Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ragdolls

vcheng79
July 18th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Can anyone tell me more about Ragdolls? How do I know whether she/he is healthy? Do they really go limp like a rag doll when they are being carried? :p

chico2
July 18th, 2004, 06:31 AM
VCheng,that is a myth,the same as people thought they were unable to feel pain and were born with a distinct limp.
Ragdolls all have blue eyes,are large beautiful cats with big bones and a mediumlong silky coat,similar to Maine Coons.
Why do you ask,do you have one?

vcheng79
July 18th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I went to Petcetera yesterday to look for toys for my cats. When i went to the animals area I found 3 tiny tiny kittens playing around. They are so so cute!!! I asked the store salesperson and he told me they are Ragdolls. I asked him the same question about going limp and he said he's not sure but one of the kittens like to scratch people when you hold him, so just wanna know.

Lucky Rescue
July 18th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Ragdolls were given that name because they should have a tendancy to relax when being held. But of course, kittens will be kittens, no matter what the breed.

I always wanted a Ragdoll, but never stopped ending up with other people's rejects..oh well.

Never get a kitten from a pet store! They come from mills and from "breeders" who care nothing for the welfare of the cats they produce.

chico2
July 18th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Lucky,I just re-read about Ragdolls in my big,gigantic cat-book called The Noble Cat,I of course missread,they don't have a limp,but are supposed to go limp when carried,just like you said,I was having a senior blond moment :D :D That's a double whammy.LOL
I think you and I will never have a"pure-bred"cat,but they are all wonderful,well,most of the time :D

vcheng79
July 18th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Don't worry la...I never like buying kittens from pet stores. Not only are they extremely expensive, I don't know how a lot of pet stores get their "stocks" from doggy and kitty mills. I read this article in one of the magazines and I swear I will never help people in the mills make money! Besides, SPCA always have a lot of cute cats. Most of them are already housetrained and everything. Also, these are the cats who really need a family anyway. :)

Spoiled
July 22nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
Check and see if there is a rescue group or a shelter with Ragdolls needing homes. If you wait long enough, you'd be likely to get one. :)

vcheng79
July 22nd, 2004, 11:10 PM
I am planning on doing exactly that, but since I am going back to Hong Kong, I am going to see if HK SPCA will have that in the future lor