Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some hope for Phoozles and the rest of us.

ancientgirl
September 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I was reading my About.com:cats newsletter and they had this little story:

Cats Integration Success Story
Patience and Love Payed off for Shaq and Picasso

I adopted my beautiful Picasso when she was 2. We became very close, and it was just she and I for six years. At that time, I took in Venus, who was the same age as Picasso, and after a short introduction period, the two became friends.

About a year later, (4 1/2 years ago), my husband brought home a surprise to our apartment...two little eyes peeked out of a cage at me and we named our five 5 month old kitten Shaq. Even after long introduction periods, Picasso and Shaq hated each other. They attacked each other violently and needed to be supervised if together and separated if we left. We tried so many things. We really just lost hope and made sure to provide adequate supervision at all times. Sometimes we had to break up cat fights or stop one from stalking the other.

Then we moved into our first house and after 4 1/2 years, a miracle happened. My thirteen year old Picasso and five year old Shaq are friends now! Finally friends. They sit by each other, and although they do not cuddle, they do touch noses and occasionally give each other a kiss. Recently when Picasso was ill (she has several chronic conditions, i.e. diabetes, CRF, IBD), Shaq kept vigil over her and checked on her, in between vet visits that is.

I just wanted to share this story to let anyone else who might have this problem know that there is hope...even if it seems hopeless...that feuding cats might eventually get along.

Franny's Comments: Does this scenario seem familiar to you? Do you have two cats that fight at every opportunity? The lesson here is not to give up. As I told Melanie in an email, sometimes even subtle environmental changes can make a difference, and her not-so-subtle move to another home may have had something to do with their turnaround. Perhaps it was because they were now on neutral ground, where neither cat had laid a claim.

I think this story gives some of us hope that even a small change can make a big difference. We all have hope.

14+kitties
September 11th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Very nice story ancient! :cloud9:
So I guess all Phoozles has to do is to move? :rolleyes: :D :laughing: Just joking!

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
LOL, it's a good excuse to move right? But seriously, at least it gives hope. I know Czarina is still being very hissy and stuff and at times has even chased poor Maks and tried to chase Kiska. Moving isn't in the plans for me now or in the future, but hey you never know. And then if I did move then certainly the situation might be different. Bigger place, more room, all of them are more comfortable.:D

Love4himies
September 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I need other advice than to move :yell::frustrated::o. Yes, taking cats out of their territory can make them less defensive. Sweet Pea thinks the house is hers and she wants to rule it, that's why her and Jasper get along so well, he is a huge pushover with other kitties. Puddles has ruled the house since she was 12 weeks (now 12 years) and doesn't back down either. Snowball was 5 years when we brought Puddles in and he allowed her anything she wanted except his spot on the bed beside me :cloud9::lovestruck: :cry: I sure miss my bud.

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Oh no, neither of those girls wants to give an inch.

I wonder if Czarina will ever really stop hissing at everyone. The others can't even pass by her without her hissing. I feel most sorry for Maks, because he is so non-confrontational. She's chasing him the most. She tried to give Kiska grief yesterday but Tiny Miss didn't back down and Czari eventually left her alone. Maks just runs and all I can do when I see it happening is tell Czari NO.

I'm not sure how much the Prozac is doing, but if this is her mood as a result of the medication I don't know if I want to see her mood off of it :laughing:

When I have some money I'm going to start the diffusers again.:shrug: What else can we do but keep trying different options. I can't put Czari out again and I don't really want to. I can't give her to anyone because they won't have the patience for her and rescues here are already full so adoption is hard, especially for a semi-friendly Tortie with an attitude.

But this little story did give me hope. It took this woman 4 years for her cats to get along. A long time but it did happen. I have to think there's hope for me.

Love4himies
September 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Only a hiss, I pray for the day Sweet Pea will only hiss at Puddles, Sweet Pea STALKS AND ATTACKS!!!! If she comes out of a room and sees Jasper, she goes into attack mode until she realizes it is Jasper and not Puddles. :frustrated: then she demands a kiss from him :cloud9: and he gives her one :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I'm hoping Maks stands up to Czari at some point. At the very least, maybe it will stop her from running after him and swatting at his little butt.:sad:

I've even thought of getting Maks and Czarina some Bach remedies specifically for their particular issue. Maks so he can be less nervous and afraid and Czari to hopefully help her chill out.

phoozles
September 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
You know, I wondered if moving would make a difference. Right now we're trying to work something out with my work to move to Windsor - my fiancÚ goes to school there so we'd avoid the commute, plus my house is up for sale (we rent), so technically we could be forced to move at any time (but if you've seen some of the pictures of my house - shingles inside - I don't think we'll need to pack any time soon :D).
In a way, I thought that it might make a difference - neutral territory. I'm also a little apprehensive because we've got a good set up right now, the way the rooms are set up..

It's definitely something to hope for - because right now, things are iffy.. I thought the diffusers had kicked in quickly, but then Alley went right back to harassing Ethel through the door :rolleyes::frustrated: I didn't think they would kick in that fast, but it would have been nice!

Ancient - there is a chance that she will stop hissing (which, like L4H, I really wish was my guys' only problem - they are ready for a brawl the moment I open that door) - Jake hissed at Alley at least 20 times a day for almost a year, but now that Ethel is in the house, he rarely ever does it, and they play more than ever.. A change in dynamic really alters their relationships!

Thanks for posting that, ancient, it does help me keep up hope, which goes up and down every single day *sigh*

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hopefully if you do have to move to Windsor, you can find a place that might even work out better for you in case you need to keep them separated for a while.

At least I can be happy I haven't seen any brawl type of behavior. I even saw Czarina go into one of the other litter boxes so that has to be a good sign.

krdahmer
September 12th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Of course there's hope! Although we moved and more than doubled our space, Smoke's hissing, growling, posturing and swatting towards the boys and poor little Asker is yet to subside. And I truly don't think it ever will. She doesn't like them... and they are fascinated by her.... not the greatest combo. IMO, at some point you just have to let them out and say, here it is, find a way to live with it. At least that's what's working here. Now Smoke has her safe spots and she spends time with me while the others are all napping. And since adding the feliway, there has been slightly less hissing and harassing, and she is getting more bold. And we are going on over 4 years since the first boy was introduced to the house. I can't say they live in harmony, heck me and hubby don't even live in harmony most days.... but we are all living, and loving.... and no one is getting seriously injured. Some days that's all you can ask for! ;)

I'm sure you all will find ways for your furries to co-exist, and the important thing is that they are all safe and healthy and happy (and remember just because they are seperated or hissy and growly, it doesn't mean they aren't happy, after all being loved makes all of us happy right?).

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I'm actually pretty pleased at the way things have progressed. While it's not the ideal situation I'd like, at the very least they are all dealing with it, some days better than others.

I can't help but smile when I see Czarina waiting her turn come treat time. I love seeing her come to the door to meet me like the others. She's really learned a lot from them I think. This morning she was laying on my bed stretching and rolling all over and I remember when she was outside. She was at the mercy of the elements and she only ate once a day and not a lot, since we were finding it hard to put her food somewhere where it would not get thrown away.

And now that they've done a lot of landscaping in the area where she hung around, she would not have had a place to really feel safe. I'm happy to know that even though she's really only just tolerating the others, she's better off here than she was outside.

Krdahmer, I've got the same situation. The others are fascinated with Czarina, but she doesn't think much of them.:laughing:

All I can do is keep providing for them. Love, food, a roof over their little heads and keep trying to make things calmer for all of them. :D