Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So proud of my dad!!

dogcatharmony
September 4th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I really needed to share this.....I am so proud of my dad today!!

My father's cat Pasha passed away this spring from cancer. He has been totally heartbroken since then even though his other kitty Prissy is still around. Pasha was my dad's soul-kitty, I know it's not nice to pick favorites but she was just lovebutter around him and only him. Just a bit of backgroudn info.....these were my dad's first pets ever, he was a farm boy who was only shown animals are to eat or work for us. When he got Pasha and Prissy as kittens they quickly wrapped him around their furry paws and he felt the love of a furry friend.

So I was at their place for lunch today and when it was over my dad got up and said he needed to make a plate for the stray. I asked what was going on and my mom filled me in that he had taken to feeding and making friends with a stray cat that has been wandering the neighbour hood for some time. He believes she was abandoned when people up the street moved out, he sees her laying on the stairs to the empty house all the time. My dad walks a lot and as soon as she sees him she runs out and follows him for his entire walk then comes back for dinner and a belly rub.

She looks like she has had a rough summer, she has long grey hair that is filthy and matted, doesn't look to skinny now that he has been feeding her. He told us that he is going to work on bringing her to live with them. My mom (who is not exactly a pet lover) kinda freaked.....saying do you know how much money it would take to get her de-parasited, possibly spayed and vet checked, groomed etc... My dad looked her straight in the eye and said "Judy, that is why I have a job and make MY own money!" :thumbs up way to go dad!!!!

So next time I am there I will bring my camera, plus I am going to go through old posts so I can give my dad some tips on how to get stray kitty. She was sitting in the bushes while I was there but only came out to wrap herself around my dad's legs and accept a few pats before scarfing her dinner and hiding again.

I think he may have found another soul-kitty:lovestruck:

Jim Hall
September 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM
awww good for dad i hane that conversatiom woth my girlfriend from time to time when i make friends with a stray good on ya dad

phoozles
September 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
That's a great story - :fingerscr that it won't be too hard to catch her!

kandy
September 4th, 2008, 05:08 PM
That's awesome!!! I know your dad was totally devastated by Pasha going to the bridge. That he's opened his heart again, and to a possibly abandoned and/or homeless kitty is great! :angel2:

14+kitties
September 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
What a heartwarming story. Thank you so much for sharing. Give your dad a big huge :grouphug: from me and my bunch next time you see him!

Love4himies
September 4th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Way to go dad!!!!! Let him know he has fans throughout the world on pets.ca and a big hug from me too.:grouphug:

ancientgirl
September 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Oh boy, this bought tears to my eyes. How wonderful your dad is helping this poor homeless kitty. It really won't take that much money to get her/him checked out, and chances are she's healthy and just needs a bit of cleaning up.

I can't wait to see pictures.

Ford Girl
September 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah for dad!! This thread made me smile and almost choke up, seriously, I understand the farm boy thinking of food and work...so this in itself is great, and to say that about his money - on cats..hahah! Keep us posted...and yes please to pics!!

Sylvie
September 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Way to go :thumbs up

I can see why you are so proud of him Give him a big :grouphug:

clm
September 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'd be proud of him too. You watch, she'll be living with them soon and be the happiest cat in the world. Your dad is superman as far as I'm concerned.

Cindy

Frenchy
September 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
ahhh that is so cute of your dad ! He's going to save her life :cloud9:

:thumbs up to your dad !

JennieV
September 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM
:thumbs up:thumbs up
Awesome idea your dad has! And we are all proud of him!

hazelrunpack
September 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM
:cloud9: Lucky kitty having your dad as her :angel:.

:goodvibes: for an easy transition for her and a new soul-kitty for your dad!

BrightEyes
September 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Good for your dad! That's one lucky kitty :lovestruck: I hope we get to see pics soon. And here's some good :goodvibes: that this friendship/bond strengthens.

sugarcatmom
September 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM
That is absolutely heartwarming! I remember when Pasha was ill and I felt so sad for you and your family when she died. It's wonderful that your dad has so much love to give and that he's willing to take in this poor soul. What a sweetheart. :lovestruck:

Toonces
September 6th, 2008, 06:18 PM
What a great story thanks for sharing, I would be so proud if that was my dad, :fingerscr that this works out for him and his new little friend, sounds like they both need eachother

dogcatharmony
September 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks everyone!!

I have to say everytime I think about it, it brings a smile to my face. Just seeing this big, shaved head, tattooed guy trying to sweet talk a kitty out of the bushes to come and eat.......well it really tugs at my heart.

I am hoping to get over with my camera next week and try to get a few pics. I asked him to try, and he said he doesn't know how to use all that "fancy" computer stuff, he is still trying to learn how to use the remote for their new tv.:D So hopefully I can catch the two of them on camera.

I asked him what Prissy thought of the other kitty. They let her on the deck on the nice days. He said she really seems like she doesn't care that the other cat is there. She will look but then goes back to bird watching and sunning herself. Maybe she doesn't mind another friend either?? Hard to say, things may be all fine and dandy with a strange cat until they come into your house. But so far so good.

Frenchy
September 6th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Maybe she doesn't mind another friend either?? Hard to say, things may be all fine and dandy with a strange cat until they come into your house. But so far so good.

As long as they are introduced slowly , new kitty in another room for the first days / weeks , a couple minutes a day together .... it's doable.

t.pettet
September 6th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Your dad deserves lots of hugs.

Tundra_Queen
September 10th, 2008, 02:45 AM
What a great story!! I'm glad your dad is looking after that poor kitty. Must have been terrible for it to have it's owners to have left him behind. Poor little thing, must have been so scared all by itself. I don't know how some people can be so cruel! :mad:

krdahmer
September 10th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Another hug for your dad from us here too!!:grouphug::highfive: What a great guy! :goodvibes: and :pray: that she is easily caught and settles in quickly to her new forever home!