Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopting a puppy from the spca in Rhode Island?

LaChow
September 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone,

About 5 months ago our 5 year old Lab/Cow mix died of lime disease that he caught as a puppy but the vet never caught. It broke my family's heart, especially because 4 months before he died, we had to put our 13 year old lab down (our lab/chow mix's father).

Now we have a 3 year old husky who's lonely, and we feel like something's missing too.

I heard that adopting a puppy from the spca is really hard now! I was wondering if there are any spca workers out there who could tell me how good of a chance we'd have before we fall in love with a puppy there and get our hearts broken because we get denied.

This is how often the puppy would be left alone in our house:
Monday- 10:30am-2pm
Tuesday- never
Wednesday-10:30am-2pm
Thursday-Never
Friday-never
Saturday-never
Sunday-never

We have a small house, but we have a fenced in yard with a kennel (we don't really use it much anymore) and dog house.

We also have a medium sized indoor crate for our husky (who likes to squeeze in there for naps)

We have a vet who would pledge for us and 14 years of experience with dogs.

We also have an old cat, but he's an outdoor cat and gets along with dogs as well as an old cat can.

As for the residence of the house, it's just my parents, who don't have a record for anything that I know of! My brother, who's 16, and myself, age 20.

Would they use the fact that we had to put down two dogs in one year against us? Does that sound bad? They both were really sick, but I still feel afraid that they're going to judge us and not let us adopt.

Frenchy
September 7th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I heard that adopting a puppy from the spca is really hard now! I was wondering if there are any spca workers out there who could tell me how good of a chance we'd have before we fall in love with a puppy there and get our hearts broken because we get denied.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have your parents fill out an adoption application first and see if they get pre approuve. Then adopt.

LaChow
September 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Maybe it would be a good idea to have your parents fill out an adoption application first and see if they get pre approuve. Then adopt.

Oh, I wasn't aware that you could do that. On their site it made it seem like you needed to fill out the form for a specific puppy, and then from there they pick the most appropriate match. But I'll looking into being pre approved. Thank you!

Frenchy
September 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Oh, I wasn't aware that you could do that.

I don't want to give you false hope , I don't know about that spca but I know you can do this here , with the spcas and rescues.

Good luck ! :fingerscr

BenMax
September 8th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Based on what you wrote, you will not be judged on what happened with the two dogs. My question to you however is who is adopting these dogs?

If the dog is for you, then you will more than likely have to get everyone in the family to go to the shelter or rescue. These people will absolutely screen you to find out who will be the owner of this dog and if it is you, they will ask the what ifs.

Rescues and shelters have no choice but to find out the what ifs and in your case the main question will be: What if you move out of your parent's home, where does the dog go? What if you get a boyfriend that hates dogs, what will you do? What if the dog gets ill, who will pay the vet bill? There are many questions that they will ask. This is not to discriminate against you, but they are obliged to find out if you are personally ready for this responsibility. Rescues and shelters have seen their share of 'what if's'. What if the petstores asked the same questions?? (that will never happen now will it).