Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray Cat Eating Dead Rabbit

Sneaky2006
July 16th, 2004, 10:17 PM
We have tons of wild bunnies running around our neighborhood. Earlier this evening I noticed a dead bunny in my front yard, it looked like the head wasn't attached. I'm not into discarding dead animals and I also had 4 kids here with me. I thought they shouldn't be around this so I was going to wait for my husband to get home and have him do it. Just a bit ago one of the kids were leaving and I looked out at the bunny and a cat was eating it. I tried to scare it away but it would not leave!! It may be what killed it in the first place.
I don't really know first hand what stray cats eat but I'm guessing this isn't good for them, I mean with disease and all. I went in the house for some cat food and when I came back it was gone. I put the food out so maybe if he comes back he will eat the cat food instead. We've also had birds in our yard with their heads off, do you think it's cats killing them?

buriedinfur
July 16th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Cats are quite adept at bringing down prey, and yes, they can rip thier heads off. this is quite distasteful to us, but its natural to them. As well if you have coyotes in your area (they will go quite far into town too) they can kill and discard the heads too. (i was told by a Conservation officer that the head is just heavy and a waste to these critters as there isn't a heck of a lot to eat on it).
If you have by-law in your area they may have a mandate to pick up dead animals - check with your city.
Is there any feral cat rescue groups in your area that can help spay and neuter the extra cats? Otherwise you may find yourself buried in kitties.
Good luck.......
Michelle

Sneaky2006
July 16th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I don't think there are coyotes in this area.
We do have places to fix cats, for cheap! if you can catch em! There isn't that many cats I see around here, on farms mostly.

Luba
July 16th, 2004, 11:22 PM
It's lovely that you are concerned but I'm not sure there is much that you can do. Cats catch any number of small creatures, sometimes for sport and sometimes for meal.

chico2
July 17th, 2004, 06:57 AM
We once found 4 baby-squirrels with their heads bitten off,a fifth was ok and rescued and nursed by a friend of mine.
It was puzzeling since they were not eaten and we were told,it was more than likely coons,since the nest was high in my pine-tree and cats usually do not climb pine-trees.

Spoiled
July 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Cats are usualy OK after eating animals like that. I wouldn't be worried, but I'd take the cat to a rescue group or Humane Society to find a good home.

Sneaky2006
July 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I've tried luring this cat in but no go so far. I've seen it a few times (I think). I'm not sure if it's the same one cause it's usually at night and I can't get a good look. Well, something is eating the food I put out but I don't know what! :)