Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What to do with litter of kittens???

kathryn
September 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM
That Mommy cat I need tested for FeLV had another litter of kittens. She keeps trying to put them in my evil neighbors yard! My mom grabbed the 5 kittens and put them in the dog house and blocked it off. But what are we supposed to do with them? They are about a month old at this point I guess... and they are walking, talking and everything else. Is it best to just set up the dog crate at my grandmoms enclosed patio, take the kittens and put them in there?? I'm leaving for Georgia in a week. So that would mean my grandmom would be stuck taking care of them.

If we let the mom have them back, she is going to put them right back into my evil neighbors yard. Then while I'm in Georgia who knows what will happen to the kittens.

The Mommy cat still knows the trap is a trap.

I'm so lost.. and I need that dog crate because I'm bringing fosters back from Georgia!!

Help me!! I don't want to send them to the shelter again after what happened last time.

Love4himies
September 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Do you know anybody else who is a foster mom/volunteer that could help you out while you are away?

I'm sorry, I don't always know what is going on as I miss so many posts, or I am having a "hazel moment" (sorry hazel, couldn't resist :D), but what happened at the shelter last time?

kathryn
September 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM
The last litter was Alex & co and they died from FeLV. I believe they contracted it at the foster home or the shelter... not from their mom. So now until I find out more... I'm too afraid to send them to the shelter.

We have the dog crate now and it looks like it's just better to set them up at my grandmoms.

I'm going to feed them KMR w/wet food. That should be fine I guess.

For wet food, does anyone have a specific brand I should get? Or just give them Evo?

I'm going out now to do what I have to do, but if anyone has any better ideas or tips I'm willing to listen. I wish I could get them to stay with their mom, but if I let them go back out, their mom will move them into my evil neighbors yard.. and she probably would just put them in a trash bag and throw them out like garbage. She's a miserable old hag.

Love4himies
September 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I feed my kittens Kitten Wellness canned, but I think any high quality canned adult food along with KMR will be fine for the kittens as the protein levels are adequate in the canned.

Love4himies
September 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your last litter of fosters. :sad:

14+kitties
September 10th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Probably the best thing to do is what you have planned although it is far from ideal. In an emergency you do what you gotta do.

The Mommy cat still knows the trap is a trap.

I have a couple too who knows the trap is a trap. I finally managed to catch one I have been trying to trap for two years. The way I did it was to set the trap so the door was open but the actual trap wasn't set. Then I started putting the food just at the entrance and slowly, every day, moving it back a little further. It took 4 or 5 days of doing this. Then I set the trap to release when she went in. Finally, success!! I don't know if this would work or not for you with your other strays. :shrug:
A few other ideas....... fresh catnip inside the trap; disguising the trap with branches; lining it with newspapers, cardboard, etc.
I thought I knew all the tricks to trap strays too but it's amazing what you can learn. I recently met another rescuer who had been after a cat for almost as long as I had been after mine. She used the catnip and he walked right in.

kathryn
September 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks 14+ because that's what the shelter told me to do.. and it's reassuring that it worked for you.

The kittens are at my grandmoms and are all set up. I'm feeding them Evo mixed with KMR. I am going to force feed them today but they are healthy and active little guys so I am sure within the next couple days they will be eating 100% on their own and everything.

I found out Alex & co were separated. One foster took 3 and the other took 2. They all had FeLV. 4/5 are dead already and 1 was adopted (Allan the grey tux) and the new parents aren't calling the shelter back!!! So Allan is MIA presumed dead.

We still think when I brought them to the shelter they contracted it that way. I really do not think the mommy has it. I don't think anyone has it =/ Everyones been negative so far... this litter was the only litter that basically left the isolated area of my neighborhood. And are the only litter to get sick and die.

Gahhhh I'm so stressed. I'm so worried these guys are going to have FeLV and are going to die.

krdahmer
September 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM
That so works with the trap, it's how we finally got George, my trap was malfunctioning for a couple of days so he got used to going in and out... and then whammo! I fixed it and he got nabbed!

Best of luck with the kittens, I think if you're going away, grandma's house sounds like a good plan! :goodvibes:

kathryn
September 10th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Cute kitten pictures coming soon.. don't get too awwww about them because their fate is basically hanging in the balance right now.

They look fantastic.. eating fantastic and everything.

I'm just hoping the previous litter picked the FeLV up at the shelter. I mean there is nothing I can do about it now, but if they got it at the shelter it's better then the mom having it and be putting down.

kathryn
September 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM
http://a465.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/125/l_aeac81af65e24c0b8cf463bd9b5f46f8.jpg

http://a809.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/117/l_c150e0e4cbda6b15abcdb99d3ccb4018.jpg

http://a35.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/59/l_74d50e21e184dcfe2bada91ad9ccf51a.jpg

http://a30.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_438c9e477d822bbe1e77b53c8a98c4dd.jpg

1 tux, 1 white calico, 3 tabbys.

One of the tabbys is a jerk. He was hissing and spitting and growling like a lunatic.

Hope they are negative...

Diamondsmum
September 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Awwwwe.. (I know I am sorry) The tabby being all grumpy is possibly protecting his siblings.. or is just skerred.

I hope it works out for ya..They are sooo sweet looking.

14+kitties
September 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Geezz girl - you have a way with words. :rolleyes: A baby kitten is not a jerk. They don't know how to be jerks. They do know fright. They know that things changed in a hurry. They know that momma isn't there any more. Take it easy on the little ones hon. And remember, we have it good! :thumbs up :grouphug:

kathryn
September 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM
He bit me though!!! And attacked my mom!! He's a jerk.

They are all teething and were chomping on the syringe a whole bunch.

1 of the tabbys is shy but other then the mean one the other 3 became un-feral in a matter of a few minutes of petting them and feeding them.

I noticed eye gunk in the one and boogers on another so we'll see how they do. If they last until I get back from Georgia I imagine the outlook will be good.

I FINALLY got contact info for the foster mom. She called and left me a message and told me to call back after 5:30 and I called at 6:30 and no answer. So I just left a message basically saying I really just want a picture of Floppy (that crippled little guy).

14+kitties
September 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM
LOL If I called all of the kittens that bit me at one time or another jerks that would include just about every single one. Some of them bite hard too. They are petrified, poor babies. Give them a few days. I am sure the little "jerk" will turn out to be one of your favourites.
Why don't you take one of the kitties to your vet and have it tested for FeLuk? At least then you would know one way or another. Beware the false/positive readings too.

kathryn
September 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM
They are too young aren't they? Shelter said 6 months is the right time to test.

They are only a month old. Not sure if it's even worth it to test them.

Is there anyway instead of doing the regular test where they put the blood on the puck shaped thing and then the dots pop up, is there any other way? So I could maybe send it threw a machine and make it more accurate??

14+kitties
September 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I just had TT tested about a month or so ago. The vet thought that his eye being dilated there was a possibility he was positive. He wasn't, Thank Gawd! They can be tested pretty young. Do a google search on how old they have to be. You will be surprised.

This site gives you some more info on this disease. You may be interested in reading it and others to educate yourself a little more on FeLuk. There's lots of articles out there on it.

http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm/feline_leukemia_virus_felv

kathryn
September 10th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I'll hang off on it until I get back from Georgia if I haven't caught Mommy by then. It's 25$ but since I plan to sign the kittens over anyways I can just probably get it for free.

The shelter has been amazing with helping me. I feel bad that I keep bringing them more and more kittens but atleat they understand I'm not doing it on purpose.

14+kitties
September 10th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Some shelters are really good. I am glad you have found a good one. :thumbs up

kathryn
September 10th, 2008, 08:50 PM
The county shelter is helping me out as well. They already tested and vaccinated that orange tabby I just found a foster home for. I think he was already neutered (luckily). he's going up to PetSmart next week. Named him Chester by the way LOL after the Cheeto's guy.

I'm glad I live in an area where the shelters care and are doing their best. This is slightly off topic but PetSmart and Petco have been a gigantic help as well.

Going to see what I can do. I have to run back over to the shelter sometime Saturday or Sunday to pick up my name tag :cool:

kathryn
September 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Ugh. I'm extremely sick today. I'm going to the doctors in an hour. So stressed out I've been throwing up and just horribly sick.

For anyone following my story

http://a754.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/84/l_d1eb0a8355044d7efcd717d82e2cdf39.jpg

I finally got a picture of Floppy. RIP little dude :sad:

14+kitties
September 11th, 2008, 10:52 AM
:candle: :rip: little Floppy :candle::sad:

kathryn
September 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Bad news. Talked to the foster mom on the phone for about a half hour. The kittens I brought in were put into an isolated cage, then 2 went to one home and 3 went to the foster mom I talked to. Both fell ill at the same time. That means they had to have been exposed at the same time.

So Mommy Cat is almost 100% going to have it.

I don't want to put her down. Debbie agreed. The best thing is to spay her and let her live her life out. Once Buddy and Missy are vaccinated then I really won't have to worry. If I can afford it I will vaccinate all my ferals. Momma, her 3 babies & Carmel.

I think I know what cat brought out the FeLV if she tests positive. Can I have the people arrested or anything? :sad: They didn't care for the cat and now they moved away. I had the SPCA check them out but what's done is done.

... If it weren't for my mother Three Legged Missy and Buddy would be in the house full time right now until this is sorted out.

14+kitties
September 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM
No, you can't have them arrested. It would be nice but it won't happen. It's hard to say where this dread disease started. All it takes is a bite or even just saliva. :grouphug: So sorry hon. It's tough sometimes. :sad:

kathryn
September 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
WE CAUGHT THE MOMMY CAT!!!

I opened the shed outback, put a can of tuna in there and she walked right in! I slammed the door shut and got my mom. We went in armed with a sheet, tossed it over her, grabbed her by her scruff and forced her into the trap. Not the ideal way to trap a feral cat but oh well. We've got her.

Dropping her off at my shelter tomorrow. They already offered to take care of everything... financial and etc. I'm so glad I have some help around here!!! I obviously am going to pay them back anyway I can though.

Please everyone hope she's not positive and her kittens will be okay :fingerscr