Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help for animals in boundary fire

buriedinfur
July 17th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Hi - was wondering if any of you can help us out here.......any of you know any airline people?
The situation is that the boundary fire up in alaska is getting a little out of hand again, the animal control up there has been dealing with it and the evacuated animals for 2 weeks now and they are all getting a bit fatigued, to say the least. Last night the director of Noah's Wish, Terri Crisp, was contacted by the head of the Animal Control and warned that the fire was turning ugly again and they very likely will have to face more evacuations of livestock, and get this, 2,000 sled dogs are in that potential area of evacuation too. Needless to say thier animal control needs some help if this happens.
Noah's wish is a group that has trained volunteers that go to situations like these to rescue and house the affected animals. They were up in BC last year with all the fires that happened here.
Now here is where I am looking for help. Terri Crisp has requested that we (BC noah's wish volunteers) see if we can drum up a way to get to Fairbanks. Noah's wish is a non-profit agency that simply doesn't have the funds to transport thier volunteers. They save it for treating animals with injuries and spending it on the supplies that they cannot get donated during a disaster. So we need to try and get about 10 people from Vancouver, BC to Fairbanks or at least Anchorage, where we could drive to Fairbanks. For very low cost of free, as the volunteers cannot dump large amounts of thier personal income into this. (willing to sleep on the ground, and eat doggy kibble if I have to, but I just can't afford to pay the $1,000 plus flight ticket)
If you are interested in learning about Noah's wish you can view thier website at www.noahswish.com - they have the Boundary fire update posted there, as well as some other fires that they are currently monitoring.
If you can help, or have any thoughts, please post!
Thanks you all! Michelle

Luba
July 17th, 2004, 04:05 PM
OH my goodness, the only help I'm afriad I can offer is support in the way of words of encouragement and prayers.

glasslass
July 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Fascinating site! I just took a quick glimpse, but will peruse it more. I got into the training itinerary and saw the snake and decided that part wasn't for me! :eek: It's wonderful what they are doing! :)

buriedinfur
July 17th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Hi Lass - well this year it is reptiles and horses that they are training heavier on - they switch species every year so that you can get more handling experience in if you have not gotten a lot of exposure to them. They don't make you touch or stay within 2 meters of the snake though if you can't handle them - a lady in our group left the barn and stayed peeking through the doors listening to the talk as she is terrified of them. VERY neat group - wonderful laid back people. Terri Crisp has a couple of books out too for those who are interested in reading about animal disaster work - "Out of harm's way" and "animal disaster rescue". Great read.
Michelle

chico2
July 17th, 2004, 05:19 PM
I saw about the fire on the news and any forest-fire makes me worry about the animals, very seldom do they mention the terrified animals on the news or the heroes that are involved in rescue.
Maybe if your plight gets into the media,some airline or corporation might help out,who knows? Wish I had a plane :(