Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

frustration at the dog park

Ben and Ivy
September 13th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Hey everyone,

This isn't so much a problem as a nuisance. I took Ivy to the dog beach today for a little bit of splashing around. She has a terrific time, but I often find her..."crowding" other people. For instance there was a couple sitting on a log that she seem to have a fondness for. She would run off and play with the other dogs for a bit and then if things got too heated she'd run back to them. It's cute the first couple times, but not when she's wet and covered in sand and crawling through their legs. After that couple left she did it to a mother/daughter duo that were there with there dog. The mum didn't mind too much, but the daughter was trying to read and ivy seemed like a bit of a nuisance to her.
Not sure if it's anything to worry about. but it leaves me scratching my head a bit. i'm fine with being that person, but i don't really know the dog park rules and don't want to annoy anyone.

your thoughts would be great,
ben

Chaser
September 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM
IMO, if you don't want dogs to come near you, you shouldn't be at a dog park. But I can be a tad bitchy about some things and this might be one of them....other people may understandably not agree. But I have heard people whining about "Get that dog away from me" at dog parks, and my personal opinion is that if they don't like it, they can leave.

There is a difference though, between a dog that approaches to say hello and a dog that is being rude. If a dog jumps up on strangers, that is just bad manners. I once had a dog do this to me repeatedly at the park, covering me in mud, and the owner actually laughed about how cute it was! I had to push the dog down and tell if "Off!" a number of times, and being in a position where you have to discipline someone elses's dog does not feel good!

If you feel uneasy about Ivy's behaviour, then I think that says that maybe she was a bit too close for comfort to the other people. I'd just practice your recall command and make sure that it is good and solid, so that you can direct her back to you once she says a brief hello. :)

luckypenny
September 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I love it when dogs come to me for some attention :cloud9:. As long as a dog's not jumping up then I agree, if one doesn't want a dog near them, it only makes sense they don't go to a dog park.

BeagleMum
September 13th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I will admit that Spencer is usually the first to jump up on people at the dog park, and he tends to pick the people with white clothes on (who wears white to a dog park anyway?). It also doesn't help that he has an excited pee so he tends to sprinkle as soon as anyone touches him. I always correct him for it though and give them warning before the go near him. Being a 25lb beagle though it's not like he knocks you over or anything. Besides, it's not even half as bad as having a huge poodle running and jamming her nose into you, now that hurts.

We have people at our dog park that show up with their latte's and just want to stand around and talk to all of their snooty friends. Spencer is the type of dog who will bark a lot at the dog park, that is just how he is, he barks when he plays. I get people giving me looks and telling him to shut up but it's ok for their dogs to do what they want. Ugh, dog parks, they seem like more hassle than anything having to deal with the humans.

Ben and Ivy
September 13th, 2008, 10:03 PM
yeah I figured i sort of opened myself up to the recall issue. She doesn't have great recall yet, but it's not that she's jumping up at them; she barely acknowledges there presence. it's more that between their legs is a safe place to take a time out or that they are part of an elaborate obstacle course.

put yes, I agree, better recall would make me much more at ease with it.

MommaKat
September 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
She sounds like a sweet dog :lovestruck:. She's not jumping on them so it's not really a problem but for your own comfort level and for future situations it would be best to practice recall. It's not the easiest lesson for us, My Maggie has selective hearing :rolleyes:

Etown_Chick
September 14th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I've never heard of a doggie beach but it sounds wonderful!
I agree with all of the above - contact with dogs is a risk you take at a dog park. I may look like a bum when I go there, but I'd rather wear my grubs than grumble that I got doggie hair or drool on me.
Recall is very important though, one of those things you have to work at every day. If she doesn't listen at home she sure won't listen when surrounded by the fun of the doggie beach.

BenMax
September 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
IMO, if you don't want dogs to come near you, you shouldn't be at a dog park. But I can be a tad bitchy about some things and this might be one of them....other people may understandably not agree. But I have heard people whining about "Get that dog away from me" at dog parks, and my personal opinion is that if they don't like it, they can leave.

There is a difference though, between a dog that approaches to say hello and a dog that is being rude. If a dog jumps up on strangers, that is just bad manners. I once had a dog do this to me repeatedly at the park, covering me in mud, and the owner actually laughed about how cute it was! I had to push the dog down and tell if "Off!" a number of times, and being in a position where you have to discipline someone elses's dog does not feel good!

If you feel uneasy about Ivy's behaviour, then I think that says that maybe she was a bit too close for comfort to the other people. I'd just practice your recall command and make sure that it is good and solid, so that you can direct her back to you once she says a brief hello. :)

I think this person says it all very well. The point about the recall command is the most valuable information.

kandy
September 16th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Sadly we don't have dog parks at all where I live. :( But if we did, Hazel would probably be the one jumping on people and covering them with mud, slobber and hair. She knows that if someone turns to the side and puts their hand out in a stop motion, they do not want her jumping on them and she respects that - but my problem is that dh likes her jumping on him and he's encouraged it. She's made progress in learning that not everyone wants 120lbs of newfie love forced on them. She goes to work with dh everyday, and while in his shop she is not on a leash. While out and about, I will tighten up her leash if we are going to be close to anyone that she might think looks like they need a good slobbery kiss.

I have to agree with the others though - if you are at a dog park, isn't there a very real possibility that you will actually come into contact with a dog??

TKW
September 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Which dog park in Vancouver is that? Buntzen Lake is where my dog hung out and they separate the dog beach & people beach with fence. If people want to picnic without the company of dogs, they can stay clear of the dog beach. We had a big family picnic there this summer occupying both side of the fence. Only problem was my dog figured out how to open those spring-loaded gate real quick.:D