Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neglected dog in my neighborhood

kathryn
September 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I swear my neighbors are all idiots!! GRrrrrr. Well this time it doesn't have to deal with a cat for once! It's a dog. A rottie to be specific.

I have pictures but I wasn't sure if I should post them. I'm holding them as 'evidence' against the people. I called the SPCA and of course they did diddly-poo! The dog is in the exact same conditions and it's been over 2 weeks.

Situation:
No food, no water. Kept outside all day and I think all night. Kept outside in all weather. No proper shelter. The dog hides under a broken table. It's digging a hole under the fence and I'm afraid it's going to get out. It's pretty vicious.

What am I to do? The dog has a massive tumor hanging from it's stomach.

Does anyone here watch Animal Cops? Or shows like that? You ever see the episodes where they find a dog with a giant tumor hanging from it's stomach and living in horrible conditions?? Well those dogs always get taken away by the animal cops!! But this dog is in the same situation and NOTHING was done!

If you think it's a good idea to post pictures then just tell me. You will be shocked at the situation though :sad:

jessi76
September 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM
have you confronted the owners with your concerns?

kathryn
September 12th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I don't even know who lives there. I cut behind their house all the time to cut threw the woods to go to my grandmoms. Probably not the best idea that me, a 16 year old 5 foot 1 girl say anything..if you get what I'm talking about.

It doesn't take much sense to realize the dog is in horrible condition. 9/10 times there are 2 bowls outback, but it seems like they put a scoop of food in there in the morning and sometimes some fresh water and they expect it to last for 24 hours. Sometimes there are no bowls at all.

It's raining right now and I walked past there and the dog was still outside in the rain, but the people were actually home.

jessi76
September 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
my personal opinion is you should tell an adult (your parents, grandparents, dog officer, etc) about what you see on a daily basis and have the adult speak to the family about it. I'm not sure how your area works, but here in Mass, we have dog officers for each town. One call to a dog officer can resolve many issues, ours actually follow up frequently to be sure the animal is safe and secure. the officer will handle the complaint and confront the owners.

kathryn
September 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I showed my mom. We called the SPCA and they did nothing. I sent them an email a little while ago telling them that the dog is still in the same conditions and is going to get out of the yard and someone needs to do something about it.

kandy
September 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM
If the ASPCA won't do anything - there should be an animal control division of your city government - call them. If that doesn't do any good, I'd take those pix to my local newspaper and tell them how none of the authorities are doing anything about this obviously sick and neglected animal. People who aren't doing their jobs absolutely hate publicity highlighting the fact that they aren't doing their job.

kathryn
September 12th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I might as well just post the pictures....

http://a557.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/81/l_35890e15510d418b65901e05cc6bd93c.jpg

http://a309.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/3/l_e576817d9cb462b958cd450dfe5b7efc.jpg

http://a333.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/100/l_c3e4233ff89574b58190d0ed4b6ee674.jpg

Is that bad or what? :frustrated:

kandy
September 12th, 2008, 04:34 PM
That is bad - I bet the poor girl has mammary tumors. :(

I think if you take that photo of her tumor hanging to the local newspaper, or even down to the animal control office or SPCA office - they wouldn't be able to ignore it.

mollywog
September 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM
aww thats sad :( what a life that poor dog has. We have a dog in a similar situation who lives behind us, it breaks my heart... it is chained up outside at all times :( and just barks at anything and everything. But it seems like a lot of people have "outside" dogs up here, and there is no SPCA or animal control- just one bylaw officer who has a ton of other stuff to do (parking tickets etc)
I wish I had some advice for you but I don't... just thought I would comment.

dogcatharmony
September 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM
:sad: wow, that is really really sad. I wish you luck in getting someone to listen to you.

badger
September 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Too sad. Maybe she isn't really vicious, just out of her mind with boredom. Kathryn, I recommend you send the authorities an email every single day, with as many pictures as you can get. Hell, send some to the mayor, telling him his animal control people are not doing their jobs.
Wouldn't it be ironic if they finally turned up and said there's nothing they can do, the dog is fed (irregularly), has shelter (of a kind) and is not being beaten. Wash their hands of the whole situation.
Alternatively, you could find someone to kidnap her....

kandy
September 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Too sad. Maybe she isn't really vicious, just out of her mind with boredom.

Or pain. :frustrated:

BeagleMum
September 12th, 2008, 05:42 PM
OMG, the poor thing. I don't even know what to do, I know here (well in Quebec anyway) the officials do nothing, it just makes you sick. I watch aminal cops all the time, you would think they would seize this poor dog.

kathryn
September 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
The SPCA hasn't responded to my email yet.... I tried calling the ACO's number but it's disconnected! He was the guy who picked up that Fat Cat from the news and he probably had too many calls and changed his number. That sucks for me though cause I dunno his new number! All the shelters are closed now so I just left a message at the one shelter that will probably call me back fastest.

krdahmer
September 12th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hell, send some to the mayor, telling him his animal control people are not doing their jobs.

Now that is how to get things done... go to the top and let them know the next step is to the paper saying that they stood by and did nothing while this dog is suffering. Trust me elected officials care about how they play out in the media!

:pray: for that poor girl!

Diamondsmum
September 12th, 2008, 06:01 PM
ohhhhhh my.... That is sooo sad :pray::pray: for the girl..

Chaser
September 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Poor puppy.....:sad:

I agree - go as high up as you can and threaten to go to the media. Get your parents to help as well so people will take you seriously.

Please keep us updated....:pray:

kathryn
September 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM
The ACO is a nice and useful guy. He's not in on weekends though. Going to just have to wait until Monday to get anything done. The SPCA seems to have no authority over anything :confused: which sort of defeats the point of having them.

So you guys think that's a mammary tumor? If the dog had been to the vet, would it have been removed? Or does that dog look like it's never been to a vet?

It's a 'guard dog' btw....

Chaser
September 13th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Sorry, I don't know anything about mammary tumours :sad: But I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason the dog is so angry is a combination of pain and hunger!

Is there anyway at all you can sneak some food and water through that fence?????

kathryn
September 13th, 2008, 02:08 PM
She/He needs water more then anything. I mean, it's like they put the food and water out once a day in the morning (if they remember) and expect that to hold the dog over all day.

I'm going to get into contact with Jim. My vet tech friend Tara is personal friends with him. If the shelter I called doesn't call me back, I will just ask her for his #. Best I can do right now. The dog will probably bite my if I try to pass any water under the fence =/

BrightEyes
September 17th, 2008, 02:14 AM
That poor dog :sad: Could you get a can of dog food and take the lid off, loosen it up in the can and then hold your hand and the can high up over the fence and let the food slide out? I say *can* of dog food as at least it would have some moisture in it since you can't get water over to it. Just a thought.

And btw, any updates?

kathryn
September 17th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Nope, sorry. I've been really busy doing other things and haven't been down that way to check. There are lots of people doing landscaping and remodeling my neighborhood, so maybe someone else noticed. I doubt it though. I did contact the SPCA threw their online form and it was processed but I never heard anything else. I never got the ACO's number. I'm leaving for Georgia in less then 24 hours. I'll see what I can do before then, but I've got alot on my mind.

It would help if I knew who lived in the house. That way I don't stand there and take pictures and all of a sudden someone pops out the back door and shoots me or something insane. The house is really trashed as it is so probably some crazy guy living there. There are 2 vehicles parked sort of out front. Both are trashed as well. I'm assuming it's 1 man living in the house, as one is a work vehicle (with a company name on the side!) and the other is a beat up suv so probably his around the town vehicle.

The beat up van went by my house a few days ago when I was outside but I couldn't see what the person looked like. So since I was standing outfront my house he would know where I lived if he caught me messing with the dog. Best I try to get someone else to help me out at this point. I can't have myself getting hurt.

Love4himies
September 17th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Sorry I don't have any additional advice. So sad :sad:

BenMax
September 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM
The SPCA hasn't responded to my email yet.... I tried calling the ACO's number but it's disconnected! He was the guy who picked up that Fat Cat from the news and he probably had too many calls and changed his number. That sucks for me though cause I dunno his new number! All the shelters are closed now so I just left a message at the one shelter that will probably call me back fastest.

PLEASE READ THIS KATHRYN:

Kathryn, don't wait for an e-mail confirmation. Go to the SPCA and demand to see the director. Bring your pictures with you or any evidence that you have. Demand for answers and ask for the complaint file number. Sometimes you have to really push to get answers. Also, ask them this question: 'By law, if an animal requires medical attention, do you have the mandate to seize?' I am hoping that in your state they say yes. If so, then challenge them as to why they have not acted on the following. Also, the basic necessities is food, water and shelter. If this is not provided, all the SPCA can do is give them a warning to comply. They should then follow up. Also, in regards to medical situations, they also have an option depending on the medical emergency: either they give them a warning to comply or actually seize the dog.

This is your only hope. If they do nothing, then you go to the media.

Good luck Kathryn and thank you for being her angel.

Luvmypitgirls
September 17th, 2008, 09:30 AM
PLEASE READ THIS KATHRYN:

Kathryn, don't wait for an e-mail confirmation. Go to the SPCA and demand to see the director. Bring your pictures with you or any evidence that you have. Demand for answers and ask for the complaint file number. Sometimes you have to really push to get answers. Also, ask them this question: 'By law, if an animal requires medical attention, do you have the mandate to seize?' I am hoping that in your state they say yes. If so, then challenge them as to why they have not acted on the following. Also, the basic necessities is food, water and shelter. If this is not provided, all the SPCA can do is give them a warning to comply. They should then follow up. Also, in regards to medical situations, they also have an option depending on the medical emergency: either they give them a warning to comply or actually seize the dog.

This is your only hope. If they do nothing, then you go to the media.

Good luck Kathryn and thank you for being her angel.

Ditto!
That dog needs someone to be her hero, I say go to the SPCA with your photos, tell them what you have seen and demand action is taken immediately, since you have reported it before and nothing has been done. Tell them that if they don't act immediately, you will take it to the media.
That dog is suffering horribly, and needs medical attention.
I hope her owners burn in hell. Sorry...:o it's just this kind of thing just burns my a$$ big time:mad:...that poor girl:sad:

kathryn
September 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
The NJSPCA office is located in New Brunswick which is over 60 miles from my house. There is no way I could go to there in person.

I'm leaving tomorrow for vacation but I'm really trying to get something done about this dog. It has a miserable life. I'd rather deal with the ACO then the SPCA they have been very confusing and don't seem to be doing anything about it. Poor dog though.... but not much else I can do right now.