Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Fall Pond

lotus
September 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I know we hate to admit it but fall is around the corner.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/lotus02/IMGP0069.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/lotus02/IMGP0067.jpg

clm
September 4th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Pretty pond. What kind of fish do you have? I see you must have heron trouble, looks like fishing line strung over it.

Cindy

14+kitties
September 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Very pretty pond. I am envious. Do you lift the Elephant Ear bulb at the end of the season or can you leave it in the ground? I don't know how cold you guys get in the winter. :shrug:

lotus
September 5th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the compliments.
Cindy ya the heron are bad here we have even had king fishers fly in. I keep koi in there.

14+ The large leaves at the back are: at the right ,Arrow head that grows enormous , to the left is my Lotus big round leaves. They stay in through the winter. Our last couple of winters not bad but this year I have a feeling we're gona get dumped on.
Either the next few weeks we will be doing a huge clean out of plants ,or if we get lazy first thing in the fall.

glasslass
September 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Beautiful pond! I'm interested in the lines to deter herons. We had an egret visit our pond last Spring. Are the lines effective to keep the herons from approaching from the side?

lotus
September 6th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Those large birds take off on an angle much like an airplane so they need open space to take off, if they see something that they could get caught up in they leave.

14+kitties
September 6th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the compliments.
Cindy ya the heron are bad here we have even had king fishers fly in. I keep koi in there.

14+ The large leaves at the back are: at the right ,Arrow head that grows enormous , to the left is my Lotus big round leaves. They stay in through the winter. Our last couple of winters not bad but this year I have a feeling we're gona get dumped on.
Either the next few weeks we will be doing a huge clean out of plants ,or if we get lazy first thing in the fall.

Arrow head? Neat. Looks very similar to a plant we call Elephant Ears. But the leaves may be a little differently shaped. I will have to take a look at mine. We have to lift our bulbs, which are huge, in the fall because if not, they will freeze.
After you do your clean out you can come do mine. :D

kathryn
September 6th, 2008, 10:21 PM
What is sitting on the dock in the second picture? It looks like a rabbit :confused: Very nice landscaping there...

lotus
September 7th, 2008, 07:28 AM
What is sitting on the dock in the second picture? It looks like a rabbit :confused: Very nice landscaping there...

That's my pig statue. He has my thermometer tied to him ,I quit feeding the fish when the water gets cold.
14+ I used to have elephant ears but, lost them when we moved 9 years ago. I don't know why the arrow head grows so big up there.

Here are a few pics from a year after we put the pond in about 5 years ago.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/lotus02/pond.jpg

This is the stream in front of the pond.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/lotus02/Pond1003.jpg

faranya
October 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Gorgeous pond! What lovely landscaping. That gazebo is really interesting! It looks like a restful spot to just sit, relax and watch the koi. I sure envy you that lotus. I tried growing them here but the soil is very acidic and I suspect they don't like it much. We're a zone 6b so it can't be the climate. I started a lot of them from seed and got nice young plants but they didn't survive past the first year.

We get a lot of osprey from July through September. My one pond is really large so it's hard to keep enough line strung across it, but this year I really went crazy and crisscrossed it everywhere. Then a young osprey decided to test the system and ended up floating in the water with fishing line wrapped around him! Needless to say, he was quite unimpressed. We managed to haul him out, gently removed the lines (with work gloves on) and set him on the bank to dry off. He stayed there an hour and seemed totally unafraid of us. Then he flew away. Two days later, he was back for another look but didn't try again.

So if you don't have osprey, then you're lucky! They are really persistent.

Lovely photos.

lotus
October 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks the pond looks really bad now everything is brown now.:sad:

babymomma
October 27th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Gorgous pond pics!!