Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Animal Abuse-Questions for upcoming debate

BenMax
September 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM
A fellow rescuer has passed me the following along with others within the rescue/animal network in Canada.

A special thank you to her for advising us of the following.

So please Canadian animal lovers, it is your turn to act. You have the opportunity to make a difference - here it is. The e-mail address is below.

Thank you.

"On CTV news last night they announced that there will be a televised debate regarding the upcoming election and that the public is invited to send in questions for the candidates. This is our chance, again, to make our voices heard.

I suggest that as many of us as possible send a question regarding their ignorance and unwillingness to create proper laws regarding animal abuse - a question that is to the point.

The e-mail address is : question@electiondebate08.ca

Please pass this on to other animal lovers - the more people who get involved, the greater chance of having them address our concerns."

Love4himies
September 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
:thumbs up emailed them. Thanks for letting us know, BenMax.

Frenchy
September 12th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I will e-mail them tonight ..... and tomorrow ... and Sunday .... :evil:

BenMax
September 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Thank you Love4himies and Frenchy. Hopefully more people will take this opportunity.

Dog Dancer
September 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Have sent them an email. I also addressed passing laws that ensure the proper care and protection of dogs that are used by Guard Dog companies. Let's hope enough people jump on this so that the issue comes up. Thanks for the good pointer BenMax.

Diamondsmum
September 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I emailed them & passed it on to everyone also..

:D

krdahmer
September 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM
What will you do to improve the laws protecting animals? In particular to strengthen the punishments for animal abuse and the operating of puppy/kitten mills?

The inaciton of our government in this matter is of much concern to those of us involved in rescue who work so hard to save these animals, to only watch the abusers and exploiters get nothing but a slap on the wrist, IF that!

That's what I emailed... good? I'm also passing this on to see if I can get more to do the same. Thanks for the heads up....:thumbs up

BenMax
September 12th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Thank you so much Krdahmer! Excellent.

This is an opportunity to stop reading about animal neglect and abuse. It is easy to talk about our lack of laws, it's another to address them and now is the time.

If enough people participate in this opportunity, the government will understand that we as Canadians have a voice and we are pro-active.

Please encourage others to participate.

kathryn
September 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM
What do you elect in Canada? Like.. you guys don't have a president right?

BenMax
September 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM

No Kathryn - we do not have a president.

krdahmer
September 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Oh no! This just furthers our belief that your education system completely ignores anything international.... have you really not learned that yet? We learn all about your country by grade 4/5 here. It still amazes me that the states don't bother to teach about ours... I mean we're attached!!! :rolleyes: We had company, a TEACHER from Virginia, who actually looked out over Lake Ontario and asked my dad "what ocean is this"??? :eek:

We have a Prime Minister here, who we actually elect. ;)

lotus
September 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
E-mail sent lets see if if anyone has a heart inside their bodies.
Any one that owns or cares for animals should e-mail for the love of pets:pawprint::dog:

14+kitties
September 12th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I will be sending as many as I can. It's about time laws get changed to protect the ones who can't protect themselves.

kathryn
September 12th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Oh no! This just furthers our belief that your education system completely ignores anything international.... have you really not learned that yet? We learn all about your country by grade 4/5 here. It still amazes me that the states don't bother to teach about ours... I mean we're attached!!! :rolleyes: We had company, a TEACHER from Virginia, who actually looked out over Lake Ontario and asked my dad "what ocean is this"??? :eek:

We have a Prime Minister here, who we actually elect. ;)

Nope. I know nothing about how Canada works. I went to public school. My text books were 20+ years old :cool: Even if we had studied Canada, it would have been extremely outdated stuff LOL.

I'm the smart one believe it or not. My one friend thought there was an ocean between California and New Jersey so you had to take a boat there. Then her friend asked what state the sun lived in :loser: I could go on and on. Public skewls meks us smartz!

/unhijack.

I wish the candidates over here would talk about animal issues. The elections stuff over here is ridiculous and immature. They spend more time arguing over petty things and being rude then anything else :frustrated:

MommaKat
September 13th, 2008, 12:30 AM
OoooKAY:rolleyes: Quick rundown on Canada.

1. We have 10 Provinces and 3 Territores in Canada.

2.We have Loonies and Twoonies ($1 and $2:D)

3.Our national anthem is just as cool as your national anthem.

4. I don't think any of us really say "eh" or "Aboot"

5. Poutines (Fries,Curds and Gravy) are awesome.

:crazy:

edited #2

rainbow
September 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I sent an email and forwarded this information on to others as well.

Since all politicians are always full of empty promises I really hope we can get through to them this time. :fingerscr

krdahmer
September 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM
One of the people I emailed also said anyone can use her words as well... I think she paints a good picture here:

As a tax paying citizen and a devout animal lover, I would like to know what you will do in order to improve the laws to protect our animals?? Of EXTREME IMPORTANCE, the PUNISHMENTS for those people(s) involved in ABUSE and/or the operation of puppy/kitten mills?

To date, the IGNORANCE and INACTION of our government in regards to the laws surrounding animal abuse has been neglitory. WHEN are the punishments to these abusers going to be strengthened?? I ask you to give thought to these next few scenarios: "How would YOU like to be chained and dragged behind a vehicle? How hungry do you think you would be, after being left tied to a fence, in the blaring hot sun for days at a time without food or water? How would you feel having your hands burned on a hot stove for making a mess on the floor?"

PLEASE....PLEASE...STRENGTHEN the PUNISHMENTS for the ABUSERS of our animals in order to send a crystal clear message that the CANADIAN GOVERNMENT WILL "NOT" WITHSTAND ANY TYPE OF ANIMAL ABUSE!!!!

badger
September 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM
For Kathryn...

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCESubjects&Params=A1

You'd be surprised how many Canadians are equally in the dark.

BeagleMum
September 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
E-mail sent!!!

chico2
September 13th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I too will send an e-mail or two,three or ten,just have to feed 3 starving kitties first.
Thank's BenMax for bringing this up:thumbs up

MommaKat
September 13th, 2008, 04:37 PM
It's a really great idea, I'm going to send a question in as well :party:.

mollywog
September 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
email sent.
thanks BenMax
and thanks krdahmer. I don't think I could put it into words that well- so I used that template!

Chaser
September 13th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I sent two questions, and will re-send my e-mails every day. Thank you BenMax for helping us all get on board with this!

I want to know what the party leaders will do regarding Canada's currently ineffective animal cruelty legislation. The current laws are poorly enforced and the sentences are far too weak for these crimes. Puppymills continue to operate and inflcit horrific abuses on animals. SPCAs are underfunded, and animal control officers are too limited in their authority to effectively do their jobs.

What will you do to strengthen animal cruelty legislation?

AND:

I am concerned regarding current standards for pet food manufacturing practices, particularly in light of recent pet food recalls. Most well-known pet food companies currently use all manner of low-quality ingredients and by-products in their food. I do not believe Canadians would approve if more of them realized that they are feeding their pets meat from dead and diseased animals, and dirty leftovers from the restaurant industry. It is not an acceptable practice, nor is it acceptable that these companies are so easily able to hide their practices from the public.

What will you do to tighten manufacturing standards for pet food and to increase public accountability for these companies?

If anyone wants to use these I don't mind. I think the key is to keep them short and identify specific concerns. Hopefully we can attract some notice to the issue!

Sylvie
September 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM
E mail sent

Thank you for the advice everyone.

Will send an email every day.

krdahmer
September 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Wow... Chase_Mom Those are awesome! I had completely forgot about the food issue.... I think I need to send another email! Very well worded. :thumbs up

BenMax
September 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I want to thank everyone who reads this and most importantly those who are pro-active.

I cannot stress enough the importance of all our Canadian citizens to take action and stop complaining about the laws and do absolutely nothing about them. This is eveyone's opportunity to 'try' and make a difference.

Do not sit on the sidelines - use your voice. It is your right!

Again - thanks to all that are not afraid to be heard - you are true animal loving people who are not just complaining but putting your words into action.

Keep it coming people - it is not too late.

BenMax
September 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Sorry - trying to keep this thread alive.

Thanks.
BenMax

TeriM
September 18th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Email sent :thumbs up.

rainbow
September 18th, 2008, 04:44 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/bumping/3.gif

BenMax
September 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks Rainbow - we need to keep this thread going - please people do not let this thread die.

I hope that everyone vocalizes. It is never too late. Our nations animals depend on us as their voices. Write to your ministers.

lotus
September 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Don't forget to include the BSL since it is also and act of cruelty that our own government commits.
Ask them after they ban all the breeds that they deemed vicious what are we going to use for police dogs ,search and rescue, guide dogs, and other dogs that protect our country and help the disabled.

BenMax
September 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Good point lotus.

rainbow
September 18th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I agree.....another email I'll send.

krdahmer
September 18th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Sent another! :thumbs up

chico2
September 18th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I sent several,I wonder if anyone of the candidates have the guts to speak up for our animals,but I certainly hope one of them will:fingerscr

BenMax
September 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM
So far the only party is the NDP.

lotus
September 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I think they hear us:thumbs up
http://www.greenparty.ca/en/node/7151
http://winnipegsun.com/News/Manitoba/2008/09/18/6806281.html
Lets keep it up and push for the BS ,BSL to be stoped.

BenMax
September 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Thank you Lotus for this update.

The power of the People! Good job everyone - let's keep this going.

Gypsyhick
September 19th, 2008, 08:21 AM
... If anyone wants to use these I don't mind. I think the key is to keep them short and identify specific concerns. Hopefully we can attract some notice to the issue!

Thanks Chase_Mom! I used them nearly word for word - very well spoken, very CBC-friendly. :)

dbg10
September 20th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks BenMax for providing this for us. Emails sent and will be sent daily until the debate

rainbow
September 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Bumping up again......keep sending in those emails. :thumbs up

rainbow
September 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM
Another bump.

JennieV
September 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM
I will be sending a few emails...:thumbs up

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 01:57 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/bumping/3.gif

BenMax
September 22nd, 2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks again Rainbow! There are enough people on Pets that can really make a difference. Please take advantage of this opportunity.

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
:eek: This was all the way down to page 3 already. :sad:

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
:eek: Slid down to page 2 already. :eek:

Please keep sending the emails everyone. :thumbs up

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yet another bump.....we have to keep this thread near the top. :thumbs up

gsdlove
September 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
I will forward this email address - thanks!

rainbow
September 22nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Thank you gsdlove .....the more emails that get sent the better. :thumbs up

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 02:49 AM
Hmmmmm....at the bottom of page one again. :sad:

BenMax
September 23rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Rainbow thank you for continuing to bump this thread for me. I have a feeling that it is being overlooked due to efforts that need to be made to put pen to paper and actually act.

I am hoping that others have sent their letters or questions to a very important issue.

For those who have taken the time to write, you are true animal lovers and I am grateful that this is being taken seriously....I hope.

Again Rainbow - thank you for being an animal advocate. You are TRUE!

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
But nobody has to bring the pen and paper out. They can just copy and paste some of the ones posted here and then just change the wording a bit and email. :shrug:

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Just reposting your original post on this page so people don't have to go back to find the email address....

A fellow rescuer has passed me the following along with others within the rescue/animal network in Canada.

So please Canadian animal lovers, it is your turn to act. You have the opportunity to make a difference - here it is. The e-mail address is below.

Thank you.

"On CTV news last night they announced that there will be a televised debate regarding the upcoming election and that the public is invited to send in questions for the candidates. This is our chance, again, to make our voices heard.

I suggest that as many of us as possible send a question regarding their ignorance and unwillingness to create proper laws regarding animal abuse - a question that is to the point.

Please pass this on to other animal lovers - the more people who get involved, the greater chance of having them address our concerns."

Winston
September 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Emails sent! sorry I want on board to see this sooner! Lets keep them coming!

Cindy

rainbow
September 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks Winston. :thumbs up

chico2
September 23rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
I think everyone here have sent one or more e-mail,I have,I've also forwarded it to several friends.
Hopefully it will be mentioned during the debate:fingerscr

rainbow
September 24th, 2008, 01:47 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/bumping/3.gif again !!!

BenMax
September 24th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Rainbow - I want you on my team!!! You are amazing!

rainbow
September 24th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Well I keep bumping this up hoping that someone else will send in an email or two or ten. :fingerscr

If someone does could you please post a reply to help keep this thread near the top of the board :goodvibes: .....it was way down on page two again. :sad:

rainbow
September 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
:whistle: :whistle:

rainbow
September 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Just reposting the email addy since we went to a new page.....

Originally Posted by BenMax

Thank you.

rainbow
September 25th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Sent in your email yet? :fingerscr

poodletalk
October 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
The English debate is tonight, we should watch it to see if they answer any questions regarding animal welfare.