Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet doesn't freak about Orijen!!!

bendyfoot
September 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM
We brought Heidi for her first checkup last week, and when the vet asked the usual, "what are you feeding her" question, I took a deep breath and said Orijen Puppy, expecting to get a barrage of Hills blahdeblah.

Instead, I hear "Huh, you're the third person to mention that food this week. I'd never heard of it before. I'll have to do some research..." and left it at that. :eek:

Wowie!!! I'm also impressed that so many people in my lil' tiny rural area are conscious of what they're feeding their pets (there's a lot corn-laden obscurely-named crap for 5$/40lb bag at the local grocery stores:yuck:)

kandy
September 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I've never had a vet even ask me what I feed. In fact the only time I've ever had any vet ask what I fed was when my big newfie girl was at Colorado State University's Vet Teaching hospital for surgery. I specifically asked what kind of food they fed to the dogs in recovery (SD & Euk :yuck:) and when they told me, I said that I didn't want my dog eating that and I would leave her food for them. They never batted an eye but did ask if it was raw (which it wasn't). I did get the impression that the tech I was talking to at the time didn't agree with the food they were feeding either.

kanis
September 8th, 2008, 08:28 PM
That's great. My vet freaked when I told him that I was feeding Orijen. You would think that they could look past the marketing pitches and think about the welfare of the animal but I guess money speaks. :(

Etown_Chick
September 10th, 2008, 10:32 PM
My vet has no issues with Orijen. Maybe because it's made here, she's more aware of it? Not sure. At any rate, I wouldn't have worried if she did laugh. What she did say, and I agree with, was to add raw veggies as even the best processed food is still processed.
Scruffy agrees :)

Scary
September 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I am (was) a big fan of the Orijen brand - healthy, no grains, and Canadian! I'm only cutting back my cat's intake as she needs to lose weight...