Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone ever have to shave your cat?

Kahne9Lover
September 14th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Quick background... Sage age 6, adopted from Humane League 5 yrs ago, had been previously adopted and returned for being too vocal (?) She's my little alarm system, only meows when dish is empty, litter needs scooped, or if the dogs are doing something wrong (seriously, if Colby starts to chew something, she goes OFF!) Spent her first year with me living in my kitchen, by her choice, only lets you pet her, but you cannot hold her unless she crawls onto you. Still, you can't help but love her.

Anyway, she is getting this fur clumps near her hind where she can't quite get as well as she used to, vet suggests shaving, but she will need sedated by him to do so since she is very unsociable to outsiders. My husband won't pay for this since we just in the past 7 months have: (2) 1300.00 surgeries to fix both of Maya's torn cruchids (Sp? - knees) and 500.00 on Colby (adopted in April, had Lyme - needed antibiotics, and tons of blood work). Sooo...I have trimmed her with kid style scissors (no points) to get the big clumps out, but I cannot get close enough to eliminate them... Any tips on how to shave a cat? Can I use my husband's hair trimmers, or do I need to purchase some type of grooming trimmers? Also, she is NOT declawed and brushing her alone is dangerous unless you are completely covered in leather :laughing:

RUSTYcat
September 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I know that, if it were me, I would not attempt to use any kind of sharp tool...period...out of the question.

A Vet or a pet groomer will have a small, quiet, electric hair trimmer which will do the job just fine. If a "rear end cleanup" is all that's required, I can't see a groomer charging more than $5 for a two minute job....have you asked the Vet what it would cost for one of the techs to do the same?

For heaven's sake, don't even think of any kind of manual razor!

Kahne9Lover
September 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Oh I definately would never use a regular razor, my husband shaves his head, that's what I was thinking of using, his electric trimmer, but a groomer might be a good idea, should I maybe buy some Rescue Remedy beforehand? I have never used it but I have heard good things about it.

badger
September 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I couple of my cats get matts in the same area. I can generally take care of them by teasing them open with my fingers and then removing with a wire brush (used very gently). But the whole operation definitely requires getting up close and personal for an extended period, so if your cat is likely to be overly traumatized (a little short-term stress doesn't hurt, imo), then I would find a groomer. Maybe you could carry some Rescue Remedy with you and give him an occasional blast. RR is a herbal calmant (made by Bach), available at the health food store, it works well for some.
The vet could also give you a tiny dose of tranquilizer (similar to what they used to give cats travelling in airplanes).
Matts do get painful so you can't let it go.

sugarcatmom
September 14th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Anyway, she is getting this fur clumps near her hind where she can't quite get as well as she used to,

I don't have any shaving advice since I've never had to do it, but I'm wondering why Sage isn't able to groom her hind end properly. Is she overweight, by chance? I can't see arthritis being the issue since she isn't all that old. Maybe an injury?

MommaKat
September 14th, 2008, 02:16 PM
The sound of clippers freak out most Cats. I would try cutting out the matted fur while he is eating a can of wet food or favorite treats. Good Luck:thumbs up

t.pettet
September 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Get a tranquilizer from your vet amd give it to her 2 hrs. prior to her appointment with a groomer. Let the groomer know how un-social she is so she can have someone assist and expect to pay about $25 for a thorough brush-out and clipping. You might want to feed her a food with more oils in it and slowly work with her ( brush = treat, brush = treat) letting you do a daily 1 or 2 min. brushout with a cat slicker brush, otherwise this grooming appointment will become a regular ordeal.

Dracko
September 14th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I am so lucky. One of my cats that lived to the ripe old age of 18 used to get matts. One day I thought about shaving parts of her and low and behold she LOVED it. I think she thought she was getting brushed...but that electric razor (kind you use on your head) was really LOUD. She didn't seem to care even though in many ways she was skittish cat. I didn't shave her belly or head, of course but she'd let me shave most everything else.

Goodl luck. I agree with tranquilizing your cat first.