Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How old?

pitgrrl
September 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Maybe this doesn't happen to other people, but when I walk the dogs people always ask me if they're puppies, then, when I tell them that they're actually almost 7, they try telling me I must be wrong as they can't be older than 2 or 3 :laughing:

I even had a vet suggest I might have their age wrong as he wouldn't believe they were 7 years old.

So, if this is something other people experience, how old do people think your dog is and how old is (s)he?

SIL
September 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hi pitgrrl...I used to get that all the time walking Billie. People always thought she was a puppy and commented on it even though she was 7 at the time.:D She is a Manchester Terrier (see the ad in the lost pets section):sad: so she looks like a doberman puppy. We used to laugh when we heard 'oh look at the cute puppy', especially when you saw the grey hairs on her chin.

14+kitties
September 11th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I get asked that all the time with Keesha but that's because of her size. People assume because she is tiny (toy poodle) and is usually pretty bouncy, she is a puppy. In reality she is 14.

breeze
September 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I get that also..
they think Bree is under a year cause she is on the small size for a berner and has all the energy in the world.. now I know where my energy has gone..she is 2
and they think Archer is 5=6 months and he is only 9 weeks old..

pitgrrl
September 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
We used to laugh when we heard 'oh look at the cute puppy', especially when you saw the grey hairs on her chin.

That cracks me up too, both Basil and Streets are rapidly going grey, yet their little old man beards seem to have no effect what so ever on people's perception that they're pups.

I think their bounciness probably has a lot to do with it, but I also wonder if people just aren't used to seeing old dogs, for all the typical (and terrible) reasons such as people ditching their animals or figuring that an older dog is happy just sitting in the house all day :shrug:

clm
September 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
My breed always look like young dogs for some reason. People would ask about Freddie and Yogi and couldn't believe when I told them they were 8 or 9.

Cindy

Gail P
September 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
With a couple of mine it's the other way around. Flurry is so huge for both his breed and his age that people never realize he's just a pup (10 months now) and they think he's some kind of mix instead of purebred border collie. Lightning is tri-coloured but instead of tan he's got brindled markings which in some areas are a deeper gold/black, but in other areas are more of a grey/cream/black. The lighter parts are on his face, the eyebrows and cheeks so it gives him a very grizzled look and lots of people think he's old. He's 3 1/2 now but that's been happening since he was about a year or two.

lm9012
September 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I used to foster a little terrier mut..he was about 15 pounds, all black except for a white spot on his chest. I would take him to adoption shows and if he stood next to a black lab everyone always assumed he was her puppy! He did look just like a black lab puppy. He was about 4 years old. He was the perfect dog! I know we say that about our own dogs all the time! :D But really, also all my fosters hold a special place but I'll admit this one holds a little bigger space in there! :o

He's the only dog that my dog ever liked. My dog never wrestles or plays with any dog. Fosters in and out and they'd try to get him to play and he'd growl them off or walk away..even my tabby kitten tries everyday and nothing.

This little guy was the only one that broke through. They snuggled and played every day. He never had an accident, or any obedience issue. I think he was mixed with a rat terrier or something. He was all black so the pics I have don't do him justice. Poor doll. I bawled like a baby when I adopted him out. He was crying after me and I had to keep going.. they told me he stood staring at the door for over an hour after I left! It took me like a month to get over it. I think for him it was much sooner!

Luckily he is healthy and happy at his new home and doing very well now! And he made room for me to help 8 more dogs after him! So there's purpose for everything! :lovestruck:

Pit Bull Love
September 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Tank and Arez will be ten in a month and I've had people ask if they were two/three as well. No doubt because they are complete spazzes! lol It's weird, by this age, Venus, Nyx and Marz had already slowed down quite a bit, but Tank and Arez are still like puppies. :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
September 12th, 2008, 01:31 AM
My :rip: Cally was a DalxBlk Lab cross & he had a white chin as a pup so his age didn't show very much, one night several years ago, on a walk I had one guy tell me to make sure I got my puppy neutered, I said yeah he was neutered about 8 years ago :D. The guy did believe he was not a puppy & already neutered & had to have a look himself :rolleyes: :laughing:

chico2
September 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
With my walking-companion Bailey(cocker)people always think she's very old and she's only about 8 yrs old,lots of living to do yet:dog:

Luvmypitgirls
September 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM
People used to ask me about my Pit/heeler cross Tamara:rip:
They thought she was 5-7 yrs, when infact she was 12.
She lived to be 18, and was in perfect health until the last 3 weeks.
Our vet, was just as devestated as us when we made the decision to send her to the Bridge.