everyone and it cost me $125.00!! and I still have a case of cat food ordered to pick up Tuesday another $41.00!!

I said today I am almost spending as much on them as I do a week of groceries! :laughing:

That is why I love the Kirkland food , it's easy for me to get , it did went up from 20.99 to 27.99 within a few weeks :frustrated: but it still very cheap versus the other ones. I'm feeding 18.5 cups of kibble a day now :eek: :D (and that's only the dogs)

Winston
September 14th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah I bought the 40lb bag and that was 70.00 and an 8lb bag of cat food which was 28.00 and then a few cans to hold me iver till the case comes in and thats it! it does last at least 6 weeks for me so its not too bad!

Are you an executive member at costco?

Frenchy
September 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Are you an executive member at costco?

Nope , regular member.

Winston
September 14th, 2008, 07:43 PM
if you join as an executive member than you get a cheque at the end of the yr for 2% of your sales! it costs 100 though so you have to make sure its worth it! we shop there all the time and it pays for the membership !

Frenchy
September 14th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I will look into it :thumbs up

Winston
September 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM
oh and you can get the American Express Costco card and they give you 2% back as well. its works good as long as you charge it and then pay it off!

gotta run for a bit be back later! laundry is calling!

Frenchy
September 14th, 2008, 07:49 PM
oh and you can get the American Express Costco card

ohhhh yes I have that one. :o

kathryn
September 14th, 2008, 08:07 PM
http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1488

What about that?? I just know because I saw it on the shelf before. Otherwise I know nothing about dogs :D Except they poop too much.