Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wet food for cats

dogcatharmony
September 10th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I am having an arguement over here about feeding wet food to male cats that have UTI problems. Can anyone tell me some good links stating the benefits.

I am being told that feeding wet food to a MALE cat is a no-no, and I am trying to get my point across from what the vet told me.

Thanks in advance!

sugarcatmom
September 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
From the World Small Animal Veterinary Congress 2006 in Prague: http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2006&PID=15805&Category=2673&O=Generic

Dietary change is the only form of therapy that has consistently been shown to be of real benefit in cases of iFLUTD. Based on our current knowledge, this forms the most important part of long-term management. Several studies have now confirmed the results of an earlier investigation that showed cats fed a wet (tinned) diet had a much lower rate of recurrent signs of idiopathic cystitis than those fed a dry diet. The urine concentration produced in response to feeding the wet diet was much lower than that of the cats fed the dry diet, and it is thought that producing more dilute urine (and presumably thus also encouraging more frequent urination) are major mechanisms of the observed benefit. Feeding a wet (tinned/sachet) diet rather than a dry diet is thus always recommended for iFLUTD, and the feeding of a 'pH neutral' diet (a urine pH in the region of 6.3 is typically found in cats on a 'natural' diet of rodents) that will avoid extremes of urinary pH is also likely to be of benefit.

Jim Hall
September 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
in other words whoever told youwet is bad is 100% wrong hope it wasnt the vet

dogcatharmony
September 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
No I am in a discussion with a friend who is waiting to bring their kitty to the vet for a possible UTI. Kitty has been peeing outside the box and showing distress when going. Got talking about cat food and how I have been slowly switching my male cat to a wet food diet only and she said that you can't feed a wet food to Male cats at all, it was big no no. I told her what my vet had said when my old cat had crystals, that a neutered male would benefit from the extra mositure in wet food. She disagreed, so I figured while she was waiting she could do some reading and then discuss it with her vet if she still didn't believe.

First time I have ever heard that male cats can't eat wet:shrug: So I know there are super cat knowledgeable people here and thought I could get some info quick!

Thanks sugarcatmom!

Love4himies
September 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Maybe explaining that the extra water keeps the kidneys and bladder flushed so the chances of crystals becoming large and creating a blockage (males have narrower urethras) or bladder infections is greatly decreased.

That logic is hard to dismiss ;)

Good luck!