Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog attacked by neighbours cat

Catthegreatest
September 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
My 14 month old puppy was in my backyard last night when the neighbours cat decided to walk along the fence, Ares (my puppy) tried to sniff it when the cat attacked him taking a chunk of his eye ball (less than a millimeter from his cornia) anyways we had to take him to the vet, he was given medication for infection, and he should make a full recovery.
My question is... Is there any way that I could get my neighbour (who's cat's are constantly roaming free and into my yard) to pay for the vet bills? I dont want this to happen again, to Ares or any other dog playing in their own yard??
Thanks

bryna123
September 11th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Good luck with that. If your neighbor is a decent sort, they may offer half the cost if you ask nicely. Is there any cat by-laws in your area?

Catthegreatest
September 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Not that I am aware of, and I dont think that she will, he isnt the frienliest person! I will look into that though, thanks for the idea

happycats
September 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I know in my area cat's are not allowed to roam free and owners are responsible for any damage they do. You may want to check your by-laws, and sue if you have to.

Catthegreatest
September 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I checked and cats are allowed to roam free, but the owners are responsible for any damages caused. So I have emailed bylaw to see how to go about charging them.
Thank you very much!!

BenMax
September 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Touchy situation. I always worry about a neighbour's reaction when they are forced to pay for damages. You may have to watch you and your dog's p's and q's while living next door if in fact she must pay.

I am certain, that if your dog does anything wrong - you will hear about it.