Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has your vet done this to your cat's teeth?

Helene4
September 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Yesterday, I took Kira and Jadzia for their annual checkup. I know that Jadzia has tartar build-up on her teeth. Well I couldn't believe it when the vet scraped it off with her thumbnail!!!:) It didn't come off in little crumbs but in 2 HUGE pieces of tartar (one on each side). She couldn't scrape the teeth way down in the back but at least the teeth that she could reach without to much difficulty are now pearly white!:thumbs up She said when there is enough of it and if there is less at the top of the teeth she can get it off. She couldn't do it to Kira because she didn't have enough on her teeth. It just took a few seconds and Jadzia stayed calm:angel: As a joke she said she would have to add 80$ to my bill for a dental cleanup:laughing:!! Then hubby asked if we should keep the tartar as a souvenir :yuck: Luckily, he was also joking:laugh::crazy:

kathryn
September 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Ewww yucky yuck :yuck: Nope my cats have always had good teeth. Maybe you should get your cats teeth cleaned if they are that bad??

Helene4
September 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that if they need a surgical dental cleaning, my vet will suggest it. In the meantime I hope their new raw diet with chunks of meat will help them avoid too much tartar. You're lucky; I read up on it to know how to prevent it, it seems some cats are prone to tartar buildup which is probably why Jadzia has more of it then Kira and they eat the same things. I use Petzlife gel and it did clean Kira's teeth but didn't seem to do much for Jadzia:shrug:

BusterKitty
September 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
When the vet did that to my friend's cat, we were in awe. My friend tried it at home but it didn't work :p There wasn't very much tartar but the vet was still able to scrape it off with his nail.

chico2
September 6th, 2008, 05:16 PM
My very first vet,did that to one of my cats,at the time I knew nothing about tartar on cats teeth.
You are right,in cats just like with people,some have good strong teeth,others don't.

cpietra16
September 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I tried that on my cats who allow me anywhere near their mouth..it worked for one but not the other...it is cool though, when it works.

growler~GateKeeper
September 7th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I've done that for years :D Sometimes it just takes getting it in the right spot, also you need strong nails :laughing: Works on dogs too but theirs is usually tougher to get off.

Love4himies
September 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
My vet in St Albert, AB used to do this to Snowball's teeth at his annual check up. Puddles doesn't get any tarter build up and she is 12 years old.

Helene4
September 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Well I guess it's not uncommon after all! Growler, maybe you should post pictures or a short video (if it can be done) to show us your tartar removal techniques:laughing:

lm9012
September 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
i just purchased a scaler online, and plan on trying this on my dog! I also bought a liquid that is supposed to help remove the plaque..and I bought a battery operated toothbrush...soooo I'm hoping that the toothbrush with the liquid will help loosen and i can get the plaque off with the scaler. I will let you guys know if this works!

Now as far as doing this on a cat....well, the little I know about cats...this may be difficult to do!

Whatever works though right?? :cool:

growler~GateKeeper
September 9th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Well I guess it's not uncommon after all! Growler, maybe you should post pictures or a short video (if it can be done) to show us your tartar removal techniques:laughing:

:laughing: I'm usually alittle too busy with 1 hand on the cats head/fingers in the mouth and the other hand holding down/fending off :evil: claws :laughing:

kittykate
September 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM
My vet did that last time we went in! It was kind of gross!