Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Very smelly very sick feral cat

lindapalm
September 8th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I picked up a very sick cat from the side of the road. He was a member of a colony of about ten cats, but was quite tame. I have him on albon for severe diharrea and hes been wormed and had flea meds. I noticed his blanket has hundreds of live fleas on it, shouldnt they be dead after ten hours on meds. Also, is there anything I can clean him with, especially his rear end, that will get rid of the smell but wont hurt him? Will the albon help his infected mouth too? His teeth are going to have to be pulled once he's better, in the meantime he can only suck up canned food.

14+kitties
September 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM
The only thing I have to say to you is get that poor kitty to a vet! ASAP or sooner! We can't help. It sounds like this little one has too many issues to deal with here.
Let us know how it went please.:goodvibes:

lindapalm
September 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I took the cat to the vet the morning after I got him. He tested negative for the cat diseases, so I'm going to give it my best to pull him through. I've done other feral cats before, but this guy is the sickest. Has anyone had luck with the Albon that hes on. He needs it for severe diharrea, but I'm wondering if it will help his infected teeth. The're so bad the vet couldnt judge how old he was by his teeth, he has no idea. He'll have to have quite a few pulled when he gets stronger. Does the flea meds kill the eggs too? The feas drop off him but are still alive. I've been washing him down with a warm washcloth just to get the stink off him. Is there something else I can use thats not toxic and gentle, or should I just stick with the water?

kathryn
September 9th, 2008, 09:59 PM
What kind of flea meds did you use?

Albon is okay if they actually have coccidia. He probably has worms though. Get something like nemex, strongant or drontal to treat with as well. Don't waste your money on OTC stuff.

He needs antibiotics for he infected teeth. Get him some Clavamox. Probably in the liquid form would be best.

Was he given any fluids? He probably could use an IV drip since he has severe diarrhea.

I'll do my best to help you out with anymore questions. I work at a shelter dealing with sick animals and I know alot about feral cats as well.

14+kitties
September 9th, 2008, 10:15 PM
As I have stated - please take the cat to the vet to be rechecked if you are not happy with what is going on. We are not vets. We can not tell you what/how to treat a cat.
If you are using vet perscribed meds they should start working soon. You can not keep medicating cats with different stuff without a vets ok or you run the danger of overmedicating which can end in the cat's death.

lindapalm
September 10th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hes was wormed at the vet. The vet did the minimum amount of treatment to start with cause there are seven others I'm going to have to work on once I get this guy straightened out. The vet seemed to think maybe the albon would help the diharrea and the teeth, but it sounds to me like thats too much for one med to do. I,m thinking of giving him a dropperful of water through out the day but I,m afraid he might choke, although he does alright with swallowing the meds. The diharrea doesnt seem quite as bad, I'm wondering if vitamins would help, have you ever tried them on a cat? He eats almost two cans of food a day, which I'm sure isnt helping to get rid of the diharrea, but with the mouth problems, hes got no choice.

14+kitties
September 10th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Try giving him some pumpkin (the pure pumpkin, not the pie mix) or squash with his food. You can find it in the baking aisles of stores. That may help the diahhrea. He may have the runs just trying to get used to the food you are feeding him. If he was feral he wasn't getting much before. Probably eating tons of mice and garbage just to survive.
Other than that we really can't give medical advise. He will have to go back to the vet for a more thorough examination.
Good Luck

How big is he? What kind of food are you feeding him? Why is two cans a day too much? He is hungry. Feed him. Worry about the weight later. Keep him away from hard food. It is mostly crap.

sugarcatmom
September 11th, 2008, 07:54 AM
You might also consider giving him some probiotics mixed with his canned food. The antibiotic is likely to wipe out any good bacteria he might have had in his intestines. Look for a non-dairy, high potency probiotic with mixed organisms, something like Natural Factors Ultimate Multi Probiotic: http://www.naturalfactors.com/search.asp?mode=cat&cat=36 You just need to give him a small amount (1/4 of the cap) a couple times a day.

Also slippery elm bark can help with diarrhea, and can be mixed with food. If you try that, make sure to give it an hour before or after any other meds as it can potentially interfere with their absorption. Here's a link explaining it's use: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm

Love4himies
September 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't worry about how much he is eating but the quality of food he is eating. Is the food grain free? Human grade ingredients? Have you tried giving him some raw meat for extra protein and amino acids?

I would try the pumpkin mixed with his food as 14+ suggested, diarrhea in cats can lead to dehydration pretty quickly

Good luck and thanks for taking in this poor boy, he would probably not have survived long had you not picked him up. :angel:

lindapalm
September 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM
He is a large cat that weight 7.2 lbs. which doesnt sound bad but looks terrible on him. I'm feeding him nine lives pate cause he cant chew the meat chunks in the other kinds. I let him eat as much as he wants, usually two cans but I have to keep making a pile out of it I think cause he cant pick it off the plate with his bad teeth if its flattened out. When the Albon is gone I'm going to take him back for a recheck to see if hes strong enough to do something with the teeth. I dont know if hes better off waiting tohave the teeth pulled when hes stronger in a month or two, or having them out now to relieve the discomfort. I dont want to sound like I'm a cheapskate, but I have to do as much I can for him on my own cause hes the second one I've gotten from the bunch, theres at least five to seven more, and I have six cats and two dogs of my own.I hope to have them all taken care of by Xmas

14+kitties
September 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
IMO the best thing you could do for him right now is take him off 9 Lives and get him on a good quality food. One that contains no by products and actual meat.
These are the ingredients from 9 Lives:

Ingredients, taken from back of can

MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, FISH, WATER SUFFICIENT FOR PROCESSING, POULTRY BY-PRODUCTS, CHICKEN, FISH BROTH, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, GUAR GUM, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, NATURAL FLAVOR, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, VITAMINS (VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, NIACIN SUPPLEMENT, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, MENADIONE SODIUM BISULFITE COMPLEX, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), CARRAGEENAN, MINERALS (MAGNESIUM OXIDE, FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC OXIDE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATE, SODIUM SELENITE), SODIUM NITRITE (TO PROMOTE COLOR RETENTION).

I don't know. Doesn't sound too appetizing to me.
A good quality food - Wellness, Eagle Pack, any canned food that actually has meat as the first ingredients. Not by products but meat. You may even find the better quality the food the less your new one eats.

Good luck

lindapalm
September 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I dont think the stores around here sell those brands, but I 'll look for any kind that has real meat as a first ingredient. Thanks.

lindapalm
September 13th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I am still taking care of the sick feral cat, hes looking stronger each day. I got another cat into the Humane Soc. but there are still at least three feral cats left. They are so friendly one tried to jump into my car when I went to feed them. If I capture them and get them neutered and fatten them up and get rid of the fleas, can they survive in a 4x6 cage in a unheated garage in the winter in New York until I get them a home? The Humane Soc. is too full, and I cant bring them in my house,I have six of my own. I dont know where they stayed last winter.

scol
September 14th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Thought this link might be useful. There are great and inexpensive shelter ideas for housing cats in the winter. They might help if they need to stay in your garage. There's a great deal of useful information on the site about nutrition, health, and managing feral cats. Hope it helps!

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm

What you're doing is really admirable!

NoahGrey
September 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM
What you are doing is commenable. Thank you for taking him in. My only question is why are you not calling the vets with your questions? Also why did the vet not precribe a flea treatment like Revoultion. Or maybe he did, but you found it too expensive? I would get him on Revoultion (sp?) and while you are there, ask him the questions that you have.

Thought this link might be useful. There are great and inexpensive shelter ideas for housing cats in the winter. They might help if they need to stay in your garage. There's a great deal of useful information on the site about nutrition, health, and managing feral cats. Hope it helps!

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm

The only thing that I have an issue is that none of the shelter have a strong enough flap/door that will not blow when it is windy. Yes, you can build a shelter, but if wind and different weather elements can get in, it can be not like having shelter at all.

ACO22

14+kitties
September 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM
If you are taking in these cats and wanting to put them in a 4 x 6 cage for the winter then why not take some of those shelter ideas and put them inside the cage? That would be ideal. That way they have the shelter of the garage and additional shelter inside their cage. The rubbermaid bins are terrific lined with styrofoam and straw. The straw works because they can burrow down into it and stay warm. I have found any kind of shelter is better than none. This type has been used by many many shelters all over Canada and the States.

Take particular note of the colder weather part of that site which says:

Claudia Allen of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, lines the interior walls of her styrofoam shelters with a Mylar reflective blanket, which can be bought at survival stores as thermal safety blankets for people (in case your car gets stuck in the cold.) The Mylar reflects the cat's body heat back onto him and can make the difference in extreme temperatures, particularly in the more northern states and Canada.
Thanks for helping these kitties!!

lindapalm
September 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
The website about the Mylar blankets sounds like a good idea. The cage I'll keep them in is 4x6x6ft tall, so I could line the walls with it if they dont shred it on me. I was surprised to see that newspaper and straw are better than blankets, I never would have thought of that. I have a lot of old carpeting I'll put on the floor, that cant hurt. Hopefully the Humane soc. will get openings before it gets too bad outside, but I doubt it.

bryna123
September 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I would try the pumpkin mixed with his food as 14+ suggested, diarrhea in cats can lead to dehydration pretty quickly

Good luck and thanks for taking in this poor boy, he would probably not have survived long had you not picked him up. :angel:[/QUOTE]

Just curios. My dog had abad case of constipation and pumkin was a fix for that. It worked wonders to loosen his bowels. Are cats the opposite?

sugarcatmom
September 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Just curios. My dog had abad case of constipation and pumkin was a fix for that. It worked wonders to loosen his bowels. Are cats the opposite?

Nope, pumpkin works the same in cats and dogs. It has to do with the fiber content of pumpkin acting to balance the water content in the intestines, as well as adding bulk to the stool. This has a positive effect on either diarrhea or constipation, whichever happens to be present.

14+kitties
September 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
The website about the Mylar blankets sounds like a good idea. The cage I'll keep them in is 4x6x6ft tall, so I could line the walls with it if they dont shred it on me. I was surprised to see that newspaper and straw are better than blankets, I never would have thought of that. I have a lot of old carpeting I'll put on the floor, that cant hurt. Hopefully the Humane soc. will get openings before it gets too bad outside, but I doubt it.

The thing is lining the walls with it won't do a lot to keep the kitties warm. The larger the area the harder their little bodies have to work to try to warm it up. Does that make sense? If you line the walls that's great. But, a smaller, cosier place that they can go into so they can get warm and they don't have to work as hard to stay warm would be better for them IMO.
The one section of that article Scol posted said you could make fairly cheap shelters with the styrofoam coolers. A few of those lined with the Mylar would be fantastic for them. They would each claim one and make it their own.
Don't forget, you are working with a large cage if it is 6 feet tall. There is so much you can do with that. Shelving, little cubbies, a huge cat tree, etc. Think up, not just the floor space. You could use the back wall and pile the small shelters on top of each other to house more cats.
Ok, I am getting carried away here. Thinking the bigger pic. Hope you get the gist of what I am trying to describe.

lindapalm
September 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I tried the pumpkin today for the cat with diharrea. His stool is going to be tested tomorrow for giharrdia cause the albon isnt doing much good, although hes looking and acting much better. The cage is going up tomorrow cause I cant stand to see the other ones all sitting on the side of the road, ones eye is closed shut and the other one is full of scabs or some skin disease. The kitten is definately wild and is going to take a lot of work to tame him. I plan on putting a shelve aroung the sides and back so they can sit and walk off the floor. When it gets colder I'll work on the cage to insulate it and them. Ive got to get them healthy first which I hope wont cost an arm and a leg cause they have to be neutered and at least one has to have teeth pulled

lindapalm
September 16th, 2008, 09:44 PM
My feral cat tested positive for girradia. Ive got him on meds, and in a day or two I plan on capturing one or two more. I know one of them has diharrea and I think its safe to assume he has girradia too cause they all drank from the same dirty stream. Do I have to keep these cats separate when I get them. I'm thinking they might keep reinfesting each other if I dont, or maybe being on the antibiotics will keep them from doing that. It would be so much easier to have them together in a big cage when I have to give them pills,cause I have a really hard time doing that.

lindapalm
September 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Has anyone ever tried using a pill popper on an animal, especially a cat. supposedly you put the pill on the inside of the end of a tube with a plunger on the other end. You insert it in the back of the cats mouth and push the plunger. It looks like a syringe but doesnt have a needle on the end. It would be a lot easier than putting your finger down a cats throat to push the pill down. I just wonder if the cat might choke on the pill if it shoots out with too much force.:

scol
September 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
My vet gave me one of those to try but also gave a few samples of "pill pockets", a hollow treat that you can put the pill inside. Never had to try the popper:)
I don't know if you've seen them. Sometimes a little pricey for essentially soft treats, but I found them worth it.

lindapalm
September 30th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I've tried the pockets on another cat and he sniffed them and walked away. I swear he could smell the pill inside. I suppose its worth a try with this one, he might not be as picky.