Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick dog.....

aushaw
September 7th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Hi I am David from Toronto. Please, I need some help. I have a bichon frise(Gucci) he is 1 yr old and just started sneezing over the past few days. Gucci also has something like stoamch tremors where he looks like he is bringing up but ends up licking his nose. Any ideas?

hazelrunpack
September 7th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Has he been around other dogs recently? Almost sounds like he could be coming down with kennel cough.

Another thing that comes to mind is reverse sneezing. The dog will (usually) stand, sucking in deeply through the nose, making a rough snarking noise, seemingly unable to control it. Generally it's a harmless thing that can be brought on by an irritation in the nose or an allergy.

For either condition, if he's still eating, peeing, pooping, drinking and playing normally, just watch him. But if he starts coughing, has discharge (especially colored discharge) from the nose or eyes, or starts running a fever, take him to the vet.

BenMax
September 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Has he been around other dogs recently? Almost sounds like he could be coming down with kennel cough.

Another thing that comes to mind is reverse sneezing. The dog will (usually) stand, sucking in deeply through the nose, making a rough snarking noise, seemingly unable to control it. Generally it's a harmless thing that can be brought on by an irritation in the nose or an allergy.

For either condition, if he's still eating, peeing, pooping, drinking and playing normally, just watch him. But if he starts coughing, has discharge (especially colored discharge) from the nose or eyes, or starts running a fever, take him to the vet.

Yep - sounds like kennel cough - but again take the dog to the vet. People here can only give you ideas about what the problem MAY be but without actually seeing the dog it is difficult to give you accurate information. Only a vet can tell you what is going on with your puppy. Please bring him in. Even if it is only kennel cough it can result in further complications if it is not treated immediately.

Good luck and let us know how your dog is doing.