Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggy Dandruff!?

mollywog
September 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I was brushing Molly today and noticed some flaky dandruff coming off her skin. What can I do to alleviate this? Is there something I should be supplementing her diet with to avoid the dry flaky skin? It wasn't bad but it was visible.
Thanks in advance for any input. :pawprint:

Chaser
September 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Chase gets this too. I find it gets worse if I forget to put an egg in his foord 1-2 times per week. I've also heard that topping their food with a little salmon oil is helpful.

mollywog
September 13th, 2008, 05:17 PM
thanks. I've recently started adding an egg regularly. So I will wait and see if that helps.
any other suggestions?

Stacer
September 13th, 2008, 06:16 PM
After we got our doggy (Skylar :cloud9:) we noticed that her skin and coat was just awful, so we started supplementing her with Omega 3 and 6 oils. Within a month her skin was cleared up and her coat was soft and shiny.

Most good pet supply stores have liquid supplements to add to the food. They really do work.

Pit Bull Love
September 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I do use salmon oil as supplement, but usually more for inflamation issues. I've had quite a few dogs here with dry skin problems and what worked best for me, was changing their food. Even with my cat. I tried her on the Taste Of The Wild and it totally gave her a dry coat. I did supplement her on the salmon oil during the time it took her to finish the bag of it, but I went back to the Solid Gold as she does much better on that. I just find some food just don't work as well for certain animals.

growler~GateKeeper
September 14th, 2008, 12:29 AM
My :rip::dog: also had constant dandruff (as well as being allergic to fleas :rolleyes:) that was alleviated with Omega3 capsules :thumbs up

BenMax
September 15th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Is your dog's weight correct? I had a foster that had extremely flakey skin only to find out that he had hypothyroid.

Gypsyhick
September 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Voodoo gets really dry skin in the spring and autumn - we've added a couple of squirts of fish oil to each meal and it seems to work - we've used Horizon "Advantage Multi-Oil" and Urban Carnivore "Cold Water Fish Oil" with no preference other than price/where I am when I remember we're out!

Voo also eats Orijen kibble and her worst dandruff cleared up when we switched after her adoption was final.

Good luck!

kandy
September 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Most commercial dog food creates an imbalance of Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acids in a dogs system. That translates into the dull coat & flaky skin - although that is not the only thing that can cause those kinds of skin issues. Supplementation of Omega 3 fatty acids use the body's vitamin e to process, so the supplement should contain vitamin e to prevent a deficiency in the long run. Also, fish oil can go rancid quickly - and vitamin e acts as a preservative. Some supplements are made from flaxseed oil, but dogs don't convert the omega 3 in flaxseed oil to the EPA & DHA form that is needed very well, so you are better off using a supplement made from cold water fish (salmon, mackerel, trout). Also, since supplements aren't regulated, the risk of lead or mercury contamination is there. I've read quite a bit about omega 3 supplementation (more as an anti-inflammatory than as a skin supplement) and everything I've read says that you are better off giving your dog fresh sardines a couple of times a week. Sardines are small enough that the risk of mercury or lead poisoning is minimal and they provide a high level of omega 3's.

I do use a salmon oil supplement, and I have tried sardines - but I cannot get fresh ones and the canned ones have way too much salt.

Guinness' mom
September 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I swear by Dr. Maggie's Supplements I buy it at Global Pets....Guinness had terrible Dandruff for a while and shed bad too.....We had to switch his food a few times. We now have him on First Choice Lamb and Rice for Adult dogs and I just add the Dr. Maggie's oil to it daily he is NICE AND SHINY now as well I noticed I don't have to vacumm every day now!!!!!!:dog: