Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fawn follows beagle home

madge
September 12th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Got this really cute news story from a friend today. Appears to have been first published by www.deepcreektimes.com:

A fawn followed this beagle home -- right through the doggie door in the Bittinger, MD area. The owner came home to find the visitor had made himself right at home.

This Hit the 6 o'clock news big time.

The end of the story: The local Department of Natural Resources told the beagle owner to put the fawn outside and block the doggie door so he couldn't return. He took the fawn to the edge of the woods where he believes he might have met the dog. Upon return a little later, the fawn was gone. We can only hope he was reunited with his mother!

happycats
September 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
OMG how sweet is that !?? How ironic, beagles were bred to hunt and this sweet one brings the cute deer home :lovestruck: a dog after my own heart !:cloud9:

BeagleMum
September 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
That is so adorable!!!

Love4himies
September 12th, 2008, 02:14 PM
What a sweet story, the fawn looks very comfy with his/her new found friend.

Jim Hall
September 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
i would have kept her

madge
September 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
OMG how sweet is that !?? How ironic, beagles were bred to hunt and this sweet one brings the cute deer home :lovestruck: a dog after my own heart !:cloud9:

Yes, animals keeps showing us that they are able to form the most unexpected of 'friendships' (or perhaps 'companionship' is a better word). :goodvibes:

madge
September 12th, 2008, 03:57 PM
What a sweet story, the fawn looks very comfy with his/her new found friend.

yes, I bet it would have much preferred to stay with its newfound buddy!

Melanie1010
September 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Oh My that is WAY too cute! I would of kept it!! (and then wonder what to do when it grew!!) They look so comfy together!

the gang
September 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM
my god she is BEAUTIFUL!!!! yup i would have kept her too!! but i bet moma was worried about her, hope she found her mother, fingers crossed, but a perfect pic, brenda and the pins.

NoahGrey
September 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I think you guys are forgeting that this is a wild animal and needs it's natural environment.

Sorry..just really erks me when people think that wild animals would make good pets. They don't..simply put.

I do think that DNR was in the wrong. This fawn should have been placed in a Wildlife center or santuary, until it was strong and big enough to be on it's own. Who knows why this fawn was by itself?

I do know that mother fawns put their babies into hiding (even if it is a field with tall grass) and mom is gone for the majority of the day..but this is just strange.

This guy could have released a motherless fawn...which is a deathwish for the poor thing.

ACO22

the gang
September 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
im sorry you took it this way, what i ment to say was the fawn is so cute , i would have loved to have kept it, but im in rescue and would have placed her in a safe place, to grow , than i would have done what was best for her in the long run brenda and the pins.

BenMax
September 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I think you guys are forgeting that this is a wild animal and needs it's natural environment.

Sorry..just really erks me when people think that wild animals would make good pets. They don't..simply put.

I do think that DNR was in the wrong. This fawn should have been placed in a Wildlife center or santuary, until it was strong and big enough to be on it's own. Who knows why this fawn was by itself?

I do know that mother fawns put their babies into hiding (even if it is a field with tall grass) and mom is gone for the majority of the day..but this is just strange.

This guy could have released a motherless fawn...which is a deathwish for the poor thing.

ACO22

I am glad that you said this and it is for this reason I could not comment. Though the picture is beautiful the fate of this animal is basically sealed. I question why this animal was recommended to be placed back outside without an attempt to locate the mother. Wildlife services should have put this animal in the care of a santuary.

Nice picture - but I am afraid that this picture is all that is left if the mother was not located.

Frenchy
September 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I would have kept him too ! ya ya ya wild animal and all , just saying , it's too darn cute !!! :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Melanie1010
September 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I think most people saying they "would keep it" were saying more as a figure of speech. Most people i think have the common sense to ensure it is put into a sanctuary or wildlife center. I am appaled they would suggest just "releasing it"... poor thing didnt stand a chance if that is what was done..