Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat farts!

Joeyjoejoe
September 6th, 2008, 03:31 PM
So two days ago, I come home and my 6 month old cat Kyuubi tries to run out. I grabbed him before he gets the chance to run. But as I was putting him down, I got a big whiff of his fart... it was bad :yuck:.

At first I didn't know cats usually don't make a sound when farting, so I thought he pooed near by. After a quick inspection and the smell dissipating, only then did I realize that it was just a really bad fart.

For the next two hours, Kyuubi is still farting. I couldn't take it anymore (and with an empty fridge) I decided to grab some dinner. When I came back, I noticed one of the two cats pooed in the litter (I prayed it was Kyuubi). I cleaned it up and cleaned it again at around 1am (one of them pooed again). I assumed that by now they had both gone.

So fast forward to last night. I wake up in the middle of the night and smell poo. The litter box is fairly close to my bed, so I decided to clean it up right away... but there was nothing there. I looked over to my left and saw Kyuubi sitting on sink counter in the washroom, with a weird look on his face... as I got closer, the smell got stronger... To my horror I see that Kyuubi pooed in the sink!

Here are some facts about Kyuubi:
-he never peed or pooed anywhere other than the litter box
-he was neutered a week ago
-he did act weird the first few days back, but for the last 5 days, he's been back to his normal self (no changes to his eating, sleeping, playing, etc)
-he shares 2 litter boxes with his brother (they only pee in one and do both in the other). I use the Arm & Hammer unscented clumping litter. I have tried the pine pellets in the past, but they don't like it.
-he and his brother do fight a lot, but have shown no territorial or possessive behavior.
-he's eats Wellness Kitten dry (eats the lion share as he is now 50% bigger than his brother and a little doughy). I've been trying of about a month to get them to eat wet food, but they just don't care for it. I believe part of the problem is they just don't know how to eat wet food. They will lick it, but won't eat it. I think I need to borrow someone's cat to show them how to eat wet food :rolleyes: I did not try feeding them wet food for a week leading up to the neutering and a week after.
-his poo in the sink looked very normal in terms of color and texture.

2 poo issues within 2 days, is there cause for concern?

kathryn
September 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
He was neutered recently and that can cause some minor issues for a few days. Otherwise I doubt there is anything wrong with him. When he pooped in the sink, was it runny or anything?

Cats fart all the time. Usually people are just not close enough to them to notice.

Joeyjoejoe
September 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM
When he farted a few days ago, it filled the room... hard to miss. How does something so small produce so much stink?

The poo in the sink was soft, but not runny.

kathryn
September 6th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Probably just has an upset stomach. I've had times where Kasey would go threw a week of having an upset stomach and have mushy poop and would fart and it would stink up the whole room as well.

Just like people can get a stomach bug, animals can too. Since he recently underwent surgery, anesthesia can cause stomach problems. There is not much you can do right now, but of course if it gets worse, take him back to the vets. I'm pretty certain it would just be an upset stomach.

ancientgirl
September 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM
The only time I've ever smelled a super nasty fart from any of mine was when Oksana was a little kitten and she'd gotten some tummy parasite.

Other than that, I do smell a fart now and then, only not as pungent as that first one by Oksana.

All of my cats lick their food too. :shrug: They sort of lap it up. I figure that's just how they eat. It took me a while to get them used to totally wet, but I did managed to do it, but like I said it took me a while.

Joeyjoejoe
September 26th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Ok so Kyuubi pooed in the sink again. He seems to know what he was doing was wrong as he was trying to wake me up early this morning to show me what was in the sink. (If Kyuubi wants to wake me up, he'll get on top of me do this weird dance of kneading, stomping, jumping, and his version of meowing.) I don't get why he would do this. I heard cats especially don't like to eat near where they do their business, but Kyuubi loves to drink from that sink. Sometimes naps there too.

Maybe Azrael did it and Kyuubi was trying to rat him out. :shrug:

They have two litter boxes, but mostly only use just one box. That box was the same one they have been using since they were little and looks like they might have out grown it. I'm going to get a bigger box to today and see if that helps.

sugarcatmom
September 26th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Definitely try the bigger box and see how that goes. The other thing to think about is whether he's having some kind of intestinal issues. How is his poop? Soft? Hard? Frequent stinky gas isn't normal and might indicate a food intolerance or some sort of GI problem. If he feels uncomfortable, it's possible he's seeking out locations that are comforting to him (like the sink that he naps in) to do his business. My cat had pretty bad diarrhea on my bed once (while I was in it!) because that was his "happy place". When he occasionally gets constipated, he first tries going in the litter box, but then later migrates to a cozy hidey-hole somewhere like behind the couch or in the closet, where he feels safe.

BenMax
September 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
My cat had pretty bad diarrhea on my bed once (while I was in it!) because that was his "happy place". When he occasionally gets constipated, he first tries going in the litter box, but then later migrates to a cozy hidey-hole somewhere like behind the couch or in the closet, where he feels safe.

Don't feel bad sugarcatmom - my persian thought that my head while sleeping would be an ideal spot.

Trying a bigger litter box is a great idea, also changing the brand of the litter helped my situation as well....or rather her situation.

AmericanBullMom
September 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Don't feel bad sugarcatmom - my persian thought that my head while sleeping would be an ideal spot.

Trying a bigger litter box is a great idea, also changing the brand of the litter helped my situation as well....or rather her situation.

Ah! Foose and Mako would be in BIG trouble if the pooed on me!

I hope you get this worked out, being neuterd a week ago may play a part in it... maybe its still a bit painful...

Have you taken him to check for a UTI? Usually they PEE outside the litterbox, not usually pooing, but maybe you just havent found that little pee present yet... Foose had a UTI and would pee anywhere soft...

(Still having visions of kitties being locked out of the bedroom for pooing on my head!:yuck:lol)