Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

enlarged prostrate

joelad
September 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM
my 7 year old highland terrier was an active ever ready to jump into the car for a ride.Since two weeks ago he became lithargic and disinterested.Then I found his tail kept low and walking unnaturally especially with the hind legs.
I noticed him straining when going to the toilet.
The vet diagnosed after a thorough exam. as enlarged prostrate glands with an internal exam.He recommends castration. Long time ago for another dog a different vet refused castration for it would bring on skin rash.
I am confused. Your comments would be much appreciated. Thanks Joe:confused:

badger
September 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I have never heard of a connection between neutering and skin problems.
Do you remember any details because to be honest, it sounds pretty far-fetched to me.
I hope you'll check with another vet about any risks and then give your dog relief by having him neutered. If you leave it, it could mean long-term infection, pills, the whole nine yards. Much better to deal with the problem now.

hazelrunpack
September 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I've never heard of a connection between neutering and skin problems, either. :shrug: But for prostate problems in dogs, neutering offers a cure nearly 100% of the time. You'll need to get the infection in check before the surgery can be done, though.

joelad
September 8th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks very much Badger and Hazelrunpack
I will take your advice and neuter
Joe

badger
September 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Excellent decision :thumbs up