Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a stray cat question... & Diamond

Diamondsmum
September 6th, 2008, 09:31 PM
OK.. after reading on here about the many Q's regarding Kittys,, here is my story.

Last fall (so close to a year) a kitty began hanging around here black with a lil tuff off white.. Well our neighbours who live downstairs kinda sorta adopted him.. feed him had a litter box and tried to keep him inside over winter.. but they have a 3yr old.. & the kitty kinda just hung around.. my 1 cat Sid adopted him & protected him from the mean kittys around. (must get a pic of Sid for you all too see)

Anyways they bought him like 6 collars.. & he either loses them or somthing it never stays on him.. (or someone takes em off) We did put up found cat signs back then.

Well the other day my neighbour informs me that "Blackie" (whom they named) is not theres & belongs to the neighbourhood... Therefor she has no intentions of having him fixed or even getting his shots..

Diamond chases him if he wanders in backyard who in turn Sid chases Diamond & when Blackie went to swat her Sid swatted Blackie kinda a knock it off thats a Puppy swat .

Should I be worried about Blackie around Diamond? or go & have him fixed/shots just to ease my mind?

My SIL is a Vet @ York Region Emerg Clinic/404 Veterinary Hospital
In Newmarket. So that isnt an issue..

Just wondering if I should keep the seperated? In case he does have something? he does come up here also so in a way he is the neighbourhood cat. My 2 Kittys are fine with him but he prefers to go downstairs to eat & hang around.

Any input?

14+kitties
September 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
If there is swatting going on and the possibility of teeth or claws connecting then my answer would be yes, for the health of your pets, take Blackie in for a checkup. If SIL is a vet then she gives you free health care, right? :thumbs up Nice!!
Is it possible the collars were the break away ones? That is the best type for outside cats. They are made to let go if the cat gets caught by the collar somewhere.
Why does he go downstairs to eat? Do the neighbours offer better food? :rolleyes:

kathryn
September 6th, 2008, 10:17 PM
It's best to just get Blackie fixed and vaccinated. Might want to combo test him as well just incase.

Buddy has lost SEVERAL collars and I gave up buying him new ones. He is microchipped now so it doesn't really matter. I would prefer him to wear a collar with a tag just incase but they always break away.

TeriM
September 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM
If you have the resources to have Blackie neutered and vaccinated then I would definately recommend doing so. I would also start working on Diamond that cats are not to be chased. You can leave a long line on her and if she goes to chase the cat then a gentle correction would be in order. If she ignores the cat then you should praise and/or give a treat.

Diamondsmum
September 7th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks Guys! Blackie is going in this week SIL also agreed best thing for him.

as for going downstairs for the food.. Well if he cant get up here (say if we are out) he will open downstairs window (and has taught all other neighbourhood kittys to do same) & goes in & enjoys a meal. :D

my SIL has been in the news for her clinic as they have the underwater treadmill & helped lab puppy back to health using it..

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_21676.aspx