Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A surprise last night.

ancientgirl
September 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Last night I woke up around 1:30am. OMG, the gang was just driving me nuts. They had zoomies up the ying yang.

When I woke up and managed to focus as well as I can without my glasses, I realized that Czarina was on my bed, with Vlad looking like he was guarding me:laughing:

She'd somehow pushed the screen open and gotten out. I briefly thought about just leaving her out, but I put her back in the kitchen. I felt guilty, but here's why I did it.

Once I get in bed, everybody wants to get in bed. Czari likes to hang out on the bed too. When she's on the bed, she gets very hissy and swatty with the others if they get too close, and it's hard not to get close on a Queen bed with 5 cats.

The other 4 are used to sleeping on the bed, and I almost feel like if I let Czari sleep on the bed, they'd feel like they couldn't do it anymore because they'd be avoiding her and she's almost be chasing them off. Ideally I'd love for there to be harmony on the bed, but Czari would not go for it. So, I figured she might be better off sleeping in the kitchen on her little bed by herself.

I felt bad, I don't want her to think she's not as important as the others, but I wonder if she would see it that way. I have been leaving her out with the others every other day. Today was her day out of the kitchen and I know she no doubt spent a good bit of time on the bed. When I got home everybody, except Maks who was waiting to make sure it was mommy, came to the screen to meet me. So I think she's getting on well with the others while I'm at work, plus Miguel checks in on them too.

I don't know at what point I should just let her be out at night, or if maybe she would be better off having her alone time at night, just to sort of chill.

Any thoughts? Do you guys think letting her be alone in the kitchen at night is a good for keeping the peace?

14+kitties
September 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM
At this point I don't think it's a bad idea to leave her in the kitchen at night. You give her lots of attention before she goes in. She has the bed all day. Let the rest of the crew have it at night for now. If she is doing so well during the day and Miguel is checking them maybe you could start leaving her out every day. Just my :2cents:.

ancientgirl
September 5th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I'm leaving her out today, and she'll have the weekend. But I still think she needs a day or two where she's got a break from the others. I notice sometimes when she's been out all day, I have to put her in the kitchen sooner in the evening. It's like she's been around the others all day and so she's not as tolerant at some point, then she not only starts excessively hissing and swatting at them, but at me as well.

I don't get the feeling from her she's ready to spend so much time consecutively out yet.

Love4himies
September 5th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I agree with 14+'s thoughts. Sweet Pea seems to get very irritated with the kittens when she has been with them too long and wants to be locked up in the bedroom to sleep in peace. The hissing is telling everybody to back off, I want to be by myself right now.

ancientgirl
September 5th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Yeah, she certainly needs her alone time after an entire day around the others.

Before I left home, I was on the bed and she started to get bitey and hissy with me. :rolleyes: I briefly thought about putting her in the kitchen, but I figure she'd be okay. The others spend most of the day off in their own little areas napping, and so does she so no need to close her off in the kitchen until later this evening.